Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 02-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Have you been to a physical therapist?

I can't see you personally but it sounds like you have more issues than just weak pecs and SA.

Sounds like your pecs just gave up compensating for your SA.

Instability in the scap can impinge on brachial plexus causing neurological symptoms. That's what's going on... now gotta stabilize and strengthen it...
Old 02-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
Grissim Connery

i did see a physical therapist for my shoulder rehab. to be honest though, i didn't get to finish the tail end because of money issues. i've almost got these handled, so i am looking to go back.

i did cable flies yesterday. i did feel quite a squeeze in my chest. my face actually got a lot redder than i would have thought. like more red than handstand pushups. the odd part was that i felt an almost painful squeeze in the sternum area. it was like those tendons were trying to pull so hard that it hurt. if i try to flex my pecs, i immediately feel this area get the same painful feeling.

my only history with injuries here is:
1. a year and a half ago i injured a rib while grappling. somebody was pressing their knee hard onto my chest (not good form, but it's a good way to be an asshole). i had to take it easy for a while until it relaxed.
2. i threw a really boney guy, and he landed on his side a bit. i kinda lost control and came down on top of him, with his sharp clavicle breaking my fall at my sternum. i had to take about 2 weeks off.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Well, don't aggravate your chest. Massage it and ice if you need to.

Hmm, it's possioble that your body interpreted the impacts you've received as damage and switched off control of those muscles to prevent what it perceives as injury.

It's gonna suck trying to get reactivation though. Gotta squeeze a lot. Do it everyday everywhere -- squeeze your pecs and SA.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
Grissim Connery

i'm gonna feel like such a bodybuilder now. how embarrasing! in all seriousness, i felt dirty doing the cable flies the other day hah.

I read that a good method for activating the serratus is to do pushups with one hand elevated. i used to do these a lot. i tried them again and my pecs activate quickly compared to any other movement. i'm gonna GTG these for a while.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #15
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sounds good to me.

The more you practice, the better your body will get at activating the muscle.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #16
Grissim Connery

Update for anybody interested

I've gotten my shoulders to feel a lot better by doing a few things:

1. if having pain when contracting chest, take NSAIDS
2. weighted support holds in rings: once i start adding weight, my chest has to activate
3. intensive bicep stretching: i feel this is a huge part. normally when i try to stretch my biceps, i feel it in my forearm or shoulder and NOTHING in the bicep. i've found some ways to use a dowel more effectively, and just recently i've been able to start feeling some bicep stretch when i go against a wall. normally i feel that entirely in my shoulder.
4. plenty of work with pbar dips: if i just stick to ring dips, then the pain sometimes gets worse. i guess the bar dips helps some of the stabilizers rest while others get strengthened
5. cross pullouts (band assisted for now): this causes me to use the correct muscle groups when in support and dips and what not

my shoulders have been feeling better and better recently for certain exercises. i was able to do a pbar dip with 85# on a weight belt today. i attempted 100#, but to no avail. a little while ago i would not have even been able to wear a weight belt while on the pbars
Old 03-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #17
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sounds good... keep us updated..

If you have access to cables it may be a good idea to start doing D1/D2 flexion and extension work.