Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 06-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #51
Mike ODonnell

Giving another bump to this thread cause it is such a good one.....Walshy hit on it and reminded me about it....

Of course I am not really trying to be an athlete professionally...but rather want to make life more simple and enjoyable....to that I am now changing my routine up for:
- IF every day (eat 1pm-7pm..have a Guinness here and there)
- Sat eat whatever I want
- Gym workout 2x a week (1hr each)....Mon, Thurs....compound movements 5x5, 3x10
- Eat a ton (esp protein) during my feeding hours
- Only use Whey/BCAA for post workout days
- No set schedule but bike, play ice hockey, trail/track run....whenever I feel like it...
- (Since I am in a gym everyday) Do some heavy single lifts here and there....add some bodyweight GPP whenever....

Again...only a scheduled 2x a week workout..maybe one week is only 1x...but other than that all the other GPP is just fun and whenever....some weeks may do more...some maybe not....gives the variety and lifestyle I am looking for....in 1 month have made great gains not even trying....and stressing IF and plenty of recovery for long term health....
Old 06-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #52
R. Alan Hester

Good post, MOD.
I really love not having to be in any particular performance shape. The freedom is great.

Here is what I have been doing since mid April. In that time, I have leaned out a lot (15 pounds or 2 inches in the waist) eating 90% Paleo and IFing 3-5 days a week for approx. 17 hours. When I cheat, it is usually with wine, chocolate, and cheese. Since my wife sales wine, it keeps the family life sane.

2X a week: —A1: Push (standing press or ring dips) 5 sets of 3-5 reps
A2: Pull (Weighted Pull-ups or DB rows) 5 sets of 3-5 reps
1 minute rest between A1 and A2 (I stole this from Ross Enamait and Mike Mahler)

—B1: Deadlift (or Squat)5X 3-5 reps (from Robb's article in May PM)
B2: Hanging leg raise, Knee-to-elbows, or 60 sec planks
1 minute rest between B1 and B2

—5 minute finisher (set timer and go for it): sledge hammer, ball slam, ball toss, KB swings, or sprints.

1-2X a week: a metcon workout from Coach Rut, Crossfit, Ross Enamait, or a dumbbell complex I make up or steal from someone who stole it from someone else, etc.
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #53
Mike ODonnell

Good article on long term health and training from a former endurance athlete. Fits into this thread nicely.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/

and another
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-90/
Old 07-27-2007, 04:55 AM   #54
Mike ODonnell

another shot of adrenaline for the thread....I mean what kind of health and longevity thread dies off???

Hack you age
very consise and some good tips...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/aging-hacks/
Old 07-27-2007, 06:40 AM   #55
Robb Wolf

good concise stuff. Nice find.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:25 AM   #56
Mark Bennett

Agree with Mike this thread should be kept going.

Found this http://www.goanimal.com/newsletters/...l_you_eat.html

On the Frank Forencich Go Animal site and thought it sums up what a lot of people have been saying on this subject.

mark
Old 07-30-2007, 07:56 AM   #57
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bennett View Post
Agree with Mike this thread should be kept going.

Found this http://www.goanimal.com/newsletters/...l_you_eat.html

On the Frank Forencich Go Animal site and thought it sums up what a lot of people have been saying on this subject.

mark
Good article...I like the breakdowns of the mental, social and physical (not exercise) needs that we are becoming deficient in....
Old 07-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #58
William Hunter

One topic that has not been brought up directly in this thread (though it probably falls loosely under stress reduction) is SEX, as in a healthy and fulfilling sex life (hopefully with someone, not something) and its role in longevity.

A few years ago I was trying hard to build my Chiro practice, there were 3 kids in the house(2 of them in diapers), sleep was a luxury, money was tight and my wife's and my sex life suffered. With certain needs being unfulfilled, I tended to have more late night snacks and engage in more general binge-type behavior. These were hardly my healthiest years. Now that the youngest is 4, the finances are solid etc, we have gone through a second wave of sexual giddiness and we've recently spent a lot of time (post coital) discussing how important sexual fulfillment is in one's life. Physiologically speaking, there's gotta be some good stuff happening. How much can we harm ourselves by not taking full advantage of this natural resource?

I have an old book called The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity that hits this topic in depth. The Taoists place sexual activity near the top of their list of priorities for a long and healthy life. Of course, the Taoists believe that while the male should have sex often, he should "preserve essence", or as the author puts it, have "contact without leakage" (LOL). This is to allow your body to redirect the sexual energy elsewhere in the body. I've never read anything that actually supports this theory, but the warm fuzzies I experience do seem to be some type of NER, not unlike a good WO.

Thoughts?
William Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #59
Robb Wolf

Sex. Good.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:49 AM   #60
William Hunter

And there you go. Probably best not to delve too deeply into the technical side of things. Just make sure you get some.
William Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote