Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 03-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #51
Clay Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
I thought it was a poor drawing of a bottle...
That would make sense.
Clay Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #52
Tom Rawls

The psychology here is mind boggling.

Is Glassman unaware that he is incoherent in these videos? Or is he so contemptuous of his audience that he amuses himself by goofing on them?

Is Budding so intimidated that he posts this nonsense because the boss instructs him to? Or is he hoping to undermine the boss? He can't be so foolish as to think these videos make sense.

It would be instructive in a creepy sort of way to learn what goes on behind the veil in Oz.
Tom Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #53
Jason Ashman

The odd part about this whole series is that there are so many Crossfit folks eating it up, and complimenting and congratulating them for the vids. It strikes me that they're not even listening to it.

Part of what attracted me to Crossfit in the first place was that Glassman was a charismatic dude who spoke better than most fitness guys. The fact that what he was selling was so vastly different from your basic Globogym fare was what hooked me, but what got me listening was the dude's delivery.

What I'm viewing here isn't even interesting from a fitness viewpoint; Its just a dude rambling, mostly incoherently, and what is understandable is essentially a guy talking out his ass. Its quite the change from watching the Okinawa Speech a year or so ago.

The strange part is that I couldn't believe that Glassman appeared to be drunk, and that my perusals of IGX had somehow tarnished my viewpoint, so I showed "At the Chalkboard" to a friend of mine with no ties to Crossfit, IGX, or anything else remotely connected to this. She got halfway through the video and declared "That guy is shitfaced!", followed immediately by "I can't watch anymore- He's loaded, and from what I can make out, all that guy's doing is talking out his ass anyway."

Watching Crossfit throw away their credibility bit by bit has been a tad surreal- Crossfit opened up a whole new world of fitness for me, and got me out of bodybuilding-centered workouts, so I have some feelings for the company and the folks involved. I've also enjoyed every CF cert I've been to, found the instructor folks & SMEs to be class-acts, and found the affiliates and their members to be generally good folks with great intentions. But CF is still a business, and one that seems to be increasingly un-business-like in its endeavors.

You just don't post things like this.
Jason Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:29 AM   #54
Wayne Riddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Ashman View Post
You just don't post things like this.
When I've viewed them that was the question that came to my mind; "why the hell are they posting this?" Didn't anyone sit down and view it without their CF rose-colored glasses on?

I saw Glassman speak last year, and like you Jay he gave a really good speech. So we know he is capable of it. No need for something of this quality.
Wayne Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #55
Derek Weaver

I'm convinced Glassman and the sheep are doing these just to see what they can get away with. "Holy crap! They actually think I'm saying something, even though it's a bunch of words with no relation to each other. No actual point. Idiots."

Next we will probably see a wod with 75 ring handstand pushups and other stupid ideas. Oh wait...
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #56
Jason Ashman

More "At the Chalkboard" clips up. This one is at least coherant, but is HEAVILY edited, and cuts out rapidly at a few points, seemingly cutting off Glassman in midstream/thought.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #57
Derek Weaver

Could you please tell me how this is coherent? http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...lP review.wmv

He says, just squat, nothing else. This one may be the most retarded of all of them. Nothing in terms of progression.

And they had to edit the hell out of it. I can only imagine the train wreck they must have skipped around.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #58
Jason Ashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Could you please tell me how this is coherent?
I said it was coherent, not solid speech making. Coherence doesn't mean it makes sense, just that I can tell he's actually speaking english.

I'm still rather disturbed that his ability to say things that make sense has fallen this far. Like him or hate him, no one could argue that Glassman was a charismatic dude with a decent idea and a talent for speaking. Now, it appears his ideas are somewhat skewed, and he's having trouble making sentences- and words, for that matter- connect together properly.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #59
Brian DeGennaro

The full version is the shortest of them all, too. It is definitely more coherent than the others, he does make more sense, but he's still rambling on.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #60
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Ashman View Post
I said it was coherent, not solid speech making. Coherence doesn't mean it makes sense, just that I can tell he's actually speaking english.

I'm still rather disturbed that his ability to say things that make sense has fallen this far. Like him or hate him, no one could argue that Glassman was a charismatic dude with a decent idea and a talent for speaking. Now, it appears his ideas are somewhat skewed, and he's having trouble making sentences- and words, for that matter- connect together properly.
Fair enough. Sorry for coming off a bit caustic.

When I think coherent, I think of an actual sentence that makes sense to normal people.

He's definitely easier to understand on a word for word basis, but he's still not saying anything.