Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
Linus Hector

Default Lost in programming

Im lost.

Im a 25 yo male playing rugby (swedish national) that needs programming help.
Ive been trainig hard in the gym and doing GPP for the last 5-6 years and playing rugby for 17 years. My first 3-4 years of gym work it was mostly bodybuilding, then I found crossfit an that led me to here. For the last 2 years Ive done more propper gym work.

Last nov-dec I did a run of SS after the season ended here in sweden wich got my lacking strength up but not enough during the holidays and up to now Ive not don anything structerd due to work, illness etc.

This weekend I was with the national squad in Barcelona, I did ok but figured out thta if I want to play my game I have to be stronger, faster and fitter due to the increased demands of test rugby.

The season starts in about two weeks with friendles and some gatherings with the national squad. Then the season starts properly mid april.

Right now i train wensday saturdat with the rugby team, lots of running and fitness(pushups, situps, burpies, jumps, crawls etc) touch and stuff like that. Later on we will be training tue and thurs.

Im thinking 531 with condtiong + maybe some speed but do not know how to put it together.

Ive read 531 and ss and the menu about rugby.

Stats

183 cm
95kg
15-20% bf

BS 150kg
Dead 160
press 62,5
bench 92,5
pc 95
ps 70

fran 6min
400m 1:14

Upper body strenght is a weakness, speed is weakness and fitness needs to be better as well.
Linus Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Gavin Harrison

I'm just going to quote Wendler on how to put everything together.

Strength, 5/3/1 + whatever assistance work
Conditioning, Hard after squats and deads, easy after bench and press (3x/week)
Speed, power cleans before squats or deads, also 5/3/1. If you want, some jumps before the other maybe.
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

I wouldn't do 5/3/1. You need more strength in a shorter amount of time than the program will develop.

I guess the one question I have is whether or not you completed linear progression doing Starting Strength?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
Linus Hector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
I wouldn't do 5/3/1. You need more strength in a shorter amount of time than the program will develop.

I guess the one question I have is whether or not you completed linear progression doing Starting Strength?
No I havent and the reason is that i needed to work on other aspects of my fitness than just strength.

The reason I thought 531 was an option was beacause the way you can fit it in with other stuff like conditiong and speed.
Linus Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Brian Stone

I'd recommend exactly what Gant posted in his hybrid thread:

Quote:

I liked the program, and it did a lot of people some good, but I would offer an even simpler version at this point.

For GPP:

M: Snatch, Bench (or push press), Squat
T: Plyo, SM implements, sprints
W: rest
R: Clean, Press, Deadlift
F: skill, stretch, prowler/sled stuff

*for 5-days, add W: skill work, sprints; rest R and train F and S.

Use OLY progressions for the OLY lifts.

For the slow lifts, do 3x5 as a novice and 5/3/1 as an intermediate. If you get stale after a couple years, do 3x12, 3x10, 3x8, 3x6 for three weeks at a time and reset.

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
James Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus Hector View Post
The season starts in about two weeks with friendles and some gatherings with the national squad. Then the season starts properly mid april.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus Hector View Post
No I havent and the reason is that i needed to work on other aspects of my fitness than just strength.

The reason I thought 531 was an option was beacause the way you can fit it in with other stuff like conditiong and speed.
I would say that due to the fact that you will be playing rugby in season again in two weeks you could do SS linear progression until your recovery ability is compromised. In season it might be hard to keep up linear progression but if you can then more power to you. The benefit of doing linear progression in season is that if you can take it then you will probably be getting enough conditioning through regular training and playing rugby. Once you have reached your peak in a linear fashion then yes you could progress to something like 5/3/1 with some conditioning which can be more easily managed on and off season, higher volume and more conditioning off season. The things that will make the biggest difference to your recovery in season are food and rest, you will have to eat a fucking horse a day, drink your milk and sleep like a baby, like 9 hours a night. Remember that if you are stronger then conditioning and getting 'fitter' and faster will be easier, strength however takes longer to obtain.

Try it, if it works then great, if not switch to 5/3/1 straight away as it seems like that might suit better in the case of compromised recovery.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

If you want to get stronger for this coming season linear progression is best as long as you can take it. If you want to get stronger for next season, 5/3/1 will do
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
Harry Munro

Once the season starts, don't think about making progressions in the weight room, concentrate on your rugby. Spend time in the weight room maintaining and rounding yourself off... core work is good. Stability training and mobility work (think goblet squats) are good things to do.

Aim to leave every gym session feeling invigorated not drained.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 AM   #9
Blair Lowe

CrossFitFootball?

I would say the old CrossFitWichitaFalls template but it is probably not enough metcon for his goals, methinks.

or MaxEffortBlackBox.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
Alex Bond

I think that Linus has enough novice progression left in him that CFWF (can we get a new name for this?) would be appropriate.

Mon: Squat, Press, Chins
Tues: Power Clean, Conditioning
Thurs: Squat, Bench, Chins
Fri: Deadlift, Conditioning

Where everything is 3 sets of 5 except PC which is 5 of 3 and DL which is 1 of 5, Chins are whatever, and you increase the weight every time you do the workout. Conditioning should be whatever, not too long, all the usual rules. I know several people who have had a lot of success with this, increasing both strength and conditioning.