Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 02-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #41
Arden Cogar Jr.

Thanks Brian, coming from you that's a helluva compliment. Your two days floor me. And the percentages you use on a regular basis speaks to your toughness. Keep up the awesome work!!!!

2.16.10 - Had a pretty good event session. lots of drill work on the tree and strokes in the single. I need to find a way to get the saw down a bit smoother as I'm cutting angle on the saw dramatically about 1/2 through the cut. I'm also not getting good extension after the first few push strokes. Cut an immense poplar standing - I really like how my relaxed standing style is evolving; I'm really not trying to cut fast, but I'm moving very well. I think that's good. Sucka was a full 51" in circumference. That was fun. And the underhand I widdled on was as hard as a bulls forehead. Feel really good in everything except the Underhand. But that will come around.

here's some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt84lqO3MHI

2.17.10. - nothing serious physically. Body was pretty tired, so I took the day off. Did some roller and yoga, but limited it to that. Spent a good hour in MHS with Kiara working on hitting and throwing.

2.18.10 Kata - Shoulder finally feeling good enough to do some snatches. So I opted to do 4 rep sets and a snatch matrix. muscle snatch, power snatch, hang snatch, full snatch. Shoulder took it well. Went 20x4, 40x4, 60x4x5. I think I should stay at 60 for a few weeks. I'll do it once in three sessions this week. then up it to two sessions the following week.

After that, I did some power cleans. I hate power cleans. they have never felt right to me. I worked on getting taller and "bringing the rain" but alas, there was no rain brought. Still not grasping the concept of "jump and shrug" still "bump and hump" - dammit. I know what I have to do, just gotta do it.

Went 65x3, 95x3, 110x3x3, 120x3, 120x3, 130x2.5.

Then did Snatch Pulls. Went 100x3, 120x3x3
After that did Overhead squats 5x5. Went light. Shoulder still not perfect.
Then did 1/4 to 1/2 front squats. 135lbx3, 225x3, 315x3, 405x3, 495x3, 585x3 - that 585 was moved about 6" and I did static holds with it for about 10 to 15 seconds. Good lord that was heavy. Then went back down to 495x3. I can see myself doing that 495 as a regular front squat pretty soon.

Then did 5 sets of ring push ups.
Then abs.

here's some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkc3DOTzsdY
Old 02-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #42
Brian DeGennaro

Your 3rd to last set of snatches were the best; good pull, good turnover, good in general. The others were ok, not as good as that one. You seemed to cut your pull, especially for ones off the floor which is why I think you were chasing that bar forward.

With your power cleans, focusing on meeting that bar wherever it is pulled instead of a half/quarter squat. Just focus on changing directions as quickly as possible or meeting that bar ASAP, I'll say this a million different ways if that doesn't click with you. Maybe taking a look at the vid on Catalyst today (with Donny, Caleb, and Jon lifting) could help.

Jesus you're strong. I'm jealous of your gym and I love the taste in workout music.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #43
Martin Bonn

I agree with Brian: you are one strong beast! PCs with that weight should not look that easy!

Something that helped me in the 2nd pull: stand tall! don't even think about catching it, keep pulling and then pull some more. stretch up like you want to jump to the ceiling! forget everything else (just for that split second).
Took me some time to get the change in direction for the 3rd pull, but eventually it clicked!

Kudos on the snatches, they are looking waaay better!
TOTAL: 227kg

Youtube
Martin Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #44
Mike Kerce

enjoying watching all your vids...monsterous. i've watched you compete on ESPN a few times, so very interesting to see how you train for your sport.

i don't have enough OLY lifting experience to provide any advice, but it seems to me everyone hits a weight where the technique breaks, especially in that second pull. I struggle with the slow pull and bounce as well. do you think it's beneficial, say for a guy who's still relatively a beginner, to drop to a weight where you can execute technique perfectly and build the muscle memory instead of training a heavier weight with sloppy technique? or should i work more on doing the technique correctly with the heavier weight?
Mike Kerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #45
Arden Cogar Jr.

Brian, Martin and Mike,
Thanks so much for the kind words and the input. I need the input.

I am having a serious disconnect with not getting my hips extended. I've got JPGs on my body position frozen frame by frame from above my knees to my version of full extension. It seems that as soon as the bar gets to my lower thighs, I bring my hips forward and never get my hips to the bar.

Don't get me wrong, it's getting better. It's better than it was a while back. But this element of my pull is going to be my focus and I'm completely open to suggestions.

Brian, Thanks for the compliments on MHS - It's been a work in progress since 2006. I've got everything I need except a woman's bar and a few more 10s and 15s, and I'll be set. I love my gym. I have a hard time wanting to train anywhere else. Oh, and this fall, I get heat. Yeah. No more freezing workouts during the winter.

Martin,
Going through the ceilng sounds great. Just gotta sort out how to do it.

Mike,
I have dropped the weights a good 10% in order to try and eliminate this silliness. So yes, I agree, we need to back off if we want to work on a technical issue. I'm pulling around 65 to 70% until I get it right. Enough to feel, and enough, in my opinion to get the work I need out of what I'm doing.

Here's an update on my stooopidnesss.

2.19.10 - went over to MHS with Kiara. She worked on hitting and we played catch in amongst me doing some singles. Did some drill work in the tree too. No chopping. Felt good.
Here's some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsmqiCwzEvg

2.20.10 - got up really early for a Saturday and got some beefcake.

Have decided to focus on getting tall. Or trying to sort out a way to not bump and hump, and instead jump and shrug. Still not there. I sooooo am getting peeved with this. It will come.

Started with clean drills: Went 40x3, 70x3x5
Then went to cleans: 105x3, 125x3x3, 115x3x2 - I strained something in my right hip. I was a bit mean to the Mrs., so I guess that was Karma rearing it's head. :-D Nothing serious. just something I can feel. So I'm going to limit it to power movements for a week to let it heal up. i felt it when I rocked backward in to the hole with the last set of 115.

Then did a couple power clean sets 105x3x2.
Then did some clean pulls: 115x3, 175x3x3. Didn't feel the hip with the pulls. Weird. Just a deep squat thing.

Then did push presses. Went 40x5, 75x5, 105x5x5. Shoulder felt great.
Then did ring pushups 8 sets.
Then did abs.

Here's the highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGxIC1BDg_k

Was going to front squat, but bailed because of the hip.

Took kiara to her hitting lessons, she had a stomach bug, but spent the hour like a trooper.

2.21.10 - nothing physical. Did a lot of ice/heat/self myofascial relief on the hip. Feeling a lot better. ONly transient pain with some movements. All in all, I've spent the day eating for time. And I'm doing well at it.

weighed myself a few minutes ago, 250 on the button. Not bad considering how bad I've been eating. Yahoo. Time to put on the feedbag.

all the best,
Arden
Old 02-24-2010, 06:24 AM   #46
Arden Cogar Jr.

Here's a quick update for me in week with kids full time - having a blast by the way.
2.22.10 First session post hip flexor strain - feeling good, but going to take it slow.

Yoga, roller, then off the beefcake.

Power snatches - 20x3, 40x3, 60x3, 70x3x5 - all easy. Shoulder is well.
Power Cleans - 60x3, 100x3x3, 60x3x5 - all easy.
strict press - 40x5, 60x5x5
Hammer Strength Overhead Press - 2platesx10, 6platesx3x10 super setted with 15lb lateral raises at three angles (prone, standing, front) for 10 each
Bodyweight box squats on high box - 6 sets of 20 - 20 seconds rest between sets. Felt good at the end.
push ups on dyna discs/bosu ball/swiss ball - 5 sets
Abs and more yoga and roller.

2.23.10 - With my body double the entire day. Watched The Lightning Thief, great flick. Took Kiara to batting practice and learned a lot of cues and drills that have carry over to Chopping and sawing. Some yoga and rolling.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #47
Arden Cogar Jr.

2.24.10 - hip still not right, but decided to try some power movements. Bad idea, re-aggravated the darn thing.

Did power cleans. Went 95lbx3, 135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 245x3, 255x3, 265x2, 225x3. I aggrevated the hip/thigh on the catch on one of the cleans with 265. Then I felt it only on the catch. Not on the stomp. That makes no sense to me.

After that did some RDLs. went 275x3, 345x3x3. I don't feel the hip/thigh at all on these.

Then did some behind the neck push presses. Went 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 255x3, 275x3 - this was a PR and I held the last rep over head a good 10 to 15 seconds. Then did 225x3. The drive did not hurt the thigh. The catch behind the neck did not hurt the thigh/hip. It's like only holding the bar in the front actually impacts it.

Here's some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsX8RAUn0wk

Then did high box squats with BW - 5x20
Then did a bunch of Machine pussified Bodybuilding stuff to work my upper body followed by some pullups and abs.

2.25.10 - decided to stop all dynamic movements until my hip heals up. Committed to bodybuilding for at least two weeks to "heal up." Lord help me.

Did some yoga, self myofascial release, EMS on the thigh, and tai chi.

2.26.10 - Bodbuilding workout 1 - upper body. Blah.
Started with a seated overhead press Railroad. Went 45lbx5, 65lbx5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 165x3, 185x3, 165x3, 135x5, 115x5, 95x5, 65x5, 45x5 - the only rest I took between sets was to unload/load the bar. Took about 4 minutes to do this.
Then did some Hammer Strenght "overhead press" super setted with lateral raises - Did 5 sets. Worked up to 8 plates on the HS and did a break down from 8platesx6, 6platesx5,4platesx8, 2platesx5.
Then did ring push ups 5 sets.
Then did incline bench 5 sets - worked up to 275 for 5
Then did 4 sets of pull ups broken down with 4 sets of pull downs. Did 10 bw pull ups, then 10 140lb pull downs each set or thereabouts.
Then did some ghey rowing machine for 3 sets.
Then did my first arm sorta workout in 2 years. I just did some form of extension supersetted with some form of curl. Did 5 sets with 20 reps on the tris, and 10 reps on the bis - arms felt like ballons when I was done.
Then finished off with abs.

That evening, I did a ton of softball drill work with Kiara. Then did a lots of yoga, self myofascial release and EMS.

2.27.10 - shopping for time with the girls at the Jeffersonville outlets. Took them swimming at the Pool at the hotel and did about 1000 bodyweight squats of various positions and foot stances, plus at least a 150 walking lunges. HIp is feeling better. Actually felt great after I had it warmed up.

2.28.10. Took Kiara to hitting practice. Then we went home and we did a ton of drill work on fielding and hitting for a good two hours. During that time frame I cut two logs, only videod a bit of it. The hip/thigh does not impact my ability to do event work on the ground. I am not leery to jump, but I am leery to land, so I will forego tree work until it's healed up.

Here's some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKZME7IsNQU

More yoga, SMR and EMS - hip its not impacted at all with chopping. I like that. I need to get my heart rate up as this bodybuilding training is really not making me sweat much.

3.1.10 - Upper body pussitude!
Started with flat bench press. Went 135x10, 225x5, 275x5x5 - did these reps in less than 3 minutes with about 15 seconds rest between sets. Really easy actually. Then did 225x5.
Incline Bench - 5 sets. Top set was 275 for 6 - left a lot in the tank
Some machine stretchy pec thing 3 sets -
Lateral raises - 3 sets of 30 - 10 prone/10 erect/10 front
Then did some overhead lockouts. Set the pins on the power rack at the top of head and did standing presses. Went 135x3, 225x3, 275x3x3, 225x3
Then did some 4 sets of seated dumbell presses.
Then did 4 sets of pulldowns
Then 4 sets of pull ups
Then 4 sets of dumbell pull overs - I like these a lot! Good and stretchy
Then did some goofy arm stuff that made my arms feel like balloons.

3.2.10 - lower body wimpiness
Rolled, SMR then tai chi.

Then did back box squats. Did 10 sets of 10 with 135lb with varying foot stances. Once the hip was warm I was good.
Then did 5 sets of 5 with 135 really deep high bar squats. No pain at all.
Then supersetted leg press and leg extension. 4 sets.
Then supersetted hack squat with sissy squast. 4 sets.
Then did RDLs 5 sets of 5 with 135lb
Then did about 4 sets on the various leg curl machines.
Then did abs.

I felt like such a big wimp. Wah! It's getting better though. But I'm taking it slow.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #48
Arden Cogar Jr.

Time for an update on the rehabilitation of the Appalachian silverback. The shoulder is completely healed. The hip is improving day by day. Stuck with a case of vaginitis and bodybuliding until the hip feels good enough to do the dynamic lifts. Event training is not an issue. I'm good to go.

3.3.10 - Upper Body - *spit* So two years ago.

Started with Lat pulldowns 3 sets.
Then Pull ups super setted with Lat Pull downs - 3 sts.
Then Machine Rows 3 sets
Then DB pull overs 3 sets
Then Ring Push ups 5 sets
Then Hammer Strength Bench 5 sets - good lord I felt like such a wimp even with 8 plates on the darn thing.
Then Machine lateral raises 5 sets
Then Machine overhead press - 5 sets - oh the humanity.
Then I did some arms - I think I carried on a conversation throughout most of the workout.
I then did some abs that actually got the heart rate over 120. Still talking though.

Event training - working on some hip rotation in the single and standing. I like what I'm doing. pysched about the Underhand.

Here's some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqsBcfZr7Ks

3.5.10 - lower body - ahem......
Did get a bit silly though.
RDL's: 135lbx5, 225x5, 315x5, 405x5, 495x5, 600x3 (that was not easy - hips high, all hammies and man, I wish I would have recorded it. The speed was awesome and I did not feel it in my hip at all).
Leg curls 3 sets
seated leg curls 3 sets
Squats - 15 sets - did 225 for about 10 sets of 5 varying foot stances. Can feel the hip when I am coming out of the hole. Doesn't hurt, just feel something.
Hack squats super setted with sissy squats - whoa, sissy squats are fun. Forgot how fun they were.
Then did some Abs.

Felt good about the RDL. hip is feeling better than it was a few days ago.

3.6.2010 - LOOOONNNNGG day. Started at 8 a.m. ended at midnight. Got some beefcake while Kiara was a Bat mitzvah.

Did DB laterals to warm up. 30 rep sets. 4 sets
Then did strict press railroad. worked up to 205x3, then back down every 20 pounds to the bar.
Then did some cable up right rows - 5 sets. Felt good to think high elbows on this.
Then Ring push ups 5 sts
Incline bench 5 sets - top set was 245
Machine pull downs
Machine Rows
Then Arms - blah!
Abs afterwards.

3.7.2010 - absolutely worn out - did nothing. Did some drill work as Kiara was at batting practice. That was about it.

3.8.10 - hip feeling better. What I'm feeling is lessening day by day.
Did back squats - varying foot stances and varying bar heights. Did 135x5, 225x5x2, 275x5x8, 225x5x2
Hack Squat super setted with sissy squats - digging these.
Did light RDLs 5 sets
Did 3 sets of Leg curls
Then abs. Feeling good.

Every day I'm doing ice/heat/ems and self myofascial release on the hip and quad. It's getting there.

3.9.2010 -
high box power cleans - 95x5, 135lbx5x5 - did not feel these at all in the hip. Nothing. so excited to get rid a bit away from the vaginitis. Even if it is only with 60kg.
Bench Press. 135lbx10, 225x5, 225x10, 225x15, 225x20. Surprisingly, that 20 was smokin' easy.
Incline press - 3 sets. Top set was 245.
Pec dec - 3 sts
Lateral raises - more for rehab. pumpitude.
Pull downs - more for rehab. pumpitude.
Arms - blah!
Abs.

3.10.2010 - first real workout - yeah!!!!

HIgh box power snatch. 45x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3x5
OHS - took these really slow and easy. can feel it a bit when I don't rebound out of the bottom. When I rebound out of bottom, I feel nothing. When I go slow, I feel a little something. Weird.
Same with Back squats. Went 135x5, 225x5x2, 295x5x3 225x5x3, 135x5x3 - again, as long as i rebounded out of bottom, I felt nothing. Weird.
After that, did abs.

Tonight, I'm doing bell conditioning as Kiara works on hitting.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #49
Arden Cogar Jr.

Here's an update to my goings on. My hip/thigh is doing much better. I've almost got it healed. I can back squat and over head squat without issue. But front squats are the no-no. I think I could do full snatches without issue, but full squat cleans are out for a while. Time to bring the power.

3.11.10 - Day one with Scooter. Scooter's my 19 year old cousin who competes on Virginia Tech's Woodsmen's Team. He had never single bucked or cut a standing block in life until this night. I love his down swings in the standing. Very natural. Lots to work on, but he's dedicated. We sawed and chopped a lot. Only a portion of it got on taped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvzRPkZluKk

3.12.10 - up early and on a wood run. We made 3 trips with two trucks and got about 120 pine logs.

Then we went up in the woods and cut underhands on a downed white oak for about two hours.

Then I had to get some work done. Afterwards, we went over the barn and worked on standings. Cut some wicked hard poplar that nearly did me in. I was getting tired at this point. I even cut an 8x8 Virginia pine ("bitch pine") at the end for kicks and giggles. Little bugger took me about 28 seconds with a trainer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOmLvybhELw

3.13.10 - hard to get up this morning. Was feeling it bad. Rolled and did yoga for a good hour to get started.

Once in gear, it went well. Did a ton of stock sawing and stuff outside. Again, filmed very little of it.

Tried of the pines. Cut a big 17" underhand in a good time. Cut two big foot standings in 18 and 16 hits. The wood has been down for a while, and there's no bark on it. So it's really dead and lazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU7aicpOZdY

3.14.10 - did some limited single hand sawing and otherwise slept. Worn out!!!! Worked tons though as I had a important hearing the next day.

3.15.10 - post work, got beefcake. Lots of Roller and Yoga

Then over to MHS.

Started with box power cleans Went 20x3, 40x3, 70x3, 90x3, 100x3, 105x3, 110x3x2, 105x3 - All felt good. No issues with hip/thigh.
Then went to push presses BTN. Went 40x5, 75x5, 105x5, 125x5 PR - that was a surprise. I felt something in the hip when I caught a few of the reps. But not on the drive. Then went 105x5, 75x2x5.
Then did some squats. Kept it light. 135x5, 225x5x5. Then tried some front squats. No go - this is the movement that really brings out the achy in my thigh/hip. So limited to 135x5x3.
Then did some box clean pulls - went 150x3x3, and 170x3x3.
Then did 10 sets of ring push ups.
Then abs.

Here's some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdK2zuFl8TE

3.16.10 - roller and yoga. Otherwise nothing physical. Long work day.

3.17.10 - a.m. beefcake. It was epic. Hip feels good. Roller and yoga to start out.

Then box snatches. Went 20x3, 40x3, 60x3, 75x3x3. - worked on bar path. Trying to get the loop out.
Then box cleans. Went 75x3, 105x3x3. Worked on bar path. Trying to eliminate the hitch in my pull. It's coming.
Then did jerks. Went 75x3, 105x3x5.
Then did squats. Decided to pull out the thumb. Went 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5x4 - I recorded these to see if there was any favortism to the right side. With none present, I felt good. Then did 225x5x2, 135x5.
Then did sumo deads. Went 75x5, 125x5, 165x5, 205x5, 255x10.
Then did 5 sets of ring push ups.
Then abs.

Here's some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK2O9LX_Zls
Old 03-25-2010, 05:44 AM   #50
Arden Cogar Jr.

update on training logs. Been sporadic in reporting. I know, I suck.

3.19.10 - Lunch time beefcake. Roller and Yoga to start.
Then Tall Box Power Snatches - at YMCA, so everything is in pounds. Went 45x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 165x3, 185x3x3. Very easy.
Then did Overhead Squats - these were easy as well. 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 165x5x2.
Then back squats - 135x, 225x5, 315x6x5.
Then front squats - 135x5x3
Then Snatch Pulls 135x3, 225x3x3 - my quad did not hurt to pull off the floor - it was awesome!
Then Bench Press: 135x10x5
3.20.10 - First contest of the year. Not really a contest, but more of a demonstartion but we had fun with it. Cut four logs. Three were small and had trouble with my turns (something to work on). Big log went well, so I was pleased with that. Need some more technical work on the changes I've worked on. They did not hold during the 8x8 races. I rushed the swings and it was evident.

Here's some highlights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlaeQqvhLEU

3.21.10 - Beefcake in the morning, then Kiara had two softball practices. I did handle work and my bell conditioning during her practices. two a days ain't for me.

On the beefcake.
Box Power cleans: 20x3, 40x3, 75x3, 105x3, 115x3x3 105x3 I'm still going on my toes before my hips are through and I'm completely vertical. It's going to take some time to master this, but i will.
Then Push Presses: 20x5, 40x5, 75x5, 105x5, 130x4, 115x5, 105x5x2
Then Front Squats: 135x3, 225x3x5 - these are feeling better. I'm almost there.
Then Clean Pulls: 120x3, 155x3x4 - No pain from the floor. Very pleased with this.
Ring push ups - 10 sets.
Then abs

Here's some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVAIOHR01MA

3.22.10 - Worked 16 hours - nothing physical other than rolling and yoga.
3.23.10 - Again, worked 16 hours - nothing physical other than rolling and yoga.
3.24.10 - Great a.m. beefcake. roller and yoga warm up (always)
Started with box power snatch: 20x3, 40x3, 75x3, 90x3x3
Then went to Box Power Clean: 75x3, 105x3, 117x3x3
Then went to Jerks: 75x3, 105x3, 125x3, 145x3,
Then did strict presses 75x5x3
Then did back squats: 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 335x5, 365x5, 315x5 - hip feeling great.
Then did Clean Deadlifts: Went 75x5, 125x5, 175x5, 215x5, 235x11 or 12 I think.
Then 3 sets of ring push ups and abs.

here's some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXKhYqTSp4E

Off to Heavy event work the next few days!!!