Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 01-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Gary Ohm

Default Sickness and recovery

I have not been around for about five weeks. I've been lurking in the shadows but not contributing.

On Dec 16 I got a low grade fever and a little burning in my chest. The low grade fever went away in about four days but the burning turned into a wracking cough that has lasted five weeks. I went on anti-virals and then anti biotics.

It was not H1N1 nor the seasonal flu. Both of the doctors I visited, including the emergency care the day after Christmas, said that something is going around that is taking people six weeks to recover from.

During the holiday season I was around all of my family, about 16 in all, and I am the only one who has gotten sick. None of the doctors know what this stuff is. Any sort of physical activity sent me into coughing fits that lasted anywhere from one to three hours. I missed three weeks of work.

Until this past Wednesday night, today is Saturday, I was sleeping in a recliner as I was unable to lay down. If I even approached laying down I would go into a coughing frenzy.
Now I am managing bronchitis and asthma with a few different inhalers.

All of the progress I was making on my shoulder stopped because any movement at all sent me coughing (even little arm circles). So I am starting over with my shoulder. The ribs that were healing quickly un-knitted for the first three weeks of coughing.

Just yesterday I started working out again and managed a few reps of horizontal rows, dead hangs, very careful pushups, and toe touches.

Today I got on the treadmill, gawd I hate treadmills , and walked about a mile. It was all I could do. I am now able to walk up and down the gentle hill in front of the house without falling into 45 minutes of coughing. This is the same hill I used to sprint up and down with a #60 weighted vest.

I've lost about 10 scale pounds, but my belt is tighter. So I've lost muscle and gained a huge amount of fat. The majority of my calories have been codeine and cough drops. For whatever reason the cough drops really do help.

Any way, I'm glad to be back on board, and I won't be taking things like breathing for granted again...

Thanks for reading.
Gary Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Damn! Glad you are on your way to recovery.

Don't worry about the weight loss and conditioning.....you can gain that back. Health is more important in the long run.

Get better soon!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Gary Ohm

Thanks Mike,
Health and longevity are what I'm all about any more. I hope to get another 50 active years out of this body, so I'm training for the long haul.
Gary Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote