Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 02-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
Garrett Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kerce View Post
i guess the thing i need to determine for myself is whether to work the things i'm deficient in (running, metcon) or (1) the thing i enjoy (strength) or (2) find a different way to get a happy medium of the two.
Life is too short to do stuff you don't like but are "deficient" in. The thought of metcons over 5 minutes makes me sick to my stomach. Not that I do any these days anyway, but I know what I would do if I felt I "needed" to.

I say do (1) or (2).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #12
Kevin Perry

Don't get yourself caught up on what the Internet ninjas from the gin soaked couch boards would have you believe. Do what you want to and go from there. You will feel much better.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
Mike Kerce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
MEBB seems to have been forgotten lately. I'd suggest that route or the 5/3/1 recommendations for someone with your strength levels.
i have never really read about MEBB...i will look into that for sure. 5/3/1 is really intriguing. thanks!
Mike Kerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
Mike Kerce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Life is too short to do stuff you don't like but are "deficient" in. The thought of metcons over 5 minutes makes me sick to my stomach. Not that I do any these days anyway, but I know what I would do if I felt I "needed" to.

I say do (1) or (2).
thanks, i agree...2 ultimately is probably more of what i'd like to do. i'll just kind of have to experiment my way to what works.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #15
Mike Kerce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
Don't get yourself caught up on what the Internet ninjas from the gin soaked couch boards would have you believe. Do what you want to and go from there. You will feel much better.
ha. thanks...ultimately 9 out of 10 people will end up doing what they want anyway, but i really do value all the input, as i wouldn't even begin to claim i know what i'm doing. i really like the idea of having some freedom in my training and look forward to trying out new stuff and figuring it all out.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #16
Garrett Smith

You should come to this seminar, or at least get the DVDs when they become available...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:42 AM   #17
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kerce View Post
i have never really read about MEBB...i will look into that for sure. 5/3/1 is really intriguing. thanks!
We sit around similar numbers and I really like the flexibility of 5/3/1, I've done MEBB before and it was good as well but I didn't feel like I was getting enough lifting in for my liking.

A sample plan Wendler lays out in his book is this:
1. foam roll/warmup
2. jump rope
3. main lift
4. accessory lifts
5. conditioning - he recommends hill sprints or a prowler but since where i've been training it's relatively flat and I don't have a prowler so I'd just do a short intelligently programmed metcon.

As for your wife, unless she is really driven I don't think SS would be a good place for her to start. If you recently introduced her to training then I would stick with the basics and find things she finds fun.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
Mike Kerce

thanks to all! i read up on 5-3-1 and i'm really excited about it now...think that's the path i'm going to go for strength. I like how it leaves the door open for additional work. after talking through it with my former trainer and reading around here, I think I will try my wife out with one lift per day 3x per week...but focus on form and building the muscle memory rather than worry about the weight. outside of that we'll work on building her running and building all the basic bodyweight skills...in other words spend the first few months learning and building the proper flexibility and base strength and endurance. we'll figure out what she likes in the process and build something for the future from there.

many thanks to all for the suggestions. for those that have done W531...did you switch to something else after your cycle, or just re-do W531. i thought it'd be fun to do W531, then switch to something different and revisit W531 periodically. good idea? bad idea?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #19
Derek Weaver

Well 5/3/1 is done in 4 week blocks, 3 on + a deload. So a cycle is kind of a subjective term. I wouldn't see a problem with doing 5/3/1 for a few months, then if you feel like getting a little more aggressive going with something like Starr's 5x5. 5/3/1 is the epitomy of slow and steady.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #20
Mike Kerce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Well 5/3/1 is done in 4 week blocks, 3 on + a deload. So a cycle is kind of a subjective term. I wouldn't see a problem with doing 5/3/1 for a few months, then if you feel like getting a little more aggressive going with something like Starr's 5x5. 5/3/1 is the epitomy of slow and steady.
good to know, thanks!