Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Steven Walczak

Default Rear knee bend on jerks

This is frustrating for me. Tons of times I attempt 90%+ jerks, I always miss because my rear knee isn't bending and then my arms give out, or I'll shift forward where my front knee goes over the toe and I miss it out front. However I practice with light weights all the time and usually have no trouble with this until I work up to heavier weights. Anything I can do to stop this?
Steven Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

how is your strength in deep lunging type movements? e.g., are you able to do heavy weighted lunges without a problem, or do you feel much weaker when compared to your comfort level with a squat?

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Steven Walczak

My overhead strength is weird. Right now I can jerk 170 lbs, and strict press 120 lbs.. but my lockout is very poor. It seems to be a struggle for me to get in the groove to lockout, I have to actively tell my body to push up (or under in the case of jerks). I actually haven't tried lunging with weights like bulgarian split squats, however on medium weight jerks I often hold myself in the split position for a good 3-4 seconds to drill deep position. This doesn't seem to be helping with heavier weights though. If it helps, I do work on a computer all day.. so is it possible this is a posture issue?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

Maybe. Can you get a video of some heavy snatches up?

It may be that your back knee is straight as a consequence of your shifting forward on your dip/drive, rather than you shifting forward in the split being a consequence of a locked back knee. Can't say unless I see it.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Steven Walczak

I'll try to get a video as soon as I can.

I think forward dip might be a problem I have. My behind the neck jerk is weaker than from the front. Plus when I jerk the bar often ends up a good bit behind my ears yet I never lost a jerk from behind. Any suggestions for forward dip trouble?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
Steven Walczak

I tried a shorter dip yesterday and told myself not to push the bar back so much on jerks and it seems to have helped a bit. Still having trouble with the back knee bend though, some jerks I caught I basically pushed up against the bar as hard as I could and my knee bent alittle, sometimes I forgot though and lost through weak arms. I guess I have to just remind myself to stay really tight each time