Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 02-25-2010, 05:17 AM   #1
James Evans

Default Starting Strength forums

My word, Rip really is a king bethroned before a realm of sulky, petulant, ignorant teenagers.

Is the stronglifts environment like this or is it too heavily moderated? Most of these handpumps seem to have come from there.

Read or pretend to read a book, make a few posts. Laud Rip. Be an expert.

Gotta love teh internetz.

I just read the reaction to Shaf's polite interjections regarding the press and it's left me feeling rather melancholy.

Would be so much easier if the domain name took you to a page that said:

Buy the book. Read the book. Drink your milk. STFU. That's all.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
Geoffrey Thompson

Probably. I think the community is a little "new" and there are a lot of people without a long training history. I think my squat is above the median and there aren't many with a 500 squat commenting regularly in the open areas (is there anybody?), which certainly skews the perspectives. Couple that with the fact that strong people come in, give good (but contrary to the mainstream) advice, and get told off by a n00b, well, don't fault them for not having the patience to stay.
Geoffrey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Jonathan Yoon

Hmmm...

BuyTheBookReadTheBookDrinkYourMilkSTFUThatsAll.com

Nah, doesn't roll off the tongue.
Jonathan Yoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaf
Plus, it's completely pointless to say you've got a 135.5# PR [in the press]. I don't care your age, weight, experience, or whatever. Don't tell people that shit.
Lulz.

I've never done much on that forum because I see Rip every day. I have to say he's a hell of a lot more patient on those forums than if someone asked him those kind of questions at the gym.

Regarding microloading...2.5# plates make me feel a little gay as it is. I can't imagine going less than that.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
James Evans

I dread to think what retarded nonsense gets rejected in moderation.

Actually, that would make a funny book...

Shaf is of course talking out of his arse because he is pale and pasty and swings kettlebells tied to a pair of jeans around his head.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Yoon View Post
Hmmm...

BuyTheBookReadTheBookDrinkYourMilkSTFUThatsAll.com

Nah, doesn't roll off the tongue.
In a world where CrossFit has been abbreviated to dot com (mainsite too much to type?) I imagine it doesn't.

That's an irritating sign of the times.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Geoffrey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Lulz.

I've never done much on that forum because I see Rip every day. I have to say he's a hell of a lot more patient on those forums than if someone asked him those kind of questions at the gym.
I have to say, though, you need to distinguish between the Rip Q&A and the unmoderated forums. The shenanigans alluded to in the initial post are in the unmoderated forum.
Geoffrey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
I dread to think what retarded nonsense gets rejected in moderation.

Actually, that would make a funny book...

Shaf is of course talking out of his arse because he is pale and pasty and swings kettlebells tied to a pair of jeans around his head.
I have trained late on occasion (when Rip reads and posts). He has come out and cussed me out during the middle of a set because of the crap that gets posted on there. Sometimes he would just have to stalk the gym until he could calm down enough to answer the questions.

I don't know why Shaf brings that crap on himself. He either loves arguing with stupid people or he's trolling the SS to recruit some future power bears.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
I don't know why Shaf brings that crap on himself. He either loves arguing with stupid people or he's trolling the SS to recruit some future power bears.
He is certainly well and widely travelled on the internet superhighway. Perhaps he seeks redemption. Apparently he's embittered by Glassman's financial success.

Quote:
I have to say, though, you need to distinguish between the Rip Q&A and the unmoderated forums. The shenanigans alluded to in the initial post are in the unmoderated forum.
Accepted. The rest is a big playground for the kidz to run around and spaz out which is a shame.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
Steve Shafley

Damn, I'm getting assraped everywhere lately. I must be too distracted by external forces to be on top of my game.

Kettlebells swings with jeans?
Financial envy?
People questioning my authority?
Seeking redemption?
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote