Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #31
Ryan Secor

Default Friday 01.29.10

Sleep - 10ish hours

Warm-Up
Pavel Warmup
Foam Rolling

Workout (De-load)
Back Squat
140# x 5
175# x 5
210# x 5

Overhead Press
65# x 5
80# x 5
95# x 5

-then-
12 min AMRAP: - 4 rounds
50 KB Swings (1.5 pood)
200m Run

Good workout. Feeling good. Eating ok - could always eat more more frequently. Onto my gallon of milk.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #32
Ryan Secor

Default Saturday 01.30.10

Sleep - 9 hours

Warm-Up
None - didn't feel like it

Workout
Deadlift
190# x 5
240# x 5
285# x 5

Bench Press
115# x 5
140# x 5
170# x 5

Did a several mile hike uphill for cardio.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #33
Ryan Secor

Default Sunday 01.31.10

Sleep - 10ish hours

Warmup
Pavel Warmup (5 rounds)
Foam Rolling
Back Squat 145#x5, 180#x5, 215#x3

Workout
Back Squat
230# x 5
270# x 5
305# x 5+ - 7 reps
160# x 5x10
RDL 160# x 5x10

Starting RKC Rite of Passage (just finished Program Minimum last month)
3 rounds:
1-2-3
KB C&P (L)
KB C&P (R)
Pullups
1 min rest
2:15/2:00/1:30

5 min AMRAP: (Goal is 60 reps)
KB Snatches
60 reps with 1.5 pood

I'm still having issues with my back squat (depth and severe loss of lumbar curve) and I think I figured it out. Unfortunately I don't have time to explain it, but basically it's an issue with using a low bar position and tight/weak hamstrings. I'll probably go into it more later, but I have to get to my brother's birthday party.

I'll be at work for the next 3 days, so they'll be rest days and I won't be on here.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #34
Ryan Secor

Default Monday 02.01.10 - Wednesday 02.03.10

Sleep
Sunday night - 4-5 hours
Monday night - 6ish hours
Tuesday night - 4 hours

REST DAYS

So interesting week at work. As you can tell I'm having a lot of trouble sleeping. Sunday and Monday night it wasn't an issue of getting in bed early enough - I was. For some reason, when I go to bed I simply can't fall asleep and I lay there for sometimes 4 hours. No - there's nothing on my mind and all I'm simply thinking is "it'd be nice to fall asleep right now". I'll get to Tuesday night's events in a second.

In other news my arms (biceps and shoulders especially) are extremely painfully sore. Like almost a rhabdo sore... I don't think it's rhabdo - I think it's my KB cleaning form and I think I messed up my shoulders. I've done a bit of BB cleaning but never KB --- so I think I may need to drop weight in that and focus on the form a bit more.

Tuesday was particularly eventful. I got into a car accident at work --- a couple of good things out of it though: #1 - I wasn't driving and #2 - My partner and I (or the other people) weren't seriously injured (we were only going 25-30ish MPH). When we crashed I put my hand on the dash so as not to get snapped too hard with the seatbelt so my knuckles are a little sore and for some reason my jaw is killing me (maybe from hitting back on the seat). Then on the way home, believe it or not, my brakes completely stopped working on the freeway --- really scary during rush hour in Los Angeles. God must've been really looking out for me again and I managed to slow down enough to pull the emergency brake before I hit any other cars. All that to say after getting towed and everything I only got a little bit of sleep.

All in all pretty crazy week, but I am very happy to be here still intact and alive. Any sleeping advice would be great too... I've pretty much (short of sleeping pills) tried everything. ZMA, hot showers, no exercise within 5-8 hours before bed, keeping a steady waking time, etc, etc and I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to think maybe I just don't need that much sleep to operate (I wasn't particularly tired throughout the day). I don't know though --- Lights Out and Power Sleep has me on this sleeping trip right now, but maybe I'm just paranoid.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #35
Ryan Secor

Default Wednesday 02.10.10

Sleep - 9ish hours (woke up early for court on my day off... ugh!)

Warmup
Same as usual
Overhead Press 65#x5, 80#x5, 100#x3

Workout
Press
105# x 5
120# x 5
140# x 5+ - barely did 5
75# x 3x10
Strict C2B Pullups 3x10

Skipped all KB work

Alright so there's something pretty wrong with my shoulder. I was able to struggle through this workout, but my middle shoulder and bicep (in both but mainly my left) are absolutely killing me - I suspect a rotator cuff injury. If I don't block the pain and actively ignore I actually have tears welling up in my eyes. I made it as far as I could and figured I didn't want to push it. I think it was probably those KB cleans and just a lack of experience with KBs on my part. I'm hoping if I take it easy it'll feel a lot better by tomorrow, but in the meantime I think that injury explains my piss poor performance.

It's kinda foreign and weird to me to get injured from working out --- that rarely happens to me. But it happens I guess and it's probably due to my improper form (I think). I'm going to let myself heal up for the day, ice massage it, and see how it feels tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #36
Ryan Secor

Default Friday 02.05.10

Sleep - 8 hours + 2 hour nap

Warmup
Foam Roll
Shoulder rehab
Deadlift 195#x5, 245#x5, 295#x3

Workout
Deadlift
315# x 5
365# x 5
415# x 5+ - 12 reps... massive new PR (according to 1 RM calculators my DL should be 600# now... we'll see when I test it again someday)

Tried to go further on the workout (i.e. with assistance work), but my left shoulder is absolutely killing me (see commentary on the last two days). I'm simply not interested in sacrificing a few movements for a prolonged injury. As long as my shoulder is acting this way, my goal is simply to get through my major movement for the day and let my shoulder recover. I'm also wondering if my shoulder injury is more related to my car accident than my workout... but I dunno.

In other injury news... I think I mentioned my jaw was hurting from that accident I was in a couple days ago. Today it's still absolutely killing me and now I'm feeling it in my inner ear and head. I'm going to give it another day or two, but when I go back to work I think I may have to get it checked out (I would find it difficult to believe I'd have any actual injury from hitting somebody at just 30 MPH).

I just want to be well. Is that asking too much? At least my deadlifts made me feel better about myself.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #37
Ryan Secor

Default Saturday 01.06.10

Sleep - 8 hours

Warmup
Rotator Cuff work
Bench Press 115#x5, 145#x5, 175#x3

Workout
Bench Press
190# x 5
215# x 5
245# x 5+ - did 5 reps

Stopped there. I think my shoulder may be getting better, but it felt VERY weak on my bench press. Decided not to push it any further than my 5 reps (I felt my shoulder starting to hurt on the 1st rep of my 5+). I'm now off to 3 days at work... so those will all be rest days for me. Basically then, at the end of this stretch I'll have taken 9 days off/easy from my rotator cuff/shoulder thing. I'm going to do some icing and electro-stim every night too and I'm hoping that by Wednesday I'll be back up to speed.

See you in a few days!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #38
Ryan Secor

Default Sunday 02.07.10 - Tuesday 02.09.10

Sleep - 7 hours/8 hours/6 hours

REST DAYS.

Nothing significant to talk about. My shoulder doesn't hurt anymore, but we'll see how it does come workout time.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #39
Ryan Secor

Default Wednesday 02.10.10

Sleep - 10+ hours

Warmup
Row
Foam Roll
Light Circuit
Back Squat - 145#x5, 180#x5, 215#x3

Workout
Back Squat
250# x 3
285# x 3
320# x 3+ - did 8 reps

165# x 5x10 (1 min rest between sets)

RDL 165# x 5x10 (1 min rest between sets)

Felt pretty good with today's performance. Taking it easy on the KB's (shoulder). I made a slight tweak in bar position on my back squat and it pretty much fixed all the issues I was having. Basically (I low-bar squat by the way), I had the bar too low on my back... as a result I engaged the hamstrings more (which is the goal of a low bar squat) by engaging in excessive forward lean culminating in failure to hit depth on my squats (due to inflexibility/body structure/whatever). I simply moved the bar up just a tad (it's still definitely low bar) to allow me to squat a little more upright and hence hit depth every time. I don't know if that explanation makes sense... but basically my squats are looking better and I'm feeling a lot stronger.

In regards to eating, I'm still doing a gallon of milk daily on workouts days but $ has been tight and I've been having issues keeping my refrigerator stocked with a lot of good whole foods. When I'm at work I generally don't have a problem with eating whole foods since everywhere I eat either gives us food free or heavily discounted. I know $ isn't really an excuse to not eat much, but I definitely need to get on the ball with eating more when I'm at home.

I'm off work for 3 more days so I'll be doing my 3 rep week in 5/3/1... tomorrow is overhead press day so we'll see how my shoulder really is doing.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #40
Ryan Secor

Default Thursday 02.11.10

Sleep - 10+ hours

Warmup
Rotator Cuff Stuff
Foam Roll
Overhead Press - 65#x5, 80#x5, 100#x3

Workout
Overhead Press
115# x 3
130# x 3
145# x 3+ - 6 reps
75# x 5x10

Strict Pullups 3x10 (shoulder/bicep aggravated on this movement)

Decent workout. I was glad with my press max effort. My shoulder got a little sore during my pressing, but my bicep and shoulder really started hurting on pullups. I haven't had an injury like this (where it'd hurt to do pullups but not press) before so it's a little weird. Guna ice and maybe do some electrostim on it and see how it's doing tomorrow. Now time for milk and dinner at Chris and Pitt's!