Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 01-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Adam James

Default Beggining IF - Advice/tips would be awesome

Ok so this week i started IF for the first time after reading about it extensively, which i always do before any diet.

My body;

Weight - 239 lbs
Height - 6ft 0.

I have a good amount of muscle, but also a hefty amount of fat i wish to melt as soon as possible.

I started on monday, today being thrusday. I tried a 24 on, 24 off period. This means one day i got to eat whatever i want, the next i fasted (including sleep time, so its about 30-34 hours, maybe more). I found that this was difficult to keep up, so i changed the schedule up abit.

Fast begins at 6pm one evening, ends the following day. Theni can eat until 6pm the next day, and fast the next day again. This means i am still fasting a large amount of hours, but i get to eat everyday. Along with this, i will usually go to the gym everyday and burn 350-400 calories on the corss trainer along with some weight training, sometimes intense sometimes light.

Am i going to melt fat or will it be slow? Is there any faster way to get rid of this goo? Or should i stick to this?
Adam James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quality of food is the most important. If you are eating processed food this will not work. At all.

Also, start with shorter fasts. Like 12-16 hours. Why start out with >20?

Check out Mike ODonnell's stuff...
Old 01-29-2010, 02:34 AM   #3
Willem Koster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Quality of food is the most important. If you are eating processed food this will not work. At all.
Sure it will still work. Will eating normal healthy unprocessed food.. be better (healthier) than eating junk ... quite probably. (whether you will notice it in the short run is dubious though, unless processed junk is ALL you eat)
Willem Koster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:28 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem Koster View Post
Sure it will still work. Will eating normal healthy unprocessed food.. be better (healthier) than eating junk ... quite probably. (whether you will notice it in the short run is dubious though, unless processed junk is ALL you eat)
I don't know if I can stand by what your saying in regards to eating junk and IF. If you aren't eating well during the feeding window you are going to feel HUNGRY during your fasting time. I definitely know how I feel when I'm IF'ing and I'll slip up one dinner and have pizza rather than what I should have eaten. That next day gets rough in terms of cravings.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Calories matter...weight loss can happen...will also depend on your calorie load on your IF day (which should be lower than non-IF days). Other factors come into play such as activity level, insulin resistance (which can go up during a fast) and other fun stuff. Keep your IF days clean eating, mostly protein.

I wrote a whole free ebook on Intermittent Fasting here....so I wouldn't have to cut and paste the same info over and over.

Don't use IF as an excuse to eat junk you wouldn't normally eat (or as I like to call it IFOC, IF on Crap)....won't work out well for you.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
Adam James

I just want to now will it melt fat pretty quickly? I mean it's a 24 fast at th every least
Adam James is offline   Reply With Quote