Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #21
Ryan Secor

Default Wednesday 01.13.10 - Friday 01.15.10

Sleep - 7 hours each night

REST DAYS

So after being back at work, I think it's going to be near impossible to work out on this schedule on days that I work (which I had anticipated and planned for). I didn't have any overtime, but I still ended up spending 15-16+ hours each day at and driving to/from work. I'm off Sat - Tues, so I'll be doing my workouts those days. My sleep has been ok each night and I've been eating at least 3-4 times a day (fairly low carb). I'm looking forward to getting some rest!

I'm also going to run a little experiment and do a gallon of milk a day every day I workout... just going to see how it goes. I have fat to lose already, so as long as I'm still dropping fat (and adding muscle) I'm happy. We'll see how it goes. I'm out.... zzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #22
Ryan Secor

Default Saturday 01.16.10

Sleep - 10+ hours

Warmup
10 min AMRAP (not for speed though) - 5 or 6 rounds (don't remember)
10 Squats
10 Halos
10 Pump Stretch

Foam Roll
Deadlift - 190#x5, 235#x5, 285#x3

Workout
Deadlift (double overhand grip on everything)
335# x 3
380# x 3
430# x 3+ - did 9 reps... strapped up on this set only just so grip didn't limit me (I figure my grip is getting worked with the rest of my deadlift sets and when/if I compete and/or max I usually use a mixed grip so grip isn't an issue)
190# x 5x10 (1 min rest in between)

Ring Dips 5x10 (1 min rest in between)

-then-

800 meter Run (3:27)
5 min Turkish Get-Ups (left side still feels awkward)
800 meter Run (3:15)

Drank a gallon of milk (probably 1/3 of it PWO) today too - not much of a problem downing it and I feel GREAT! I'm throwing a little running in my workouts --- I need to get my running a little better for work. I'd like to see my 800 meter times in the 2:15-2:30 range (assuming no decrease in my lifts). Not much else to say... It's nice to be back in the gym.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #23
Ryan Secor

Default Sunday 01.17.10

Sleep - 8ish hours (got to bed real late)

Warmup
Same old Pavel Warmup circuit... 6 or 7 rounds
Foam Roll
Bench Press - 115#x5, 140#x5, 170#x3

Workout
Bench Press
200# x 3
225# x 3
255# x 3+ - did 5 reps
115# x 5x10 (1 min rest between sets)

Barbell Rows 155# x 5x10 (1 min rest between sets)

-then-
ETK Program Minimum (continuing)
12 min AMRAP:
30 KB Swings (1.5 pood)
1 min Jump Rope (for conditioning + ankle rehab)

Completed 6 rounds which is pretty impressive since just a week ago I could barely do 6 rounds at 20 KB Swings + 1 min conditioning work.

I didn't start my workout until about 8 tonight which is shame on me - I should be thinking about going to bed at that time so I'm not completely off my sleeping schedule come my work week. Double shame on me because despite downing an entire gallon of milk again today, I definitely did not eat much (mostly due to laziness on my part). I need to make sure and focus on that especially on my days off. Tomorrow my goal is to first eat more frequently (at least every 2-3 hours) getting in at least 4-5 meals plus my gallon of milk and second I need to workout in the morning. Working out at night used to not affect as much, but now I notice issues falling asleep if I workout too late in the evening.

Tomorrow I'm also starting the 5/3/1 set phase of my cycle and I'm already noticing that I'm definitely stronger and others are noticing I'm shedding quite a bit of bodyfat and putting on some muscle (scale fluctuates in the mid-high 220's still --- which is fine by me... I don't really care how much I weigh as long as it's good). I won't be doing body measurements though until the end of the 4 week cycle.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #24
Ryan Secor

Default Monday 01.18.10

Sleep - 8 hours

Warmup

The usual

Back Squat - 135#x5, 175#x5, 205#x3

Workout
Back Squat
260# x 5
295# x 3
330# x 1+ - did 3 reps
140# x 5x10

RDL 155# x 5x10

-then-
800m Run (didn't time either run - had the dogs with me)
5 min TGU
800m Run

Couple of notes:
Back Squat seems to be regressing in terms of form. I'm failing to hit depth at the bottom of my squat and I'm rounding my back in the hole of my squat. Unfortunately/fortunately for me the Squat has always been the most work for me to do correctly, so it looks like I have my work cut out for me. I've been re-reading the squat chapter in Rip's book and suspect a few things: First is that I probably need to do some hamstring stretching pre-workout just so I can get into position. Second is that I need to be more kinisthetically aware of spinal extension --- my wife pointed out that when I was doing back extensions frequently I never had an issue with rounding at the bottom. Unfortunately I don't have anything right now to do back/hip extensions, so I'll probably just add in some Supermans in my warmup. Thirdly I going to bring my stance in a little (I've gradually allowed it to get wider which is causing my hip tightness to limit my depth). Fourth I'm going to bring my grip in just a tad - I think I'm holding a little wide which is affecting my back tightness. If anyone has any further suggestions I'd love to hear them... I don't want to overcomplicate the movement, but I want to be proficient and even perfect (too much to ask?) in this movement.

Another day of GOMAD and feeling good...
Old 01-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #25
Ryan Secor

Default Tuesday 01.19.10

Sleep - 10ish hours

Last night I was feeling really sick and this morning I woke up and just felt like utter crap. Fortunately I didn't have work today (do have to work tomorrow through Friday though), and I've spent most of the day just taking it easy. I took a 2-3 hour nap this afternoon and I'll probably end up getting around 8 hours of sleep before work tomorrow. I've been downing a bunch of tea, oranges, etc. Didn't work out today and I probably won't for the next 3 days (I spend 15-16 hours working on my work days). I'm hoping I get better by the time I wake up... if not I'd call in sick, but there's been a lot of issues of people calling in sick that aren't which results in a sick check (especially when it's after a string of days off) and I'm not particularly interested in letting a superior evaluate my health to determine whether or not I should be calling in sick. If I'm still not well by tomorrow I might just struggle through work then take Thursday and maybe Friday off as sick days.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #26
Ryan Secor

Default Wednesday 01.20.10 - Saturday 01.23.10

Sleep - somewhat varied but a lot

REST DAYS.

So I've been really sick the past few days. I still worked Wed and Thurs but banged in sick on Friday then slept the whole day. After that I think I'm getting better, but I'm definitely still sick. No workouts.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #27
Ryan Secor

Default Sunday 01.24.10

Sleep - 8 hours

Warm-Up
The usual
Overhead Press - 65#x5, 80#x5, 90#x3

Workout
Overhead Press
120# x 5
135# x 3
150# x 1+ - did 3 reps

Didn't have time for the rest (which was ok). Going to sleep a lot tonight and get a good workout in tomorrow and Tuesday before I head back to work on Wed. I set up my workouts for these next 4 weeks (hard to believe I'm coming down to the end of my first 5/3/1 cycle) and it managed to come together perfectly so I only have to workout on my days off... so it's looking good.

I know I haven't had a lot of time to post lately --- being back at work doesn't leave much free time for me, but I am still around
Old 01-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #28
Ryan Secor

Default Monday 01.25.10

Sleep - 9ish hours with some snoozing

WarmUp
Same thing
Foam Roll
Deadlift - 190#x5, 235#x5, 285#x3

Workout
Deadlift
360# x 5
405# x 3
455# x 1+ - 7 reps
190# x 5x10 (1 min rest between sets)
Ring Dips - 5x10 (unbroken)

-then-
12 min AMRAP: - did 4 rounds
40 KB Swings (1.5 pood)
200 meter Run

I'm finally starting to feel a bit better and glad to be back in the gym. I can tell being sick took a bit from my cardio capacity (my metcon workout sucked). I've been working on my squat form too - I think my hammies are just a bit tight, but they're loosening up.

I really need to start paying attention to my nutrition. I was doing ok with it and have lost a bit of fat, but I really need to dial it in especially with eating whole foods. I know $ is no excuse and I'm probably spending more to eat worse than I am to eat better. Ideally I'd like to be eating at least 4-5 paleo meals/day + GOMAD on workout days. It's not hard - I just actually need to cook the meat up.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #29
Ryan Secor

Default Tuesday 01.26.10

Sleep - 10 hours

Warm-Up
Pavel Warmup
Bench Press - 115#x5, 140#x5, 170#x3

Workout
Bench Press
210# x 5
240# x 3
270# x 1+ - 3 reps
115# x 5x10 (1 min rest between sets)

Barbell Rows 155# x 5x10 (1 min rest between sets)

-then-
800m Run - 3:06
5 min of TGU - worked up to 53# --- still feels awkward

I'm back to work for the next two days (so they'll be rest days) and I'll spend Friday and Saturday doing my deloading workouts before jumping into my 2nd cycle of 5/3/1 and moving on from the Program Minimum to the RKC Rite of Passage.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #30
Ryan Secor

Default Wednesday 01.27.10 - Thursday 01.28.10

Sleep - Tues night 4-5 hours; Wed night 8 hours

REST DAYS.

Back at work for 2. Not much to talk about. For some reason I'm having problemsfalling asleep the day before I go back to work --- I usually end up laying in bed for 2-4+ hours before I fall asleep.

Off for 3 now - so I'm deloading and starting 5/3/1 cycle #2.