Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-13-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
Greg Everett
Administrator

Default Glute-Ham Sit-ups and Lumbar Compression

What's the experience of people with GHD sit-ups in terms of lumbar spine compression at the bottom of the movement? Do you find this occurs only with tight iliopsoas not allowing the pelvis to rotate posteriorly and take up some of the ROM? Or is it a given regardless of flexibility without the fulcrum being moved all the way under the lower back?

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:26 AM   #2
Steve Shafley

I have never had a problem with lumbar compression doing GHR sit-ups. I have been doing them for well over 15 years now, off and on.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #3
Greg Everett
Administrator

Where do you place the pad/fulcrum when you do them? Under your glutes? Under your lower back?

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 10-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
Steve Shafley

The pad is under my glutes. I generally brush the floor with my hands as well. I have the feeling this issue is very specific from one person to another. There are at least two old training partners of mine who didn't tolerate this as well as I did.

When you say:
Quote:
Do you find this occurs only with tight iliopsoas not allowing the pelvis to rotate posteriorly and take up some of the ROM?
I think you are probably close to the matter, because I don't have tight hip flexors, and rarely have had them in the past.

I will generally do GHR sit-ups as have been described in the CFJ and on the CF forum, but sometimes, afterwards, I'll slide fowards so the pad is underneath my lower back, and do a crunch or sit-up like movement (like you would on a swiss ball or ab mat). For me, this brutalizes my abs.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Robb Wolf

Somewhat related...how much dynamic movement does one want on a GHR? Is it "good" to have some back extension or does one fix the hips and completely use the glutes hammies? Different situations?

This thing from BFS is pretty good:
http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/...Ham%20Book.pdf

Also!!! What is some loading/frequency? I found this from Difranco's site:
http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...e_04-04-02.htm

I've used the GHR intermittently, mainly as a finisher. I know Rutman uses the heck out of it.
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #6
Steve Shafley

Somewhere in some of Charniga's or Yessis' translated literature is are specific recommendation for weekly GHR repetitions according to your level as a lifter.

I prefer not to break at the hips, and make the hamstrings carry more load.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
Ben Kaminski

Are two different things being discussed here? Greg mentions putting the pad under your glutes or lower back, which seems to indicate a "Jim Baker" situp on the GH device. However, the other posts reference hamstring work and seem to indicate a "Glute Ham Raise." I'm not nitpicking, just confused and trying to make sense of it all.
Ben Kaminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:58 PM   #8
Robb Wolf

Ben-
Yep! I changed gears and asked about GHR/GHBE whereas Gregs original question concerned GHB-sit-ups.

Last edited by Robb Wolf : 10-19-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:38 AM   #9
Greg Everett
Administrator

way to hijack my thread, robb. you want to go out with my girlfriend too?

just kidding of course.

as far as whether or not to allow back movement in a GHR, I say depends on the circumstances. Generally, I like including back movement--I get enough fixed back work as it is--the o-lifts, squatting, pulls, stiff-leg deadlifts, etc.--so the GHR is a chance to strengthen the back dynamically.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 10-25-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
way to hijack my thread, robb. you want to go out with my girlfriend too?

just kidding of course.

as far as whether or not to allow back movement in a GHR, I say depends on the circumstances. Generally, I like including back movement--I get enough fixed back work as it is--the o-lifts, squatting, pulls, stiff-leg deadlifts, etc.--so the GHR is a chance to strengthen the back dynamically.
Hmm...Performance, Health Longevity...and Girlfriend swapping. I think we may be on to something here.

I think if one is really hammering the Glutes/hammies the locked back, non-dynamic version is the way to go.

Robb's Blog