Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Bo Schmidt

Default 100m and 200m sprint

A friend and I recently got together and decided to train for a 100m and 200m competition in August. That means we have 8 months. Our previous training experience intensity-wise is similar to the CA WOD. We can both bench 80kg, press ~60 kg, squat 130 kg and DL 140 kg.
We have all days of the week at our disposal to train. Any recommendations for how to go about this the most effective way? I.e. train for 100m and 200m sprint events. I only have experience with strength training and training to improve one's cardiovascular system so I'd love to hear what you have to say. If possible I'd prefer any response to be relatively concrete. Any questions to determine anything I haven't mentioned above, fire away.

Thanks!
-Bo
Bo Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
jake oleander

It sounds like you are inexperienced with track and field. I would recommend finding a coach to teach you the fundamentals of sprinting. Working the basics of technique will give you the biggest gains in the shortest amount of time.

Besides technique, you obiously need a great strength/weight ratio, strong compliant and plyometric tendons in your lower legs, flexibility, strength, and speed throughout the entire range of motion, and (particularly for the 200m) strength endurance.

Might as well start practicing now.
jake oleander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Check out Scott Kustes article in PMenu journal.

Forgot which one it was...
Old 01-14-2010, 05:00 AM   #4
Troy Kerr

It was quite recent in regards to Stevens statement. Also if you have a subscription to the CF-journal I found an article on sprinting mechanics.
Troy Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Bo Schmidt

Thanks so much for replying everyone. It has already helped me a lot.

I've read the article by Scott Kustes. Definitely a great read, however the three sample templates are primarily oriented towards mixing crossfit/lifting with a speed training bias. How could I alter these to make it speed training only?

I like the 14-day cycle:

1 - Speed
2 - Heavy lifting
3 - Short Metcon
4 - Rest
5 - Plyometrics
6 - Short Metcon
7 - Rest
8 - Speed-Endurance
9 - Heavy Lifting
10 - Short Metcon
11 - Rest
12 - Tempo
13 - Heavy Lifting
14 - Rest

Any ideas what to replace with something more speed oriented? I don't really need the short metcons.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sub the metcon for speed work
Old 01-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
Scott Kustes

As Steven said, speed or speed-endurance work. Day 3, I'd opt for speed-endurance given the speed work on Day 1. Days 6 and 10, speed/acceleration work.

That template was, as you said, more intended as a "jack of all trades" thing. For you, at this point, you should be focusing more on speed work and plyometrics, than speed-endurance. I've been focusing solely on speed, stength, and plyos for the past several months. (Which means next weekend's season-opener will suck in the 200 and 400.) Build a better speed base, then layer the speed-endurance on top, as opposed to the opposite...kinda how you're better off to build strength, then layer strength-endurance on top.

Obviously ditch the met-cons...they won't make you faster.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
Blair Lowe

http://www.oztrack.com/devsp.html

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/sprints/sprintdrills.htm

http://www.charliefrancis.com/store/...p?idproduct=30

http://www.charliefrancis.com/store/...p?idproduct=26

http://www.charliefrancis.com/store/...p?idproduct=21

Well, at least you're just training for the 100 and 200 right now instead of the 200 and 400.

I can remember parts of our sprint workouts back in HS, but I don't remember us being grouped up into specific events like 100, 200, or 400. It was kind of all in 1. I hear this is how it's often done at the HS level but it's much more focused at the collegiate level.

Our coach seemed to be very technical and I came away from it with a good idea of understanding (I think) of what he was trying to get across. We had some decent sprinters in our city. I can remember most of everything but the amount of volume of sprints we did.

Do you have any experience in sprinting or know anyone locally who could at least run you through the basics drills and how to start and get out of the blocks?
Maybe, just go check out the local HS or college or ask their coaches.

Working 25's and 50's sounds like a good idea right now.

My friend who sprinted at a Jr. College, he's somewhere on PM said volume of around 250y/m was about right after looking at the thread. So either 5x50 or 10x25 for 100m sprinters. For 200m, there would probably be something similar except some 100's and 150's in there as would 75's be in there for 100m runners.

Right now, I work 25's, typically sprint, then walk back and do 3 repetitions and wait for about 2-3 minutes before starting another round. This is just speed work programmed into my S&C for gymnastics, however. I can do about 3 this way before a rest is a good idea. Generally about 10-15 sprints. in volume so 3-5 rounds. It sort of depends how many 1 leg sprint-jump-runs I do.

For simply doing 100's during sprint workouts, I noticed walking that distance was ok. I think walking twice that distance would have been more rest. Actually, probably just resting would have been much better.

For 200's, simply walking another 200 was the same which took about 2.5 minutes. Again, if I did it again, I'd omit the walking that distance, walk a short bit and just rest in between.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Bo Schmidt

Thanks so much for your replies. I've learned a lot and I'm going to train hard for the sprinting event in August!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Luke McNaughton
This message has been deleted by Luke McNaughton.