Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Jason Brown

Default Once a week o-lifting

Hello Catalyst forum, long time lurker, first time poster. I am working on programming a combo of powerlifting and o-lifting. I am planning a monday wednesday friday schedule where monday is max effort upper body + dynamic effort lower body, friday is max effort lower body + dynamic effort upper body. Wednesday I want to be O-lifting day, but I am not sure how to structure it. Can anyone here give me some Ideas. My thoughts are to work up to a heavy single on a particular lift and then back off to 70 to 80 something percent for sets and reps according to Prilepin's chart. Am I looking in the right direction?
Jason Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
Alex Bond

I liked "work up to a heavy single, take off 15-20%, do 3-5 more singles", "do 10-18 reps across on the minute at a light weight", and "5 singles across". I'd snatch and C&J on the same day, doing one heavy and one medium/light, switching up which was heavy, just choosing one of those three set/rep combos for each one. It was okay for maintenance or slow progress, but to really get better you need to do the Olys more than once a week.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Kevin Perry

Jason,

That's similar to what I have done in the past and it has worked out pretty well.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Jason Brown

Thank you Alex. There will always be trade offs cross training like this, but I am seeking the optimum balance so I can progress in both disciplines at the same time. How would you add more o-lifts into my program. Maybe another day dedicated to o-lifts?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Are you more interested in the full or power versions?

I'm currently doing just 5/3/1 with power cleans (among several other things), but I usually full snatch one day a week.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Arien Malec

What are your goals? And what's your current level of o-lifting?

Ideas for getting more practice: throw in 5 singles of a snatch or c&j movement, focusing on your weakness before each PL workout.

Ideas for structuring your oly day: if you have excellent, consistent form, go for the "work to max, back off for some singles" approach. If you don't, go for 80-85% for 10-20 singles or something like Mills 20/20.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Jason Brown

I don't really have a preference. I have been rotating between the power and full versions of both snatch and clean after 3 weeks, and doing this once a week on my total body day(3 day MEBB template). These have been done working up to a heavy triple(week 1) and heavy singles (week 2 and 3). Recently I added the dynamic effort tier to this program( Coach Rut's advanced template). I am concerned that I am not allowing 72hrs. between the DE and the ME lifts(per Westside's recommendations). Also I am beginning to believe that the template may not be the best structure for the o-lifts. After considering this I am playing around with changing it to this: Monday ME upper / DE lower, Wednesday ME O-Lifts / DE O-lifts (total body day in MEBB speak) ,Friday ME lower / DE upper. I haven't heard o-lifters talk about ME and DE, so this is where I need some guidance. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I suppose I would work up to a max single then back down to the 70 to 80 something range for the DE work. For the powerlifts I would never do ME and DE the same day, but this seems to be the norm for o-lifts, although not really described in that terminology.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
Jason Brown

My current level of o-lifting: best snatch 240, best C&J 300, front squat 475, overhead squat 365, push press 365. As you can see I have a strength base, but am relatively new to o-lifts. My goals are to become more explosive for the highland games ( I am new to this) and also compete in local powerlifting competitions.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
Alex Bond

Your situation, being very strong and not very technically proficient, sounds a lot like what Arden Cogar was dealing with a while ago. He's on the boards here, maybe send him a PM or post in his log, and he might give you advice better suited for your particular situation.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
Matt Foreman

My personal advice would be to attend the seminar on March 13-14, where you will learn a legitimate cornucopia of helpful information on combining PL and OL
Matt Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote