Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-03-2010, 05:10 AM   #11
David Glass

No training last night... Wife's b-day

I'm loving this new phase in my training. Last night, I had b-day cake, then, much to my family's horror, seconds, then, I really threw them off when I had thirds... yeap... hold back no punches

That being said, I'm not planning on having cake everyday, just upping the calories to see what they do to my strength gains
David Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #12
David Glass

Default Squat Day

Aaaah, my nemesis...

Warmup: 5 minutes on rower, 10 air squats, 4 x 5 x KB goblet squats

1 x 10 @ 135#
1 x 3 @ 185#

220#
5, 5, 5, 5, 4

Chin-ups
10, 8, 5, 5, 5, 5

I think I might know why squats are such a problem for me. Compared to benching, pressing, deadlifting, the load seems so much more taxing. I think I'm gaging my limitations vs the effort made on those exercises when this is really a beast in it's own

Case in point: On my first set last night, I was about to quit after 3 reps. THen I thought: NO way! You've done more! And completed the 5 reps... same ocurred on sets 2, 3, 4 and 5... wanted to quit, pushed a bit more

I think my assessment of whether I have a rep left in me needs improvement.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:06 AM   #13
David Glass

Training:

Warmup... 5:00 on rower, 2 sets of 10 push-ups

WOD
5 rounds for time of
- 10 x 155# Push-Press
- 10 x ring rows
- 30 Double-unders

My Time... 24:45

Diet:
Been sticking to may paleo-oriented diet, but I have been occasionally endulging in carbs like cake, bagels, granola bars, pancakes... this has been over the past 2 weeks.

I have gained about 5 lbs, but since the first 4 were pretty much overnight, I'm attributing most of it to the fact that I was simply dehydrated as a result of going overboard with calorie cuts

Although I have been enjoying the rushes carbs have given me over the few days, and feeling a lot more aggressive and strong as a result, I realized last night this is just perception. There are days where you feel stronger, but you aren't, and days where you just don't feel like you have it in you, and you end up breaking your own PRs

Last night I felt pretty strong, but all my energy faded in the third round of my WOD. I still pulled through, but I think that's a warning that the strategy of taking carbs might not be working.

I'm no longer going to endulge regularly on the breads, bagels, etc. Instead I will go back to taking milk, this time whole milk as opposed to 2%. I will start with a gallon a week and adjust calorie intake by adding more nuts and oils.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:51 AM   #14
David Glass

Warmup:
- 5 minutes on rower
- 4 x 10 air squats (for stretching)
- 3 x 8 Goblet Squat
- 155# squat clean practice (never done this before as part of the wod, so I wanted to make sure it didn't demoralize me while the clock was running)

Then...

3 rounds for time of
- 8 x 155# Squat Clean
- 8 x 40 lb weighted ring dips
- 400 m run

My time was in the 25:00 range. Doing the squat cleans after the run was pretty much lights out every time I came out of the squat, so I'd have to dump it, recover, go for another rep.

I pretty much started the same way when doing 135# cleans, so I'm hoping I'll be doing my wods consistently with this weight in the future

Dips were pretty easy. I should have gone for 10 reps
Old 03-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #15
David Glass

Was sick sunday and monday with some sort of stomach virus. I barely ate two bowls of chicken soup all sunday and on monday my appetite had recovered at about noon

Tuesday:
Warm-up
- Air squats Ad Libitum for stretching into full depth
- 3 x 5 Goblet Squats

Back Squat
1 x 10 @ 135#
1 X 5 @ 185#
1 x 3 @ 205#

5 x 5 @ 220#

Wasn't expecting to do all 5 sets full, especially after the weekend ordeal and having woken up at 4:30... I guess some days are just good

Today I did Bench Press

Warmup: two sets @ 135# going as fast as I can, even pulling the bar down to chest for speed

Then
1 x 5 @185#
1 x 3 @ 205#

I felt somewhat taxed at this point... maybe the speed thing was a bit too much, still I did

Bench 245#
5, 5, 5, 3, 2
Old 03-17-2010, 06:23 AM   #16
David Glass

Default Squat Fail

I spent about 4 days celebrating my 3 y/o b-day. Took him to disney, tons of gifts and cake

Last night was my first training day since thursday, and I did the following

Warmup:
- Parkour... lazy, turn and thief vaults
- Air squats for stretching to depth (about 3 sets)

Back Squats
- 2 x 5 @ 135#
- 1 x 3 @ 185#

225#
5, 4, 2 + epic fail (had to dump the weight after I couldn't recover from a forward lean).

Because I was video-taping, I ran to the camera to see my first warm-up set and noticed I was about 4 inches high, so I really focussed on depth... probably not such a good idea when working with your max load.

This was really discouraging. Now I'm going to deload back to 205 and start over again. I'm really paying for the teen days I only wanted to bench press

After that I did some 40# weighted chin-ups, with the following progression:
6, 5, 4, 4, 4
Old 03-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #17
David Glass

Did Diane on wednesday, or
21-15-9 of
225# DeadLift
Handstand Push-ups

New PR of 9:55, down from my previous PR of 13:47 just one month earlier.

Last night I did some Bench Press

245#
5, 5, 5, 3, 1
Old 03-21-2010, 04:45 AM   #18
David Glass

An old friend of mine came to train with me yesterday.

It was like reliving the old days because, back when I was a 20 y/o, we would train together in Venezuela.

We did a scaled SealFit workout, since he hasn't been training in years.

I gave my buddy the pep talk: "Don't feel bad, you WILL give up, but it's important that when you do, it's because you truly know you can't continue. Take note of where and why you give up... bla bla bla"

Then we did a 45 minute fitness assessment. See what he was capable of, what injuries he had, etc. The planned workout was being modified accordingly

Then we ended up doing the workout, which consisted of the following:

Phase 1:
- I would do CF Grace while my buddy did rowing. The object was that he would row as fast as possible to gain the greatest possible distance before I finished Grace. Then we would switch... Because he wasn't ready to do the Power Clean + Jerk, I has him do the Sumo Deadlift (No high pull) with a 54 LB KettleBell

Phase 2:

5 rounds for time of
- 15 Wall-Ball
- Me 10 Ring Dips/He 10 knee supported push-ups
- Me 30 Double-Unders/He 30 standard jump ropes

Half way through Phase 2, my buddy complained of shoulder issues (He had injured his shoulder playing tennis), so I had him switch to sit-ups

At about round 3, I looked over to my buddy and he was plugging away... So much for my pep talk... he's a trooper!

Some great results. I had done Grace in 4:02... Although I thought my previous PR in Grace was 6:47, it was actually 5:17 on January 10. So I didn't shave 2:30 as I had originally thought... just 1:15... still about 20% off, so, not terrible

I have decided that as part of training, it's pointless to do Grace at 135# if you're done that fast. From now on, I'll be swinging the 155#, and see how that goes
Old 03-21-2010, 04:58 AM   #19
David Glass

Added note about yesterday

For the past 2 years of training, my maximum HeartRate has always been 187, and I hadn't achieved that in about a year or so

Anytime I would reach 180, I would have to slow down so I could breathe, sustaining that heartrate for 5-10 seconds tops!

I just checked my HRM, and it showed that while doing Grace yesterday, I reached 180+ at exactly 2:00 into the WOD, and sustained it until completion at 4:02
Old 03-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #20
David Glass

5 rounds for time of:

- 20 x 65# overhead lunges (10/leg)
- 10 x pull-ups (deadhang)
- 400m run

My time... 32:52

My buddy finished in 35:56... He did 5 ring rows to replace the pull-ups, and bodyweight lunges