Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-23-2010, 03:04 AM   #31
James Bailey

Default Monday 22.03.10

SN 50x5, 60x2, 65x1, 70x1, 75x1, 77.5xf/1*, 80x1*, 82.5xf

C&J 80x1, 90x1, 100x1x6

BS 60x5, 100x5, 122.5x5, 120x5x2

PP 60x3, 85x3, 87.5x1, 85x3x2, 82.5x3x3

RDL 70x5

GM 50x8, 40x10x3

Pull Ups BWx10

Had a good session today, felt fast and strong and hit a solid 5kg snatch PR, very pleased with that. My shoulders were toast by the time I got to PP so they felt really heavy. I think my bench volume is too high at the moment. I am going to drop the overall volume of strength lifts, just do 3x5 or 6x3 or 3x3, this seems to work better with the increase volume of full lifts I have been doing. Especially with my overhead or bench work. The working as hard as you feel on the day thing seems to work well for me.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #32
James Bailey

Default Friday 26.03.10

C&J 70x2, 90x1, 100xf/f/1, 105xf/1, 107.5xf

FS 60x5, 100x3, 112.5x3x6

Bench 60x5, 87.5x5/4, 85x4, 80x4

DL 120x1, 130x1, 150x5x2, 145x5

Chins BW+22.5kg x5x3

Prowler Sprints + 40kg 3 rounds 15ish metres back and forth

Tough session today, C&J felt really heavy, I was a bit slow. FS was fine, shoulders didn't hold up well benching though, got some funky tendon thing in my right arm. Up the fish oil etc...DL was good though. Prowler sounded like a good idea but I had to lay down for 10 mins afterward. Might actually start doing it regularly on a Friday though
Old 03-30-2010, 04:40 AM   #33
James Bailey

Default Monday 29.03.10

SN 50x3, 60x1, 70x1, 75x1, 80xf, 75x1/f

C&J 85x1, 100x2

BS 60x5, 100x5, 122.5x5x2, 122.5x3

PP 60x3, 85x3x5

RDL 100x10x3

Planks +25kg 1 min x 2

Felt slow today, wasn't getting under the bar quick enough. By the time I got to the third set of squats I felt pretty fucked but pushed on through, the PP felt really heavy, surprisingly the RDLs didn't feel as heavy as I thought they would...
Old 03-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #34
James Bailey

Default Wednesday 31.03.10

3-Pos SN 50x1, 60x1

SN 60x2

Press 50x3, 62.5x5, 65x4, 62.5x5

OHS 65x1, 70x1, 80x1, 85xf

BS 100x1, 115x3, 130x3, 135x1

Felt tired going into the session, snatch was slow again but the rest was good. Still haven't managed to weigh myself, must be over 87kg by now...
Old 04-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #35
James Bailey

Default Saturday 03.04.10

C&J 80x2, 90x1, 100xf

FS 75x3, 85x3, 115x3x5

Bench 60x5, 80x5x3

DL 130x1, 150x1

Row 500m 1:32

Hip felt funny today, pulls didn't fell right. Squatting was fine but pulling was not. I had an adjustment at the chiro the day before so might be that...
Old 04-06-2010, 02:00 AM   #36
James Bailey

Default Monday 05.4.10

SN 50x3, 60x2, 70x1, 75x1, 80xfff

BS 60x5, 110x1, 125x1, 135x1, 115x12

Back Ext. BWx20

Hip still feels odd, pulls were better though, mainly tired out. I think I need some rest, light week this week, well as light as I feel...
Old 04-07-2010, 02:54 AM   #37
Chae Cramb

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bailey View Post
SN 50x3, 60x2, 70x1, 75x1, 80xfff

BS 60x5, 110x1, 125x1, 135x1, 115x12

Back Ext. BWx20

Hip still feels odd, pulls were better though, mainly tired out. I think I need some rest, light week this week, well as light as I feel...
115x12!? Where'd that come from? I'd expect you to be squatting a lot more than 140 based on that set, especially if you're doing that when tired!

Looks like a light week is definitely on the cards, you seem to have been pushing pretty hard on 4 or 5 big heavy lifts every session for the last few weeks.

Anyway, keep up the good work man. Have you set your sights on a comp yet?
Chae Cramb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:34 AM   #38
James Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chae Cramb View Post
115x12!? Where'd that come from? I'd expect you to be squatting a lot more than 140 based on that set, especially if you're doing that when tired!

Looks like a light week is definitely on the cards, you seem to have been pushing pretty hard on 4 or 5 big heavy lifts every session for the last few weeks.

Anyway, keep up the good work man. Have you set your sights on a comp yet?
I felt like doing some max reps with a relatively heavy weight I probably could hit 150 fresh. I felt like I had 15 reps at least but I was damn tired and my form was breaking down too much for my liking. I think I might try super squats soon, 6 weeks of more weight gain We're going to have a little powerlifting comp at the gym in a couple of weeks. I haven't got any info on comps here yet, though I gather there is one in July sometime. Otherwise I'm set on doing the London Open near the end of the year.

Yeah I have been pushing it hard the past few weeks. I think I need to take it easy this week. I had trouble cleaning 90kg last session, just too tired. I'm going to change up the full lifts I think, only do a max for the day every other week or two weeks, otherwise do heavy singles on the clock at sub max. Seems to work better. I have started doing a bit of conditioning too, prowler on Fridays and maybe some KB stuff on Wednesdays.

What's your stuff looking like, setting up an online log yet?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:24 AM   #39
Chae Cramb

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bailey View Post
I felt like doing some max reps with a relatively heavy weight I probably could hit 150 fresh. I felt like I had 15 reps at least but I was damn tired and my form was breaking down too much for my liking. I think I might try super squats soon, 6 weeks of more weight gain We're going to have a little powerlifting comp at the gym in a couple of weeks. I haven't got any info on comps here yet, though I gather there is one in July sometime. Otherwise I'm set on doing the London Open near the end of the year.

Yeah I have been pushing it hard the past few weeks. I think I need to take it easy this week. I had trouble cleaning 90kg last session, just too tired. I'm going to change up the full lifts I think, only do a max for the day every other week or two weeks, otherwise do heavy singles on the clock at sub max. Seems to work better. I have started doing a bit of conditioning too, prowler on Fridays and maybe some KB stuff on Wednesdays.

What's your stuff looking like, setting up an online log yet?
Nice, that's some good progress on the squat! I'm going to be doing a high rep back-off myself for a few weeks. Tried it for the first time last week and did 110x14 quite easily. Was fairly pleased with that as I generally suck at reps. I'll try to hit 120x20 in the next 2-3 weeks. My strength is slowly coming back. I'm probably good for about a 165 squat and a 200 deadlift just now, so another 4-6 weeks and I'll probably be back where I was before christmas.

No online log yet, will probably start one when I finish this block of training though. I'm currently doing doggcrapp for upper body (I'm guessing you've probably not heard of it as it's pretty much the opposite of the sort of stuff you're into but it's a very popular bodybuilding programme), and my own stuff for lower body with a basic strength/hypertrophy focus. The doggcrapp stuff is fantastic, definitely one of the best bodybuilding programmes around and it's great for strength too which is nice.

Sounds like a good plan you've got. I used to use the singles on the minute thing quite a lot, it works well.

I'm very jealous of the prowler! Would love to have access to one, and more importantly somewhere convenient to use it. I'm going to be throwing in more conditioning myself quite soon. There's a fantastic BJJ/Muay Thai gym in Edinburgh that a few of the guys at the CSE go to. Fancy heading down there a couple of nights a week so will have to get myself in pretty good shape for that.
Chae Cramb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #40
James Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chae Cramb View Post
Nice, that's some good progress on the squat! I'm going to be doing a high rep back-off myself for a few weeks. Tried it for the first time last week and did 110x14 quite easily. Was fairly pleased with that as I generally suck at reps. I'll try to hit 120x20 in the next 2-3 weeks. My strength is slowly coming back. I'm probably good for about a 165 squat and a 200 deadlift just now, so another 4-6 weeks and I'll probably be back where I was before christmas.

No online log yet, will probably start one when I finish this block of training though. I'm currently doing doggcrapp for upper body (I'm guessing you've probably not heard of it as it's pretty much the opposite of the sort of stuff you're into but it's a very popular bodybuilding programme), and my own stuff for lower body with a basic strength/hypertrophy focus. The doggcrapp stuff is fantastic, definitely one of the best bodybuilding programmes around and it's great for strength too which is nice.

Sounds like a good plan you've got. I used to use the singles on the minute thing quite a lot, it works well.

I'm very jealous of the prowler! Would love to have access to one, and more importantly somewhere convenient to use it. I'm going to be throwing in more conditioning myself quite soon. There's a fantastic BJJ/Muay Thai gym in Edinburgh that a few of the guys at the CSE go to. Fancy heading down there a couple of nights a week so will have to get myself in pretty good shape for that.
Sounds good bro. It's always easier to gain strength back than to get it in the first place. My light week has been good, haven't got my logbook here so haven't updated it yet but went training today. Next week I'm away running another bar for a week so might do random shit again. It is going well though, I wish I knew how much I weigh at the moment, I am definitely much bigger than when you saw me last. I get asked what I'm on

I've heard of doggcrap, Johnny Pain from Greyskull barbell uses some of that stuff. He is a powerlifter and one of the 70's big advocates. I read a bit about it but ages ago, heard good things though. You found a comp yet? Sounds like your tailoring your programming to suit your needs and your goals which is good, a rounded mix, are you doing athletic training too? I'm thinking of trying super squats after summer and kicking myself up to the top of the 94 class for December so I'm as strong as possible.

The prowler is a bitch, much harder than it looks or sounds. 60kg and 20 metre sprints is all I've tried but that's enough. We might do a 300 metre prowler challenge soon