Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 01-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #11
Jeff Yan

I'm with Patrick on this. This is reasonable skill work, but in this case it would make more sense to remove the emphasis on time.

-----

If you're willing to accept the functionality of HSPUs, then it shouldn't be much of a stretch to see the usefulness of programming handstand walking.

A lot of the objections I've seen to this workout could also be said of prescribing 135# snatches or, say, introducing swimming to the WOD. If you've never tried walking on your hands before, then don't attempt 300 ft on day 1. Likewise, if you have little experience with Oly lifts, then don't load up the bar with 45's; if you can't swim, don't jump into the deep end.

-----

Does anybody know if there have there been many injury reports coming from people who have attempted the handstand walking or the 1-10-1-20-1-30 WODs?
Jeff Yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #12
Brian DeGennaro

I wish they would stop putting "for time" before everything. I'm waiting for the brainfart and "Rest Day: For Time" WOD.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
Derek Weaver

But the problem us that they claim the programming is infinitely scalable. How the hell do you scale walking on your hands if you can't even hold a free handstand? I think walking on your hands is easier (I was pretty good when I was a tyke) but 100 feet? Taking reasonable skill work for a good gymnast and applying it to the masses is the ultimate example of stupidity.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #14
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Honestly, if you were to remove the "for time" component, make it into three simple intervals, and have actual gymnasts (with solid handstands) do it as part of a structured program, it could make for a decent handstand/shoulder conditioning drill.

But we all know it isn't being done that way.
I suggested this on the main site comments. I said that for 99% of the people doing the WOD, it would be better to work on each skill individually for 30 minutes instead of having some random reps and sets put into a competitive workout.

My comment got censored shortly thereafter.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #15
Jonathan Yoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I suggested this on the main site comments. I said that for 99% of the people doing the WOD, it would be better to work on each skill individually for 30 minutes instead of having some random reps and sets put into a competitive workout.

My comment got censored shortly thereafter.
That was unnecessary censorship for a suggestion. But then again, I think you're own personal programming has better quality than what's on the CFHQ site.
Jonathan Yoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #16
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
But the problem us that they claim the programming is infinitely scalable. How the hell do you scale walking on your hands if you can't even hold a free handstand? I think walking on your hands is easier (I was pretty good when I was a tyke) but 100 feet? Taking reasonable skill work for a good gymnast and applying it to the masses is the ultimate example of stupidity.
Yeah, the folks at CFHQ are giving the CF Brand X guys (who post scaled WODs daily) one hell of a hard time!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #17
Jonathan Yoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Yeah, the folks at CFHQ are giving the CF Brand X guys (who post scaled WODs daily) one hell of a hard time!
I'm sure the Brand X guys are getting pissed off. Remember that one WOD where you had to do a one-hand pull-up by gripping the wrist of the arm you were doing the pull-up with? It's the one post where I didn't see Garddawg give scaling or even bother posting.
Jonathan Yoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #18
Mike ODonnell

A workout is only as smart as the person who writes it up.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #19
Brandon Oto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
I wish they would stop putting "for time" before everything. I'm waiting for the brainfart and "Rest Day: For Time" WOD.
This is probably the key point. Even if you agree with 100% of the stuff that goes into the WoDs, they still inevitably end up as "metcons" because you're trying to do it as fast as possible. The only exception is the strength days, and yes, I'm waiting for them to put a stopwatch on those too.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #20
Garrett Smith

I like when people time their warm-up.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote