Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 12-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
Wendy Nelson

I'm sure someday the numb nuts will thank you for your great sacrifice! Glad to hear the bar is working out, mine should be here in a coupla days!
Wendy Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
glennpendlay

Butch,

I am glad you like the nexgen bars. caleb and donny train with them everyday, we also have a couple of the new needle bearing bars, but at least one of my lifters, sometimes more than one is on the nexgen HD every day, and they dont mind them at all. Today caleb did a couple of 185kg clean and jerks on the nexgen HD bar, and rachael did a 120kg clean and a set of 5 with 125kg in the back squat (not bad for a chick!!!) on the HD bar...

anyway, we continue to test them with what i think are weights in excess of what most are doing... we want to make the best bar we can. if you have any specific comments on the bar, please email me or something... love to hear ffeedback...

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #13
Greg Everett
Administrator

Glenn was kind enough to send us one to check out, and so far it's holding up well. I wouldn't sell them if I didn't think it was a good product.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
Daniel Hartmann

Can anyone comment on how the HD bar compares to the Samson bar Werksan sells?
Daniel Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
John Janecek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
Glenn was kind enough to send us one to check out, and so far it's holding up well. I wouldn't sell them if I didn't think it was a good product.

Greg,

This post of yours is a couple years old, hows the bars holding up?

I am looking at getting bars for my 22 platforms at my high school soon.

I have trained on Elieko many times and love them (just sold my old training bar to a friend who's cheap garage bar broke, I think my bar was atleast 10-15 years old and worked great)....

I know Glenn and trust him, I TRUST that the Eleiko bars will be here till I retire, and I have known Leo for over 15 years and trust him so can't go wrong with Werksan either if I can get them...

Just curious, if you could do it all over and had the money to put new training bars on ALL your platforms what would you do?

I guess we all know by now if TROY bumper made a bar what I'd say about that...By the way, got the VTX's as replacements for them-25's are already starting to work loose on the metal part, great bumpers these people make....

John Janecek
John Janecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
Greg Everett
Administrator

We still use Werksan as our real barbell. We have 2-3 of them per platform and that is really what our lifters use. We just ordered more in fact. We do have a good number of the new pendlay/MD bars that are used mainly for squatting and for our lifting classes since we're not as concerned about them getting abused by non-weightlifters who don't always have the same respect for equipment as lifters do.

The pendlay bars are reasonably good for the price, but nothing compares to werksan or eleiko, no matter how badly people want it to. We have had the same werksan bars in here since we moved to this location almost 4 years ago and they are in perfect working order.

The only issue we've ever had with a werksan bar is a broken snap ring on my own barbell that I bought in 2006 - and that was from one of the aforementioned non-lifters dropping it crooked. They sent me a new snap ring kit and I replaced it and have been training on it again with no problems since.

Honestly, I've been telling people for years that if you really want a CHEAP bar, go with the black BFS bar - I have used those for our general clientelle since 2004 and they hold up great, spin surprisingly well, and don't bend easily. Granted, these are not being used by weightlifters, but we do have some pretty strong clients using them multiple times daily for squats, deads, and even Olympic lifts. I've squatted on them at times when the gym was crowded at 180+ and not had a problem. And for $130 or so a pop, you don't care so much if they do get damaged.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 09-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
John Janecek

Default Thanks Greg

It looks like we'll buy them sometime soon(?) so the info is really appreciatted.

I'm a pain in the ass to these kids here about dropping bars, they set them down till they have bumpers on them then they have to drop them a certain way to guide them to to ground.

I watch those videos of those guys warming up for the olympics and they just throw those nice new bars on the ground, makes me sick...I wonder how many times you can do that with a nice bar before it breaks or bends?

Thats one reason I would never buy a bar thats been used at one of those meets, I'll get the one bar thats trashed.....
Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Greg Everett
Administrator

Yes, I have the same problem - people don't respect equipment they don't have to pay for. I yell at the people in the gym on a fairly regular basis for treating gear like shit, because I DO have to pay for it.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 09-19-2012, 08:17 PM
John Janecek
This message has been deleted by John Janecek.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #19
John Janecek

Default Well said...

I don't have to pay for it BUT my job is to keep things in order in a 6,000 sq ft wtroom with over 500 athletes a day coming through....

If it breaks the AD wants to know why I didn't tell them "not to do that", like you it never ends...

You think those bars last long that they just throw down?? I even saw a video of this chinese hwt gal at THEIR OWN training facility warming up with a nice bar than just BAM throws it on the ground from about chest ht??

WTF?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #20
Greg Everett
Administrator

Dropping empty bars is definitely not improving their longevity. Without bumpers to absorb some of the force, you're probably getting some pitting inside the sleeve from the bearings over time.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal