Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 02-16-2007, 07:26 AM   #11
Steve Shafley

Resigned and cynical...that's me.

It's like picking the correct parents to be a professional athlete.

It doesn't mean it's going to happen, but it means it's possible and more likely than not.

I think most of us here would like to live for an active and healthy 65 years, rather than 18 years of youth, 4 years of college partying, and then 30 years of working and slow physical decline, then twenty years of increasing frailty and deteriorating health.

I think making the correct choices is going to help.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:08 AM   #12
Elliot Royce

It's hard to disagree with living a long and healthy life, although if it's only to 65 then I'd probably rather be smoking and boozing. Give me 85 at least!

Studies have a habit of contradicting themselves, but the point of the twin study is that longevity, unlike size, eye color, hair color, or to some extent athletic ability, is not controlled by a pattern of genes that we understand yet. There is no set of genes which guarantee long life, and the variation between twins in life outcomes is huge.

In any event, I'm reminded of CS Lewis's logic on whether one should be religious. He said that since God's existence was unprovable, it was the safer option to believe in God since if God exists, one would be saved, whereas if He doesn't you're dead anyway.

Similarly, choosing fitness is going to be the safer choice (as long as you don't sacrifice all of life's enjoyments for it). Spoken like an Irishman, right Mike?
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #13
joe murphy

"He said that since God's existence was unprovable, it was the safer option to believe in God since if God exists, one would be saved, whereas if He doesn't you're dead anyway."

I think that is called pascal's wager.
joe murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #14
Robert Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe murphy View Post
I think that is called pascal's wager.
It is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

I seem to recall that DeVany once said something to the effect of "you cannot control outcomes, you can only influence probabilities." In reference to Pascal's wager, the "expected value" of living as though my lifestyle choices will have an effect on my longevity would appear to be higher. Potentially large upside and relatively little (if any) downside.

While there will always be exceptions (the seemingly healthy person who dies young of cancer; the drinking, smoking party machine who lives to 90), there does seem to a fairly significant amount of research indicating that lifestyle choices (not just diet) do have an effect on genetic expression, and therefore, longevity and quality of life. Like most every other area of life, YMMV.

Mike,

Quote:
Habbits for more cell repair than cell destruction. Antioxidants. IF. Best quality of live raw foods. Stress reduction. Better sleep. At least strength for all major muscles 1x a week, compound movements. Toxin removal from all aspects of life (food, air, water, etc). and Peace of Mind doesnt hurt either.
Excellent summary... especially the parts about stress reduction and peace of mind.

Great question, Alan, and good points by all.

Last edited by Robert Allison; 02-16-2007 at 09:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:57 AM   #15
Neal Winkler

For health/longevity, I would exercise randomly between 2-5 times per week, mixing high intensity cardio and strength training workouts. Then I would go on walks, enjoying the fresh air with a loved one. Play. Eat nurtient dense paleo foods. Enjoy life.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:18 AM   #16
Robb Wolf

The prescription in Lights Out is pretty damn close to optimal IMO. Periods of the year at or near ketosis. Some moderate intermittent fasting will accentuate the low carb approach. Pretty much seconding what Greg, Neal and others have said.

I think the point of influencing probabilities is spot on. You never really know what the outcome is but you can certainly influence some parameters. Cases like Uncle Fred who smoke, drank and lived to 90 just tells us there is enormous variability from person to person.

The schedule might look like: 3-4 months classic Crossfit programming. 8-9 months of strength work, hikes, 1 hard met once per week, perhaps 1 easier session.

I think the ketosis and intermittent fasting MIGHT extend life, maybe not. I'm pretty certain a lifestyle like the above will ensure some very high quality of life.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #17
Elliot Royce

Before Mike beats me to it, I would add playing ice hockey with friends at least once a week and enjoying a few pints of beer afterwards (the carbs are vaporized by the insulin response). Nothing better for peace of mind and health of body.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:35 PM   #18
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
Resigned and cynical...that's me.
But I hear the blinking on the VBlog is very lifelike.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Royce View Post
Before Mike beats me to it, I would add playing ice hockey with friends at least once a week and enjoying a few pints of beer afterwards
Amen....as the Fri Afternoon Guinness club is about to meet in 1 hour....I love bulking phases.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #19
Mike ODonnell

Another thing that helped me long ago in stress reduction is the 2 principles of:
1) Awareness
2) Simplicity

Getting a book on Choosing Simplicity was one of the best things I ever did. To this day I have no clutter, no worries about personal property and keep everything to what is essential.

Also the whole awareness thing just keeps me in the moment analyzing what is really going on, what I really need to focus on, what is really important to do today and leave everything else for others to worry about.

In the end...since you dont know how long you will live, just do your best to make your life more peaceful, fun, rewarding and enjoy the daily ride. Control what you can...and don't stress out over the stuff you can't.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #20
Scotty Hagnas

Coming in late as usual, I don't have too much to add to what has already been said. ALL aspects of life must be looked at to insure health and longevity. We tend to focus on the exercise and nutrition components here, but the stress reduction and sleep factors are huge.

I don't think genetics play too big of a part in when we check out. Some, for sure, but we really do have control. Looking back to those hard drinking, smoking individuals who live to an old age - what might they have been doing right? Perhaps a very low stress life? Ate crap food, but got plenty of good sleep?

Re: seasonal training - pretty much as Robb described. Low carb + IF 7-9 months thru the winter, doing strength, skill, and movement work + 1-2 metcons. For 3-4 months in the summer, more frequent metcons, maintenance or low volume strength, and higher carbs.

I'd highly recommend movement health and mobility work for health and longevity training as well. One of the simplest ways to judge the average person's age is to simply observe how they move.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland
Scotty Hagnas is offline   Reply With Quote