Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 01-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Anton Emery

Default Ultimate MMA Conditioning

I just picked up Joel Jamieson's book, Ultimate MMA Conditioning, and am reading through it. So far its great, and i am learning alot. When i picked up the package i was initially worried about the value of my purchase, as the book seemed kind of thin. But its 160 pages of all text, not one photograph or ad.

He goes into alot of detail on the three energy systems used for MMA and a ton of different protocols on how to optimally develop them. The training approach is centered around focusing on one fitness quality over an eight week block with additional maintenance on a secondary quality. Then you deload for a week or so and move onto to the next fitness quality. I'll admit when i first read this it seemed like old fashioned block periodization, which i thought had been deemed less effective.

I am enjoying the book because its more than just a bunch of exercises thrown together with no explanation of the how's and why's. Once i get through it and digest it all I will giving this programming a shot. Joel has trained a bunch of high level MMA guys, and was the S & C coach for Pride, which are pretty impressive credentials.

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Emery View Post
I just picked up Joel Jamieson's book, Ultimate MMA Conditioning, and am reading through it. So far its great, and i am learning alot. When i picked up the package i was initially worried about the value of my purchase, as the book seemed kind of thin. But its 160 pages of all text, not one photograph or ad.

He goes into alot of detail on the three energy systems used for MMA and a ton of different protocols on how to optimally develop them. The training approach is centered around focusing on one fitness quality over an eight week block with additional maintenance on a secondary quality. Then you deload for a week or so and move onto to the next fitness quality. I'll admit when i first read this it seemed like old fashioned block periodization, which i thought had been deemed less effective.

I am enjoying the book because its more than just a bunch of exercises thrown together with no explanation of the how's and why's. Once i get through it and digest it all I will giving this programming a shot. Joel has trained a bunch of high level MMA guys, and was the S & C coach for Pride, which are pretty impressive credentials.

Anton
I'm glad you are enjoying the book. Lyle also has a review of the book somewhere. I tried relocating it a bit ago, but I could only find it pasted on IGX. When you mention old fashioned block periodization, I think you're thinking of linear periodization.

The block periodization that Joel espouses is the periodization that Verkhoshansky helped form and test while in the Soviet Union. It's also the form of periodization that Lance Armstrong's coach Chris Carmichael endorses. Block periodization is also known as conjugate-sequence periodization or simply conjugate periodization. Conjugate periodization is a confusing term in America because Louie Simmons also calls his WSB programming conjugate periodization. If I understand WSB and Louie Simmons correctly, WSB's use of the term conjugate is because exercises are being switched every week. According to traditionally understood periodization terminology, WSB would be weekly concurrent periodization and not conjugate. With Verkoshansky's conjugate periodization, the various qualities are transitioned into seemlessly. Conjugate periodization or block periodization is very organic in that the training and progression all supports each other. Everything builds on each other; hence, why it's also called conjugate-sequence periodization.

The Block Periodization article, that I think Gavin linked to, took the literal block periodization from Issurin's book and applied it to Powerlifting. It was unnecessarily complicated in my opinion. In my opinion, for strength training, the more basic form of block periodization applied by RTS is more appropriate.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Anton Emery

Whoops, yea, thats what i meant, linear periodization. Where there is an adaption phase, hypotrophy phase, speed strength, etc.

Thanks for the explanation on conjugate vs concurrent. I get those terms confused.

Anton
Old 07-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Yael Grauer

I've been reading this book, too, and lurking out on Joel's forum a bit... can't even say how impressed I am. The guy is a genius.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Anton Emery

Yea, i like it alot. A ton of great information to put into practice.

I like that Joel goes into the why's behind the workout protocols.

anton
Old 07-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
Grissim Connery

i was watching the video on their site with jens pulver and the other guy talkin. what is that rope contraption they are pulling? it looks like it cycles like a treadmill, but it's also vertical. are they just making a circle out of it and looping it through a pully or something?

i think i'll order this book when i feel better about money.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
Joe Hart

Its a vector or viper or some such. Its an endless rope machine. That way you can climb a rope in a small room. THey look nice and they should for 1500-2000 dollars I think.

I have Joel's book too. It has some good info. Some things you need to be creative about if you don't have the machinery.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
Donald Lee

The book is even more worth it now that he's making BioForce available for free for anyone who buys the book.

Has anyone here noticed any substantial results from implementing some of Joel's stuff?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
Joe Hart

BioForce? Haven't seen that and I have been lurking more often lately. What is it.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hart View Post
BioForce? Haven't seen that and I have been lurking more often lately. What is it.
It's the customized training and assessment program, based on OmegaWave, that Joel wrote about in his book.

This is from his latest newsletter:

Quote:
My Big Announcement...

If you've read my book, Ultimate MMA Conditioning then you know just how much value I place on assessment when it comes to strength and conditioning for MMA. You also know that I've been working hard on a project designed to take all the guesswork out of programming and finally give you the training solution you've been looking for.

After nearly two years of creating, tweaking, testing, analyzing, changing, retesting, etc. I'm VERY excited to announce that the first phase of the program is just about ready to launch!

The official name of this new program is "BioForce Training" and if you've read my book, you know why the name fits.

Now here's the best part...

After much thought and deliberation, I've decided to make the first phase of the project (I'll be giving you all the details of how it will work very soon) absolutely FREE to use forever to anyone who has purchased my book.

Make no mistake about it, what BioForce offers and the online tool I'm about to launch will be absolutely invaluable to every single MMA athlete and coach and there is absolutely nothing else like it out there today.

I guarantee it will be incredibly powerful and it is the result of literally years of my own research and hours upon hours of my time.

I'm sure I could charge a good deal of money for it, but giving it away to use for free forever is my way of saying thanks to everyone who has invested their hard earned money and time in my book. So far, Ultimate MMA Conditioning has been purchased by people in over 40 different countries and almost daily I get success stories and emails from those who have read it.

What I'm about to launch will bring everything in the book together and really help you maximize your results with it. It's the missing link I've been working on for so long. If you have already bought the book, just sit back and wait and I'll be telling you shortly how to sign up and get lifetime free access to my new program.

If you don't yet have a copy of my book for some reason, you'll want to grab one ASAP so you can take advantage of this special offer when I launch the program. The only way you'll be able to get free lifetime access to BioForce is if you own the book.

Part of the reason for this is because you won't be able to get the most out of the program unless you've read the book and part of it is because I appreciate everyone who has bought and want to say thanks and make it even more powerful for them.

I am literally just a couple of weeks away from being ready to put it out there for everyone to use and am just working out the last minute details and getting rid of the bugs.

If you don't yet own my book, click here and get it now.

BioForce is something I am incredibly excited to tell you more about and launch and it is the result of many years of hard work.

Stay tuned to learn more very soon...