Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 02-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #11
Steve Shafley

Normally my sig is a link to the P&B, after reading the Lord Humungous' bid for governor, I found it irresistible.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #12
Steve Shafley

The prevalence of bad deadlift videos is illustrated remarkably well by those two doofuses from bodybuilding.com who made an instructional video for the deadlift.

I was both agast and highly amused while watching this.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/liftrite2.htm

This is a big waste of your time, so be forewarned.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #13
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
The prevalence of bad deadlift videos is illustrated remarkably well by those two doofuses from bodybuilding.com who made an instructional video for the deadlift.

I was both agast and highly amused while watching this.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/liftrite2.htm

This is a big waste of your time, so be forewarned.
holy cow these 2 guys are really irritating and the video is badly edited.

Ok I commented before I watched all of video #2....even worse than number 1. This is on bodybuilding.com for instructional purposes????
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #14
Dave Van Skike

It woudl be a lot more honest to say that round back stone lifting, strongman style, rounded back off the floor up to a zercher type position and then braced on the top of the thighs from a partial squat is the only "lifitng" in our DNA.
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #15
Mike ODonnell

Rip had a picture up there once long ago showing 2 body types and the starting position for each....both extremely different...and then went into a long explanation of lever length, etc.....basically some have better builds for the DL...some do not....Me...tall....small joints....not the man who was meant to put the canon ball in the canon....however I can skate like the wind...which basically serves to no known evolutionary purpose other than an artic messenger.....

Great kickbacks in the video...I knew my form was off....Ummmmmmm.....yeah...
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #16
Elliot Royce

Two points:

a) As someone who has really long femurs, I use a trap deadlift bar. If it helps me to maintain good form, who's to quibble?

b) I also have wondered about the CF 21-15-9 135lb power cleans or the like. I guess I'm a wimp because I can't maintain perfect form with that number of reps done right away. Since I'm trying to learn the O lifts and possibly do a masters' meet at some point, I'm careful about blowing my technique to h-lll with 45 imperfect reps. I also think it's a recipe for rotator cuff tendonitis.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #17
Jesse Woody

Default Ohhhh...

Quote:
I don't think I'm refuting that.
Then that's where I misunderstood you. I thought you were originally criticizing the videos for showing perfect form, when perfect form becomes slightly subjective at higher loads. My only point was that perfect form should be the benchmark, no matter what the effort, especially when demonstrating movements to a widely unknown audience, as Allen pointed out.
Jesse Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:23 PM   #18
Ron Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Royce View Post
Two points:

a) As someone who has really long femurs, I use a trap deadlift bar. If it helps me to maintain good form, who's to quibble?
Being 6'3" and all legs, I'm ill suited for DL's and fast motorcycles. What I've found helpful is using, and I'm not kidding here, the Hammer Strength seated shrug contraption. It has two sets of handles, high and low, and is plate loaded at the fulcrum, so you are lifting the weight, not half of it. I used it to bring my DL back from the dead (old max was 225# after I hurt my back; went up to 270 after I retrained). Now, I mix it in to finish off a set or warm up the DL.

What I'm saying is this; it approximates the trap bar as well as anything when you don't have a trap bar.

As for the videos on CF: I like the multi screen approach to demonstrating movements. Worked for the clean, thrustrer, and box jumps.

OK, I just watched the video and had two comments: 1. the audio was terrible. I couldn't hear half of what was said, but what I could hear was somewhat off of what I was seeing. 2. I liked seeing taller people using the form I use; almost straight legged just to get down to the floor. Again, I like the split-screen.

Not sure what Shaf means about the amount of weight used.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html

Last edited by Ron Nelson : 02-10-2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: I like to ramble
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:41 PM   #19
Elliot Royce

Ron:

At 6'3" myself I understand tho I did use to ride a Ducati 748 around the track pretty fast. The long legs came in handy when putting my knee down and once or twice I'd swear I saved the bike by pushing up with the knee. Still, I looked like one of the circle clowns riding the really small bike. Most of those cool racer types stand about 5'8" with a few exceptions.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #20
Nick Cummings

Are you guys kidding? Tall guys are built to deadlift. We (relatively) suffer a bit in the squat. Pulls are where it is at for tall guys. Also, regarding the CF videos, if you have beef with the comentary more power to you. There is nothing wrong with the form displayed in those videos and I failed to notice where they claimed those were max effort lifts.
Nick Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote