Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
Ryan Secor

Default Sunday 01.03.10

REST DAY

I'm going to try to start charting my sleep on here as well. Got a broken 10-11ish hours of sleep last night and I'm already really tired (9:00 here). Jemma (our Great Dane) kept waking us up having to go to the bathroom - she must've ate something bad because she was pooping like every hour or 2... which meant I only slept in those increments. At least she won't go in the house and barks/whines when she has to go.

Been eating ok today - I'm going to end up having probably around 4 meals which is definitely doing better. My goal for this next week though is perfection -- i.e. eating more frequently (5-7x daily). I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to get my ankle checked out and I'm hoping he lets me start working again. He may put me in a light duty capacity just so I don't re-injure it (plus I still can't run too well), but I'm itching to get back working again so we'll see what happens. Tomorrow also begins my 5/3/1 cycle... definitely looking forward to it! I planned out some metcons to add, but I'm really worried about the volume on my body so we'll see how it goes -- I figure I'll just listen and respond as my body tells me.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #12
Ryan Secor

Default Monday 01.04.10

Sleep - 9ish hours (dogs woke me up about 4 times)

Warmup:
12 min AMRAP - Did 4 rounds
10 Wall Squats
10 Halos (1 pood)
10 Pump Stretch
Foam Roll
Back Squat - 135#x5; 175#x5, 205#x3

Workout
Back Squat
225# x 5
260# x 5
295# x 5+ - Did 10 reps (hammies and butt were fried!)
140# x 5x10

RDL 3x10 - 135# (good stretch & work in hammies)
Core Work

-then-

AMRAP in 12 min:
20 KB Swings (1.5 pood)
1 min Jump Rope
20 KB Swings
1 min Mountain Climbers
20 KB Swings
1 min Burpees
20 KB Swings
1 min Rowing

Made it through 1.5 rounds (Mountain Climbers on the 2nd round).

Cool-Down
Pavel's Relax into Stretch Protocol

Most of you probably recognize the stuff I'm following. First is the 5/3/1 protocol - I basically broke everything up into 4 workouts/week. This is the focus of my training - I'm focusing on becoming stronger and a decent powerlifter (maybe eventually I'll do some strongman stuff - that'd be fun). The metcons are based on Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell. One thing I'm focusing on is focusing on only a few movements while being conditioned. I'd rather be really good at a few than mediocre at everything - which is why I'm focusing on my powerlifts (with some light assistance work) and a little bit on KB's. I've only recently been introduced to KB's and I enjoy the workout they provide as well as how healthy they make my joints feel (especially shoulders). I took a look at the Enter the KB program and I don't think it'll provide too much of a load on my CNS BUT will hopefully address my conditioning issues. This KB workout was deceptively hard. When I first looked at it I thought it would be jokingly easy, but it really killed me. The whole workout left me feeling really good... hips and hammies are going to be sore tomorrow I'm sure, but I feel good..
Old 01-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #13
Ryan Secor

Sleep - 8 1/2 hours

Warmup
10 Wall Squats
10 Halos (1 pood)
10 Pump Stretch

Foam Roll
Press - 65#x5, 80#x5, 90#x3

Workout
Strict Press
100# x 5
120# x 5
135# x 5+ - Did 7 reps
65# x 5x10

Barbell Curls 3x10 - 65# (probably should've gone heavier)
Ring Dips 3x10 (unweighted)

-then-

5 minutes:
Turkish Get-Ups... mostly just practice with 1 and some 1.5 pood. Lost count of reps

Cool-Down
Quick Stretching and Foam Rolling
Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
Ryan Secor

Sleep - 6 hours (laid in bed again for almost 2 hours before I fell asleep - that's about a week now it's been happening to me - I've been taking my ZMA and relaxing before bed but I can't fall asleep)

REST DAY.

Was thinking about doing some active recovery work - running or rowing or something similar, but I'm really sore (especially hips and hammies) and want to give myself a day to recover a bit more. Been eating well today - just enjoying the day off. Trying to get myself adjusted to a new sleep pattern (going to bed earlier and waking up earlier).. it may be premature - I will find out today or tomorrow what shift I'll be working starting next week. I've been on nights (6 PM - 6 AM) almost my entire career and I'm really hoping I can finally start working a regular day shift because those night hours just kill me physically, mentally, etc, etc.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #15
Ryan Secor

Default Thursday 01.07.10

So I just realized I've forgotten to title the last two days of workouts and I can't figure out how to edit titles...

Sleep - 11 hours (I was TIRED!)

Warm-Up
10 Wall Squats
10 Halos (1 pood)
10 Pump Stretch

Foam Roll
Deadlift 190#x5, 240#x5, 285#x3

Workout
Deadlift
310# x 5
360# x 5
405# x 5+ - did 7 reps... utalized double overhand grip so my grip went first
190# x 5x10

Barbell Rows 5x10 - 135# (gotta tweak my assistance work programming - I know)

-then-

5 min of Turkish Getups

Spent a lot of my workout coaching a friend so it was a good time to reinforce my own technique. I'm doing the lighter ETK workouts on my heavier lift days (i.e. deadlift and squat) and then the longer ETK workouts on my lighter days (i.e. press and bench press) since those swings combined with the squat/dl kill my hips. Eating decent too... lots of meat!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #16
Ryan Secor

Default Friday 01.08.10

Sleep - 10 hours

Warm-Up
10 min AMRAP - Did 5 rounds
10 Wall Squats
10 Halos (1 pood)
10 Pump Stretch

Foam Roll
Bench Press - 115#x5, 140#x5, 170#x3

Workout
Bench Press
185# x 5
215# x 5
240# x 5+ - did 6 reps
115# x 5x10

Strict, Dead Hang, Chest-to-Bar Pullups 5x Max Reps - 7/6/6/5/5

-then-
12 min AMRAP: (ETK Workbook W/O)
20 KB Swings (1.5 pood)
1 min Jump Rope Skips
20 KB Swings (1.5 pood)
1 min Rowing

Completed 3 rounds (pretty much the same as last time)

Feeling pretty good today. Those pullups were insanely hard. I'm trying to train them for the Tactical Strength Challenge which requires they be dead hang strict pullups and must tap the chest (or neck) on the bar at the top. I honestly thought I'd have an easier time with this - especially since last year I could knock out 40+ Kipping Pullups in a row.

Enjoyed my new-found favorite meal - a In-N-Out Triple Triple Protein Style.... 50g of Protein with only 11g Carbs... and a bit of fat, but whatever. I may start making a better version at home.

Tomorrow is a Rest Day which is probably good because I'm not going to sleep much tonight. I just found out I'm going to be working a 6 AM - 6 PM shift (which is my favorite since I work 3 days a week on that) so I'll be waking up at 4:30 AM and would like to get in the habit of regularly getting up at the same time everyday whether I'm working or not. I'm hoping on work days to never get less than 6 or 7 hours of sleep (meaning making sure I'm asleep by 9:30-10:30 which could vary depending on overtime) and then on my off days probably shoot for around 9.5-10 hours of sleep (bed by 6:30-7:00 PM -- haha - that'll be crazy if I ever can get to bed that early!). I think this sleep cycle will probably be really healthy for me. I've been trying to get better quality and more sleep ever since I read Lights Out (per Robb's recommendation), and I've actually determined that if I can manage to get at least 9.5+ hours of sleep on my days off and vacation days I'll actually spend more than a total of 9 months sleeping a long night.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #17
Ryan Secor

Default Saturday 01.09.10

Sleep - 5 hours

REST DAY.

Thank God because I'm exhausted. I'm changing my sleep schedule and will be waking up at 4:30 every morning. This might be the earliest I've ever gone to bed in recent history. Tomorrow I'm planning to hit Week 2 of 5/3/1 and RKC Program Minimum - definitely looking forward to it - especially since it's SQUAT DAY!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #18
Ryan Secor

Default Sunday 01.10.10

Sleep - 9 hours

Warmup
10 min AMRAP - Did 6 rounds (getting way more conditioned!)
10 Wall Squats
10 Halos (1 pood)
10 Pump Stretch

Foam Roll
Back Squat - 140#x5, 175#x5, 210#x3

Workout
Back Squat
245# x 3
275# x 3
315# x 3+ - Did 7 reps
140# x 5x10 (just the FYI - on these 5x10 sets I rest 90 seconds between each set)

RDL 140# x 5x10

5 min Turkish Get-Up Practice - getting the hang of it on my right side, but my left side is much tougher

New favorite meal:
In-N-Out 3x3 Protein Style... 50ish grams of protein, 11g of Carbs, and a lot of fat... w00t!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #19
Ryan Secor

Default Monday 01.11.10

Sleep - 6 1/2 hours (felt ok when I woke up)

REST DAY.

So today was my first day back at work after I had ankle surgery several months ago. My plan is and has always been to have a wait & see attitude with regards to working out on days I work (I typically only work 3 days a week). Today I worked 3 hours of OT and am exhausted so I'm definitely not working out. I'm off tomorrow so I will then. Enough from me --- I'm tired.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
Ryan Secor

Default Tuesday 01.12.10

Sleep - 10 hours

Warmup
10 min AMRAP - Did 6 or 7 rounds
10 OHS
10 Halos (1 pood)
10 Pump Stretch

Foam Roll
Strict Press - 65#x5, 80#x5, 95#x3

Workout
Strict Press
110# x 3
125# x 3
140# x 3+ - did 6 reps
65# X 5x10

Strict Chest-to-Bar Dead Hang Pullups - 5xAMAP - 9/7/5/6/5

-then-
12 min AMRAP:
20 KB Swings (1.5 pood)
1 min Jump Rope

Did 7 rounds (new PR for Program Minimum) - I chose jump rope because I feel it strengthens my ankle more (which is what I need right now)

So being back to work I definitely have to practice some good time management (probably a good thing). Felt like I had a good workout. I matched up my days off with my workouts so for the rest of the month I will basically only be working out on my days off (I only work 3 days a week - with this week being the exception) and it happens to match perfectly. If I'm feeling good after a day at work I may do something light, but otherwise I'm just going to focus on taking it easy and not worry about getting a workout in. On to drink my PWO cup (maybe cups) of milk!