Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 09-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #71
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Alan Hester View Post
This thread is on its death-bed.

Do you think Low-rep lifts that give a CV stimulus would be a good approach to Metcon during the winter months when carbs are low? Since strength is the main focus then, would these get in the way or sap too much energy?
(see here: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...9535#post19535)

I think Scotty H. has played with this with good results...the Health bias is still speculative but it makes sense.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #72
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Alan Hester View Post
Do you think Low-rep lifts that give a CV stimulus would be a good approach to Metcon during the winter months when carbs are low? Since strength is the main focus then, would these get in the way or sap too much energy?
(see here: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...9535#post19535)
Would make sense, as I do low carb eating IF style and fasted workouts only when strength is involved....other more demanding or sustained metabolic/glycolitic exercises are followed with pwo recovery. All depends on your training and goals...but I like the strength with low carb/IF.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #73
Mike ODonnell

Back to revive this thread....great list on foods here....as the right foods promote health and longevity....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/power.../#comment-8163
Old 09-13-2007, 04:22 PM   #74
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Back to revive this thread....great list on foods here....as the right foods promote health and longevity....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/power.../#comment-8163
Geez, take away the nightshades and what's left is close to all I eat!
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #75
Garrett Smith

I can't wait to drop the nightshade article, I'm going to do some final research (for this article at least) at the medical library tonight.

Suffice it to say, I have a hard time believing that no one beside me has put together these pieces. It's really scary.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:42 AM   #76
Mike ODonnell

Another bump to the thread...interesting article about health amoung different cultures...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20827187...HealthiestGuys
Old 12-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #77
Mike ODonnell

Now we can't have a longevity thread die off....that would be.....ironic.....

More to add from Eades
Quote:
The cell membranes of both young and old honey bee queens are highly monounsaturated with very low content of polyunsaturates. Newly emerged workers have a similar membrane fatty acid composition to queens but within the first week of hive life, they increase the polyunsaturate content and decrease the monounsaturate content of their membranes, probably as a result of pollen consumption. This means their membranes likely become more susceptible to lipid peroxidation in this first week of hive life. The results support the suggestion that membrane composition might be an important factor in the determination of maximum life span. Assuming the same slope of the relationship between membrane peroxidation index and maximum life span as previously observed for mammal and bird species, we propose that the 3-fold difference in peroxidation index of phospholipids of queens and workers is large enough to account for the order-of-magnitude difference in their longevity.
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/2...ne-saturation/

Dump the PUFAs for health.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:28 AM   #78
Mike ODonnell

Mine as well change the name of this to MODs log. Ha!

Interesting story
http://www.reuters.com/article/healt...08454820071211
Quote:
Mediterranean diet lengthens Americans' lives
Men whose diets were closest to the Mediterranean ideal were 21 percent less likely to die over five years than men whose diets were least Mediterranean-like. Similar results were seen in women.

"These results provide strong evidence for a beneficial effect of higher conformity with the Mediterranean dietary pattern on risk of death from all causes, including deaths due to cardiovascular disease and cancer, in a US population," Dr. Panagiota N. Mitrou of the University of Cambridge in the UK and colleagues conclude.

A number of studies have linked the Mediterranean diet, which is rich in fish, fruits and vegetables and nuts and low in dairy foods and red meat, to health benefits, the researchers note in the Archives of Internal Medicine.
Now personally I love the fact that red meat is forbidden and therefore must be evil....but that is common mentality anyways...nothing new, but I would guess it's largely due to insulin control (no sugar), antioxidants, Omega 3s and more stable fats (MUFAs)....that and people probably lost weight and decreased insulin resistance which is prob the biggest #1 health issue that affects all diseases today.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #79
Troy Archie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Now personally I love the fact that red meat is forbidden and therefore must be evil....but that is common mentality anyways...nothing new, but I would guess it's largely due to insulin control (no sugar), antioxidants, Omega 3s and more stable fats (MUFAs)....that and people probably lost weight and decreased insulin resistance which is prob the biggest #1 health issue that affects all diseases today.
That really is the key though isn't it? Insulin that is. Bass, Lalanne, DeVany all follow that same guideline even if they don't realize it.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #80
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
That really is the key though isn't it? Insulin that is. Bass, Lalanne, DeVany all follow that same guideline even if they don't realize it.
I'm no medical expert...but in my book Insulin Resistance is the #1 factor you can tie to so many other diseases....as with insulin resistance you get the cells not able to correctly absorb nutrients, minerals, vitamins...lead to fat storage...lead to inflammation...lead to diabetes...lead to cell degredation...lead to increase risk of cancers....lead to joint inflammation....lead to accelerated ageing...etc...

I mean there are lots of factors involved....say Gut Health....but if you are treating insulin resistance with the right foods and no sugar...then your gut will heal. Seeing how to reverse insulin resistance you need resistance exercise, no sugar, fasting, proper foods for blood sugar control, omega 3s....sounds like everything you need to do anyways. The only thing that varies is the level of resistance per person as people in worse shape need to do more of the things listed above to try and get back to whatever normal may be.