Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Randy Gurley
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
Default New and 1 week into IF-have some questions about it

All right, let me start by saying that for years, I have followed the 5-7 meals so this is a big change for me. I get extreme hunger pangs and that is the main reason that I had to eat every couple of hours, and even one week into it, I have no energy level drop, but I still get the pangs, just not so often. I'm hoping the hunger will adapt soon. I am following the Leangains style of 16/8 and my ultimate goal is to change my eating times and to build some muscle. I'm 5'9", 168lbs with low muscle mass.
1)I searched this forum and found a post regarding being cold. I work in an office and found out that I am cold all day long whereas before I started the fast, I don't recall ever being cold all day. That and I get a bloodrush when I stand up quickly, but a google search said that both are common signs of fasting, is it not normal to be colder? I have Lugols liquid Iodine solution that I have been taking for months so I don't think I'm having Thyroid problems. What is the consensus on here?
2)Also, I have been drinking tea while at work, it's a habit I got into months before. There is a Chick-fil-a in the mall where I work and I usually get unsweeted with Splenda but I use a lot of Splenda and sometimes sugar. Do all liquids other than water affect break the fast or is it just any with calories? So the ultimate goal is to keep glycogen levels from refueling correct? Is coffee with Stevia okay?
3)After breaking the fast with a protien bar and oats at work, the last couple of days when I come home I have been going crazy with carbs. It's like an uncontrollable drive to stuff myself with them. Is that a sign that I need more of them in my diet? If I had to guess, I probably eat 100-150grams a day from oats, whole wheat breads, and 16grams in each of my protein bars(only 3g of sugar). I run 5-7 miles a day at 6mph, does that seriously deplete glycogen levels to the point where maybe I haven't been refueling my body back?
4)Last question, I have been searching other forums, mainly BB.com and Lyle Mcdonalds forums and the opnion on there is that any fasted exercise has no benefit on fat loss. The gym I attend is so full in the evening that I have been going at 5am but I've been hesitant after starting IF. It seems like the threads that I have read on here state that exercise while fasting is good. Opinions?
Thanks and sorry for the long post but of the four or five different forums I have been on recently, this one looks to be the more mature and levelheaded site.
Randy Gurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Gurley View Post
All right, let me start by saying that for years, I have followed the 5-7 meals so this is a big change for me. I get extreme hunger pangs and that is the main reason that I had to eat every couple of hours, and even one week into it, I have no energy level drop, but I still get the pangs, just not so often. I'm hoping the hunger will adapt soon.
I'm finding hunger is a more "learned" response for many....as we train it to want foods at 8am, Noon, 5pm, etc. Your body can adapt....but also is may be saying "hey buddy, eat some more!". Knowing the difference between real hunger (like after a workout) and fake hunger (like after seeing a donut in the supermarket) is the key.

Quote:
I am following the Leangains style of 16/8 and my ultimate goal is to change my eating times and to build some muscle. I'm 5'9", 168lbs with low muscle mass.
Seems like building muscle is your goal, focus on what matters for that....resistance training and eating. Your body needs building blocks for muscle afterall. You can do this while using IF, but you have to be realistic about how much food you really do eat in any eating window.

Quote:
1)I searched this forum and found a post regarding being cold. I work in an office and found out that I am cold all day long whereas before I started the fast, I don't recall ever being cold all day. That and I get a bloodrush when I stand up quickly, but a google search said that both are common signs of fasting, is it not normal to be colder? I have Lugols liquid Iodine solution that I have been taking for months so I don't think I'm having Thyroid problems. What is the consensus on here?
Can happen, although most feel warmer upon refeeding. Could also just be too low calories in the first place.

Quote:
2)Also, I have been drinking tea while at work, it's a habit I got into months before. There is a Chick-fil-a in the mall where I work and I usually get unsweeted with Splenda but I use a lot of Splenda and sometimes sugar. Do all liquids other than water affect break the fast or is it just any with calories? So the ultimate goal is to keep glycogen levels from refueling correct? Is coffee with Stevia okay?
Wouldn't sweat it.


Quote:
3)After breaking the fast with a protien bar and oats at work, the last couple of days when I come home I have been going crazy with carbs. It's like an uncontrollable drive to stuff myself with them. Is that a sign that I need more of them in my diet? If I had to guess, I probably eat 100-150grams a day from oats, whole wheat breads, and 16grams in each of my protein bars(only 3g of sugar). I run 5-7 miles a day at 6mph, does that seriously deplete glycogen levels to the point where maybe I haven't been refueling my body back?
I'd say ditch the running, you don't need it if your goal is muscle mass. If you want conditioning do more sprint intervals. Eat more protein from real food sources such as whole eggs, meats (my latest kick is bison burgers from trader joes), fish/sardines. Add in whole milk if you want more calorie load, add in a scoop of slow digesting whey/casein protein with it to up the protein. Daily your goal on protein should be @150g (guessing that is your real lean body mass). You can have more if you like, but don't think excess protein means more muscle...as your body only uses up so much, and then burns the rest off. The excess calories however may be required.

Quote:
4)Last question, I have been searching other forums, mainly BB.com and Lyle Mcdonalds forums and the opnion on there is that any fasted exercise has no benefit on fat loss. The gym I attend is so full in the evening that I have been going at 5am but I've been hesitant after starting IF. It seems like the threads that I have read on here state that exercise while fasting is good. Opinions?
Thanks and sorry for the long post but of the four or five different forums I have been on recently, this one looks to be the more mature and levelheaded site.
For muscle gains, I would say get some BCAAs and sip on the pre-during morning workouts. Then you can also sip on BCAAs during the day if you like until you start eating real foods.

I can't guarantee you will go pro bodybuilding, but it is very realistic for you to add 15+lbs of real muscle (not just some glycogen-water pump) in a year. Be in it for the long run, stay consistent and results happen. People looking for quick fixes usually bail after 6-8 weeks and then wonder why they aren't gaining any muscle year after year.

PS. If you want more info on IF, you can download the free Intermittent Fasting ebook I wrote here as well.
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Randy Gurley
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
Default

Thanks, I just got the book yesterday morning and read it today. Good stuff, looking forward to my IF journey.
Randy Gurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Randy Gurley
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
Default

MOD, I hate to bump an old thread but I have a question regarding IF.
Have you heard of anyone following an IF lifestyle having problems with waking up in the middle of the night, maybe due to possible blood sugar issues? I'm trying to find out what my problem is, I first thought it was due to some slight overtraining from my cardio, but 5 days with no exercise has brought zero change, I still wake up one to two times in the middle of the night for no reason and also have been waking up before my alarm goes off as well. Tylenol PM, Melatonin, and Valerian Root have zero effect on keeping me asleep. Somewhere on here I read a post where someone said that their sleep problems could be related to eating a massive amount of food late at night causing bllod sugar issues, which is when my feeding is. I may have to start a thread for Garrett to look at. Let me know your thoughts, thanks.
Randy Gurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator