Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 01-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Blake McCarthy

Default What to get next?

First post here, but I have followed this forum for quite a while as I enjoy the debates and the different views on training. I come from a football and more recently rugby training perspective. Like most, I found this site through CrossFit and feel lucky that I was never fully bit by the CrossFit bug as I enjoy being strong (at least by normal standards as I don't compare to the real beasts). Anyhow, due to getting fed up with the crappy hours at my gym (closes at 10 on weekdays, random hours on the weekend) and the lack of equipment I really use, I bit the bullet and have begun constructing my garage gym. It is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. I put a significant amount of capital into it as I didn't want to buy lousy equipment that I would never use. Here is what I have put together so far:

Rogue Bar
320Lbs of Bumper Plates and 425Lbs of Steel Plates
Rogue SPX Squat Stand and Flat Bench Iron Mind Spotter Racks
Rubber Matting for entire garage
Stud Pullup Bar
Squat Box and Set of Plyo boxes
2 sets of chains from Elite Fts
40Lb Med Ball
12# Sledge
Semi Tire and Frontloader Tire
Dip Belt
55# And 72# Kettlebells
Pair of 50Lb Dumbbells

So I feel I've got everything I "need", but this stuff is like my toy chest and I wanted some advice on what to get next. I'm down to two options: a prowler or a GHD. I think I'm leaning toward the econo-prowler from Elite Fitness, but I think I should eventually get a GHD to round out my gym. I still train for rugby as I like to think I am only in a temporary hiatus from the game due to my job (which should change in about 18 months). Sorry for the long thread, but I'm really excited about this and appreciate any input.
Blake McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
Blair Lowe

If it's between money spent I'd get the econo prowler instead of the GHD.

If you get a cheap door pullup bar, you can set it low, lock your feet under and do floor glute-hams lowers and raises. If you have a bench, you can lay on it and do bent leg reverse hypers on it at least.

You could use a towel for towel pullups (instead of rope climb) and make up a set of rings and a plyo box besides a nice jump rope. A simple piece of 4" pvc seems to work wonders as a roller but it is somewhat rough on the shoulder blades themselves

A rower can be a huge expense but some might like it. Unfortunately, like a GHD, it's a huge expense and it's not a strength priority unlike a GHD/RH.

Actually, another tool might simply be a small digital camera with video options. While it also serves as a toy, it provides instant feedback to what I'm not doing right versus just cueing it myself. I made the plunge for mine when I considered it a tool but unfortunately the LCD screen is not outputting properly so I need to have it replaced (it still takes footage but I can't view it till I connect it a computer so it has limited functionality).
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Parallettes or sturdy dip bars?
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
Jane Michel

Do the door pullup bars place any weight on or against the door frame?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Brian Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Zhuang View Post
Do the door pullup bars place any weight on or against the door frame?
Depends on what you get. If you get the kind that you drill into the frame and you use a stud finder, you should be fine. The other option is the kind that is designed to be hung at the top of the doorframe based on leverage. This will distribute the load mostly across the top of the frame.

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Sell memberships....sounds like a sweet setup!
Old 01-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
Blake McCarthy

Mike, good idea. Being the nerd I am, I ran a quick IRR calc before I pulled the trigger and the garage set up actually has a 20% return over 24 months due to the savings I get from not being a member of that overpriced gym I used to work out at.

Blair, I forgot to add that I already have a Concept 2 Model E (a friend of mine has a hook up for them for the condos he owns, great deal), 2 sets of rings (metal and wooden) and a very nice jump rope.

For some reason, I just like the idea of the prowler as my next purchase. I always hated sled runs back in football offseason workouts and the prowler sounds like it one-ups those nicely.
Blake McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Steven Low
Super Moderator

A girlfriend to massage you 3x a week....

Errr, I mean foam roller.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:28 AM   #9
Jane Michel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stone View Post
Depends on what you get. If you get the kind that you drill into the frame and you use a stud finder, you should be fine. The other option is the kind that is designed to be hung at the top of the doorframe based on leverage. This will distribute the load mostly across the top of the frame.
Mmm yeah, was looking at pictures of those that hang on top of the doorframe based on leverage and thought they'd touch the frame. My mother will strangle me if I drill holes or damage anything in the house. After your confirmation that it touches the frame I guess the only way to do pullups around here is to get a freestanding bar!
Old 01-31-2010, 07:17 AM   #10
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Zhuang View Post
Mmm yeah, was looking at pictures of those that hang on top of the doorframe based on leverage and thought they'd touch the frame. My mother will strangle me if I drill holes or damage anything in the house. After your confirmation that it touches the frame I guess the only way to do pullups around here is to get a freestanding bar!
Anywhere you can hang rings or a bar from? like the Again Faster bar?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote