Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
David Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
There's a mild miss-match between your first and second post, mostly one in which you claim to be squatting twice a week, but in your listed program, you're HALF SQUATTING ONE TIME PER WEEK.
Sorry, I just forgot I did once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
First, What are goals? Second, how much are you paying your coach?

I say "goals" because i can't read between the lines on anything in that program and sort it out. The diet is very reminease (sp) of power lifters trying to move up a weight class - yet, the program is devoid of that focus. Maybe perhaps wrestling? And you're wanting to get chubby without the benefits of squats and deadlifts? I say "how much are you paying" because there is something amiss on that front.

I am technically a coach (USAW), but I've never and will never charge anyone for any advice I give or program I help design, etc. But there is something devoid of focus in your program.

You're shallow squatting one day a week and your squat is stagnant? I was going to say - as Brian recommended - squat more. But after seeing the program, i'm not sure I can truly give you any advise that would fall within the guidelines.

all the best, Arden
Goals- 40" vertical jump and to dunk from free throw line, very fast sprint like Kobe Bryant, to win basketball games(that's what I told him) and a strong upper body(was, but not anymore now). Now I also want to be explosive.

I paid him USD$100. He is Kelly Baggett. I've just contacted him through email and never met him b4.

What's USAW? USA Weightlifting association?
David Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:51 AM   #12
Jay Ashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawson View Post
Sorry, I just forgot I did once.

Goals- 40" vertical jump and to dunk from free throw line, very fast sprint like Kobe Bryant, to win basketball games(that's what I told him) and a strong upper body(was, but not anymore now). Now I also want to be explosive.

I paid him USD$100. He is Kelly Baggett. I've just contacted him through email and never met him b4.

40" vertical? dunk from free throw line?

those are lofty goals... how about starting smaller and taking steps to improve your game before trying to be like Mike
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:57 AM   #13
Aaron Austin

So, you couldn't read the article from Kelly's site here: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...?t=4942&page=3 where you wanted to be faster in the 100m.
Now, you tell us you hired the guy to be you coach with a pricing package that he doesn't offer: http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/consultation.html and you want to squat more than 100 kg, but you really want to dunk from the free throw line and jump 40" straight up - despite being 5' 6".
You are the first person on my ignore list.
Aaron Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #14
Arden Cogar Jr.

The training part of the program looks suited to your goals. Not sure about the diet though.

Given the parameters that you are operating under, it's difficult to truly focus on improving your squat. Seriously.

What is your current vertical? How close are you to dunking from the free throw line? What's your age?

all the best,
Arden
Old 12-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #15
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Yes. I took the course to coach my daughters and to set up an ECG ("East Coast Gold") satelite in West Virginia.

If the Regional coaching course is offered next year during "Weightlifting Camp" at Moorestown, I'll take that too.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #16
David Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
The training part of the program looks suited to your goals. Not sure about the diet though.

Given the parameters that you are operating under, it's difficult to truly focus on improving your squat. Seriously.

What is your current vertical? How close are you to dunking from the free throw line? What's your age?

all the best,
Arden
I'm 24" vertical. From the free throw line, well extremely far. 21.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #17
Jay Ashman

David...

I don't even know where to begin. I think you are a troll, but let's assume you are not.

I checked out that page Aaron posted about the pricing package and your package isn't on there, and I would be amazed if a guy programmed half squats in a strength program designed to maximize vertical jumping. That makes absolutely zero sense to me...

Plus you are 21, and you have a 24" vertical and want to hit 40" and then dunk from the free throw line as well? Do you realize that these are impossible goals? It takes an exceptional athlete to be able to do the free throw line dunk, one with ungodly amounts of vertical leaping ability as well as explosivness.

http://vertcoach.com/highest-vertical-leap.html

Some of the most explosive NBA players are around 40", with some above.

If you aren't a troll (which I doubt) I strongly suggest lowering your expectations by a large amount and analyzing your program further.

First you want to get sprinting speed, now you want to increase your vertical and bound from the free throw line like Dr. J. I just don't think you are for real.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #18
David Lawson

Jay, don't make me do this. Why the damn that you ppl keep referring to the pricing package. How long was this, it was over a year ago I bought his program, couldn't his damn program change price during that damn period?! What's the damn big deal on the price. It just went up by USD$50, don't businesses up their price if they have alot of demand.

You want proof, I have email exchanges that have him claiming he received the money. Jay, how stupid can you be when you send ppl email of their money being claimed, that's not like a cheque is it? How're ppl gonna know that you actually paid?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #19
Jay Ashman

Quote:
Jay, don't make me do this. Why the damn that you ppl keep referring to the pricing package. How long was this, it was over a year ago I bought his program, couldn't his damn program change price during that damn period?! What's the damn big deal on the price. It just went up by USD$50, don't businesses up their price if they have alot of demand.

You want proof, I have email exchanges that have him claiming he received the money. Jay, how stupid can you be when you send ppl email of their money being claimed, that's not like a cheque is it? How're ppl gonna know that you actually paid?
Simmer down tough guy, this is the internet, and judging by your previous posts, it appeared fishy, plus that is an odd program to help a guy increase speed and vertical. Its basically zero leg strength development, you are squatting half-squats once a week and doing depth jumps. You need to get stronger, period, while working on your jumping ability.

Then you have these otherworldly goals of dunking from the free throw line and doing a 40" vertical jump, don't you see how lofty those goals are? Sure, we would all love that, but realistically that isn't going to happen.

Regardless, good luck with your training, I hope you find what you are looking for, but when you come off in one thread about increasing your speed and you ignore all our suggestions of reading material because you don't want to read something that long, and then you make a thread like this... how do you expect people to react?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #20
Gavin Harrison

Why the damn are you such alot damn troll damn?! How damn free tiem damn you have to damn stuff up from damn nothing?
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote