Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #211
Chris Wood

Pat:

Depending on the day, I can be done in 1-1.5 hours, accounting for warmup, mobility, and whether I do any carries/conditioning.

For squats and DL, I rest about 2-3 min. For pressing and row/pullup, I'll rest 2 min. I usually do 2-3 warmup sets at 5/5/3 before the work set. I do one warmup set before the row/pullup.

Work sets vary in RPE for me depending on the day. Some days I've felt great and those sets are easy; on others, it's more of a grind. If it's a grind day, Ive tried not to make any big jumps. The 5/3/2 and 6 X 1 days seem to be the days where grinding out 2 X 5 (or 3 X 3) seem to pay off. Overall, I try to keep RPE ~ 7-8 on 2 X 5 days and 8-9 on 5/3/2 and 6 x 1 days.

I hope this helps!
Chris Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #212
Chris Wood

Default 110810

AM workout in garage, a little tired.

WU: GS, bag swings, KB swings w/24 kg KB; snatches and CJ w/16 kg KB

Squat 2 X 5: 235, 245 X 5 w/belt

Floor press 2 X 5: 185 X 2 X 5, 6

DL 2 X 5: 325 X 2 X 5, w/belt

Pendlay rows 2 X 5: 235 X 2 X 5, w/belt

Ab wheel 1 X 10
Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #213
Eduardo Chile

I like your log and I read what you're doing time to time.

Just a question, what is your goal with choosing those reps/RPE's? Neurological changes more versus physiological changes? vice versa, etc? Just want want sure it's as efficient as possible.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #214
Chris Wood

Eduardo:

I typically post the RPEs for my own bookkeeping, to remind me how I was feeling that day.

Overall, my goal on the 2 X 5 days is to keep the bar moving fairly quickly while keeping decent form. Of course, there are days where it feels more of a grind.

On the 5/3/2 and 6 X 1 days, I'm trying to keep the weights going up while leaving a rep or two in the tank.

I guess I'm trying to manage things more from a neuro standpoint. I'm almost 40, have a busy family, and work a "circadian" shift schedule. My overall goal is to keep moving the weights upward without frying myself.

If you have a better suggestion, I'm all ears, as I'll probably be moving to a 3 day/week template soon. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #215
Eduardo Chile

I think for most people working up to an RPE of 8-10 is a good start. The typical RPE should be a 9. An option to control workload is to use fatigue drop and give yourself a range, 0-3%, 4-6% or 7-9% (very rare) to work to.

Say you working up to a max bench of 200 X 3 @ 9, and you want to do 5% fatigue. Take 200 * .95 = 190. So drop the weight down to 190 and keep doing it until it's a 9 RPE.

Also, you might try to do 3 weeks of more volume type training say 3-5 reps and then 3 weeks of 1-3 reps. Being stronger complements being bigger, and being bigger compliments being strong, as ridiculously simple as that sounds.

Just food for thought, I've also seen higher intensity programs work. Then you have Sheiko programs too with high volume.

I think the cycling of the 3 weeks is good start to note what works best for you.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #216
Pat McElhone

With respect to Ed, I like what you are doing and I think it is the best program for a guy like you (or me).

Also, I really like the coach who wrote it. The older I get, the more injuries I get, the more I realize, I should just be listening to Dan John and ignoring everyone else.

My new favorite Dan John line is to get stronger, we must lift weights! But, how much, how often, at what intensity (% of max) is all debated. Every program has gotten people stronger. So, they all work, the million dollar question is what program will work best for a certain individual. I think the program Chris is doing is program that will work best for him, in the long term.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #217
Chris Wood

Thanks, Pat & Eduardo. I appreciate your input here.

Busy week, only time for 2 "deload" days.

Monday:

PP doubles: 115, 135, 155, 175, 195

Litvinovs: FS 165 X 8/Run ~150m X 3 rounds, rest as needed. Calf felt fine, FS felt harder than it should have.

Friday:

PP doubles up to 195 X 2 again

DJ complex A X 5s: 45, 65, 85, 105, 125
Old 08-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #218
Pat McElhone

Chris,

Saw your post on ladders..are you moving on from "easy strength"? Can I ask why? Thanks,

Pat
Old 08-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #219
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McElhone View Post
Chris,

Saw your post on ladders..are you moving on from "easy strength"? Can I ask why? Thanks,

Pat
It's mostly schedule-related reasons. I'm not going to be able to get in 3-4 days/week in of training for the next few months. I think Steve put it best that "letting the volume do the work" will work well for me. It's worth a try for the time being. I'm going to try to be intentional to use somewhat of an "Intervention" template for accessory work and make sure I'm hitting a squat, hinge, push, pull, get-up, and carry with my sessions.

I'll definitely go back to DJs template again, when time/schedule allows and when I need a break from the Shaf's ladders. I think it's an excellent "reset" template.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #220
Chris Wood

Default 110822

WU: GS, bag swings, KB swings, active ROM

Squat ladders: 245 X 1/2/3, 1/2/3, 1/2/3

Press ladders: 130 X 1/2/3, 1/2/3, 1/2/3

Pull + Hinge:
  • CTB pull-up + single leg reach
  • Pull-ups 2/3/4, 2/3/5
  • Reach 6/side
  • Rest 1 min