Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 01-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Shane Skowron

Default Reading recommendations about muscular/CNS adaptations

I've done a Google search on this but to be honest I don't really know where to start, and the results are a bit overwhelming.

I want to see if there is any sort of good literature available about how the body makes adaptations to certain training demands. I am really only interested in adaptations to limit strength, local muscular endurance, and cardiovascular endurance. I want to know more specifically what exactly goes on in the various systems of the body during those adaptations and what the body needs to make the adaptations happen.

I've gotten to the point where I can literally feel my body making adaptations when I get up in the morning. It's pretty fascinating and I want to know how it works.

I want to educate myself on this topic to enhance my programming. My goals span those three categories and I want to train hard for those goals without having them conflict with each other.

Books, articles, abstracts-- I'll read anything that has some science behind it.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Not really sure what you are looking for....but I always find the theory of "grease the grove" and Pavels Power to the People interesting training practices.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Not really sure what you are looking for....but I always find the theory of "grease the grove" and Pavels Power to the People interesting training practices.
Not really looking for training practices or techniques, since I know what works. I've read the book. I'm more interested in the hows and whys, from a physiological/biological perspective.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Here's some basics on CNS/neural factors:
http://physiotherapy.curtin.edu.au/r.../01/neural.cfm

You can look up terms from there.

The adaptations during muscle/cardio endurance are more biased towards type I, mitochondria, energy production stuff..
Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I've done a Google search on this but to be honest I don't really know where to start, and the results are a bit overwhelming.

I want to see if there is any sort of good literature available about how the body makes adaptations to certain training demands. I am really only interested in adaptations to limit strength, local muscular endurance, and cardiovascular endurance. I want to know more specifically what exactly goes on in the various systems of the body during those adaptations and what the body needs to make the adaptations happen.

I've gotten to the point where I can literally feel my body making adaptations when I get up in the morning. It's pretty fascinating and I want to know how it works.

I want to educate myself on this topic to enhance my programming. My goals span those three categories and I want to train hard for those goals without having them conflict with each other.

Books, articles, abstracts-- I'll read anything that has some science behind it.
What's your science background like?
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Here's some basics on CNS/neural factors:
http://physiotherapy.curtin.edu.au/r.../01/neural.cfm

You can look up terms from there.

The adaptations during muscle/cardio endurance are more biased towards type I, mitochondria, energy production stuff..
Thanks Steve, this is a good resource.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
What's your science background like?
Undergrad computer science with some advanced math courses. Taken physics, biology, bioinformatics, etc. Biology/physiology stuff comes pretty easily, at least when it's not for a grade.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Donald Lee

This is THE book on adaptations happening in your body when you train:

http://www.amazon.com/Adaptation-Spo...4657290&sr=8-1

This is a good book to read about the way our body adapts to stress in general:

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Zebras-Don...4657482&sr=1-1

This book has a lot about everything, but very little on the cardiovascular system:

http://www.ultimateathleteconcepts.c...rtraining.html

If you want to learn more about the cardiovascular system, you could read any of the top 3 Exercise Physiology textbooks (McArdle & Katch, Brooks & Fahey, Wilmore & Costill). Brooks & Fahey is supposed to be the best and most advanced of the three, as it includes a lot of biochemistry.

Besides Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers, those are all advanced level books. I suggest you start by reading "The Runner's Body: How the Latest Exercise Science Can Help You Run Stronger, Longer, and Faster." The authors are the guys who run the Science of Sport blog, and it is fairly easy reading. I also think you'd do well by reading Joel Jamieson's "Ultimate MMA Conditioning" book. It does a good job of dumbing down basic physiology, and it gives a good application of the block training model.

(And, I have not read most of these books, but I own many of them. I do not have a science background yet, so I'm holding off on reading some of these for if/when I have the chance in the future. I have a bad habit of buying books I know I will not read right away. I have about 100 books saved in my Amazon Shopping Cart... )
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:27 AM   #8
Steven Low
Super Moderator

lol Donald..

I'm the opposite with the science background, and just not buying books at all. :\
Old 01-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
Shane Skowron

Donald, those seem to be exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Not sure when I'm going to have time to read them...but they're on the list now.