Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 03-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
Jacob Rowell

Good write-up and info. A place I train at swears by the use of front squats w/ accommodating resistance for push press/jerks. Makes sense.

Ive been on a high frequency/volume, moderate weight approach for my overhead, with lots of variation, and it's working well. Bench, floor press w/ the axle, axle jerks, shoulder press, plus extra work with dumbbells for incline and floor. One big lift, usually ME or at a heavy weight, and 2 assistance movements, 1-2 days a week.
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
Brian Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
ianother real weakness for me. a thing i have recently added is seated overhead lockouts, think 3-4" ROM from pins. i'll do these with 50-70 pounds over my best press for sets of 5-10. less taxing than standing lockouts but still gets soem weight in your hands.
I like this idea. Most of my failure reps overhead occur after I move the bar about 30%, so this could be a strong subsidy for that. Also like that it's generally a different movement.

Any experience with one arm DB clean and PP? I saw a video of Derek Poundstone doing these the other day, and they look like a great overhead movement that provide completely different resistance to the shoulder than the BB motions.

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stone View Post
I like this idea. Most of my failure reps overhead occur after I move the bar about 30%, so this could be a strong subsidy for that. Also like that it's generally a different movement.

Any experience with one arm DB clean and PP? I saw a video of Derek Poundstone doing these the other day, and they look like a great overhead movement that provide completely different resistance to the shoulder than the BB motions.

the db push press is a nice variation, i hit them about once a week using a holle (thick offset handle) dumbell. sometimes alternate them with one hand snatches.

common theme emerging above, frequent, varied, practice, going for max one day a week.

jacob, totally agree on the accomodating resistance. that's the shit for front squat assitance: bands, reverse bands and chains all work well for the long legged people.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #14
glennpendlay

I wrote that a LONG time ago! My feelings havnt changed much. It takes strong legs to be a good push presser, push jerker, or jerker. I still think that if you want to be good at any sort of pressing, including push pressing, training it 3 days a week with 3 different movements is the way to go. These exercises could include benches, incline benches, presses, press with chains or bands (chain presses best done seated), lockouts, push presses, and I am sure many others. when you are not making progress, change an exercise or change the rep ranges.

One thing, my best push presses came at a time when I was doing military press once a week, and push press once a week, and no other pressing, so not quite what I am recomending here. But I was also jerking heavy multiple times a week, so although this is not a slow movement like a press, I think the extra work makes up for the third day.

working a group of mucles or a general movement pattern 3 times a week, with 3 different exercises each with a slightly different emphasis is a very, very good way to get strong.

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #15
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Get your Fran time under 3 minutes. Problem solved.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
Brian DeGennaro

So when would the deadline to push press 300# be? I'm game for it, I'll shoot for it by getting my squats up (as well as classic lifts).
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #17
Dave Van Skike

as soon as you can.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #18
Brian Stone

I would be in, but 300# is way out of my wheelhouse.
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #19
Dave Van Skike

so what? .today it's at least 50 pounds away for me.. tommorow it's a little closer.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #20
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

That surprises me, Dave, as your legs are a lot stronger than mine.

Hell, count me in on 300. I haven't PPd in awhile, but I used to do around 245-255. Gotta start practicing for the next challenge anyway.

Last edited by Gant Grimes; 03-16-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote