Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Mike Humphries

Default Mike H's training log

Like virtually everyone who starts one of these logs, I thought it would be a good idea to store my workout info online. The added bonus of random people (who are smarter than me) reading and critiquing what they see helps too.

Currently I play volleyball (indoors) but I don't tailor my training for it or anything. I would like to get into powerlifting, with the goal of entering a meet at some point. I've lifted weights for about a decade, but mostly without any written or structured plan.

I am going to run the 5/3/1 plan. Tried it for a month with squats, deadlifts and presses and liked it. I'm going to run through a few cycles of it again, but replacing the presses with bench presses to see what kind of powerlifting #s I can put up. I do some o-lifting on Thursdays and will likely continue that, because it's fun.

Anyway, I should list some goals:
Bench: 300
Squat: 400
Deadlift: 500

And some current PRs:
Bench: 265 (I haven't benched for years, was messing around one day and gave this a shot, went up without too much of a problem.)
Squat: 335 (have more in me)
DL: 403 (weak!)
Press: 180 (this is a true max)

My plan for the next few weeks is to do 531 with deadlifts only and to use RDLs and walking lunges as the assistance exercises, and some weighted sled pulls (walking or sprinting, depends on how icy it is at my house) on non-deadlift days. I have some sorta odd pain in my right arm and it's really painful to grip the bar for squats. I figured I shouldn't be doing any pressing while it feels like that so I'll just stick to deadlifts until it's better.
Mike Humphries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
Mike Humphries

Default 28 Dec 09

531 deadlifts
1. 235 x 5
2. 275 x 5
3. 310 x 5 + 5

RDL
2 x 8 @ 150 (wasn't sure what weight to use)

Walking lunges
50 lbs, 2 x 20 steps

Stretched out and foam rolled afterwards.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Ryan Secor

Hey welcome man - it's nice to see somebody else on here with pretty similar training goals/plans. Glad to see you running 5/3/1 too - I'm planning on running that myself starting next week (I'm spending this week setting my 1 RM and doing some benchmarks). I'll be following your training to see your progress and how you're liking it. Good luck!
Ryan Secor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Mike Humphries

Default 29 Dec 2009

So I was going to drag my homemade tire sled, but my friend had to cancel and reschedule for tomorrow night. That's fine, I am a little more sore than I expected from the deadlifts yesterday. I guess that will happen after a few weeks off.

I stretched out and foam rolled for a while watching tv. Sled drags will take place tomorrow. Will most likely be heavier walking drags rather than sprint drags. It's been rainy/icy/cold here and sprinting probably isn't a good idea unless I want to smash my face in the ground.

Never done really heavy drags before so it should be an interesting experiment.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
Mike Humphries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Secor View Post
Hey welcome man - it's nice to see somebody else on here with pretty similar training goals/plans. Glad to see you running 5/3/1 too - I'm planning on running that myself starting next week (I'm spending this week setting my 1 RM and doing some benchmarks). I'll be following your training to see your progress and how you're liking it. Good luck!
Oh man, that's a lot of pressure knowing someone's watching! I figured writing stuff on here would be good for getting an occasional bored/curious poster to wander in and offer suggestions. Looks like it's already working, heh.

I'll be checking out your training too, the heavy metcons always seemed interesting to me. I tend to stay away from a lot of those CFish metconny workouts because after a few of them my knees start to really wear out and get sore. Years of vball and being too fat have done a number on them! I should work my way back into that kind of thing. The right combo is fun and seems to work pretty well for everyone who keeps the weight and intensity high and the reps low.

Keep working hard and don't slack off on the log!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
Mike Humphries

Default 30 Dec 2009

Weighted sled drags, 50m forward/50m backwards

1. 85 lbs (test run)
2-4. 120 lbs

These were mostly brisk walks, wasn't real sure how heavy it would be. The last one I dragged it backwards first. That's a lot harder than dragging it forwards.

Stretched out afterwards and again a few hours later, with some foam rolling too.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
Mike Humphries

Default 31 Dec 2009

531 deadlifts, 3 day
1. 255 x 3
2. 290 x 3
3. 330 x 3 + 3

RDL
2 x 8 @ 150 lbs

Walking lunges
2 x 20 steps @ 50 lbs
Old 01-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
Mike Humphries

Default 01 & 02 January 2010

Foam rolled and stretched. Was planning to take these two days off to recover from New Year's Eve.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
Mike Humphries

Default 03 Jan 2010

531 deadlifts
1. 275 x 5
2. 310 x 3
3. 345 x 1 + 6

RDL
2 x 8 @ 150 lbs

Walking lunges
2 x 10 steps @ 50 lbs

The back was what made me stop on the 345 set. Did a set of 50 situps after the lunges. My stomach cramped up pretty bad, had to really stretch it out afterwards. I guess I won't do that again, but it was kind of funny to be honest. Streched out pretty good afterwards and will do so again before bed. I think my arm is getting better and I'll be able to at least reach back and grip the bar for squats next cycle.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #10
Mike Humphries

Default 04 Jan 2010

Sled drags, 50m backwards/50m forwards

1. 65 lbs
2. 105
3. 140
4. 140

#s 1 and 2 were semi-sprints. #s 3 and 4 weren't, but they were almost as fast as I could go. I'll slowly add more volume to this, and I should probably do some regular sprints too.

Stretched afterwards and foam rolled/stretched/iced later on before bed.