Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 AM   #11
Jay Cohen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Western Pa
Posts: 416
Default

Derek/Dave;
Appreciate the feedback and I'll check out the Applied Strength article, btw, Brett Jones lives in Pittsburgh, we've chatted on the phone, great guy.

Derek, interesting you mentioned that type of assistance work, here is a paste for part of the 5/3/1 program:. I do not do the leg curls, db rows, but try to get in the other stuff, are you suggesting that I should switch up and do standing press assistance work on bench day and bench assit work on press?

Here is the "Strength" template assistance work from the book:

Squat Day
Squat: 5x10x50%
Lug Curls: 5x10

Bench Press Day
Bench Press: 5x10x50%
DB Rows: 5x10

Deadlift Day
Deadlift: 5x8x50%
Hanging Leg Raises: 5x12

Mil. Press Day
Mil. Press: 5x10x50%
Chins: 5 sets to failure.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #12
Matt Wichlinski
New Member
 
Matt Wichlinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10
Default

after your pressing work, do weighted ring pushups, with chains around the neck, for max reps and maybe go for a short run between sets

another assistance exercise i like to do is hanging a kettlebell from my waist via chain or belt and do pushups in the rack with hands on the bar and feet elevated high enough to not let the bell hit the ground.

you'll get a ton of trunk stability here as it feels like someone is standing on your back while doing pushups, don't sag at all
Matt Wichlinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:30 AM   #13
Donald Lee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Derek/Dave;
Appreciate the feedback and I'll check out the Applied Strength article, btw, Brett Jones lives in Pittsburgh, we've chatted on the phone, great guy.

Derek, interesting you mentioned that type of assistance work, here is a paste for part of the 5/3/1 program:. I do not do the leg curls, db rows, but try to get in the other stuff, are you suggesting that I should switch up and do standing press assistance work on bench day and bench assit work on press?

Here is the "Strength" template assistance work from the book:

Squat Day
Squat: 5x10x50%
Lug Curls: 5x10

Bench Press Day
Bench Press: 5x10x50%
DB Rows: 5x10

Deadlift Day
Deadlift: 5x8x50%
Hanging Leg Raises: 5x12

Mil. Press Day
Mil. Press: 5x10x50%
Chins: 5 sets to failure.
I like mixing up each day's work. For example, if I have a lower body day, I'll do Back Squat, Deadlift Assistance, and Back Squat Supplemental. Or, Deadlift, Back Squat Assistance, and Deadlift Supplemental. If I were training the Military Press and Bench Press, I'd do a similar setup. I haven't read 5/3/1 in a while, but I'm assuming you train something like M, T, Th, Fri. Although you train some of the same muscles twice per week, IMO, you get better progress with something like my setup vs. blasting each movement once per week. BTW, my setup is taken from Reactive Training System.

Assistance work is generally a low-rep variation, while supplemental work is high rep stuff. For supplemental work for the upper body, I tend to like more isolation exercises. I've done JM Press, Bradford Press, and BB Curls. Since recovery may be an issue, I'd choose at least one assistance or supplemental exercise per workout. I like Derek's idea.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
Derek Simonds
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 4,231
Default

It's really Gant's idea I just have ran with it and had the best results of my life on pressing.

On Bench day I do whatever the set / rep scheme is required and then do sets of press with 10 reps. On press day just the opposite whatever the set / rep scheme is then bench with 10 reps.

Here is last Mondays training

Press 45 X 5, 5, 75 X 5, 105 X 5, 115 X 3, 130 X 3 (Freaking Huge PR!)
P/U 6, 6, 6, 5, 5

Bench 45 X 10, 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 155 X 10, 165 X 10
DB Rows 50 X12, 65 X 12, 12, 20

Whenever I press I always superset it with a pulling movement.

Hope that explains it.
__________________
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe, is in the end, of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do. -John Ruskin

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #15
Dave Van Skike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wichlinski View Post
after your pressing work, do weighted ring pushups, with chains around the neck, for max reps and maybe go for a short run between sets

another assistance exercise i like to do is hanging a kettlebell from my waist via chain or belt and do pushups in the rack with hands on the bar and feet elevated high enough to not let the bell hit the ground.

you'll get a ton of trunk stability here as it feels like someone is standing on your back while doing pushups, don't sag at all
i like your style matt. i'm gonna steal these ideas.

donald, i echo your comments re: the mixing it up i.e. more frequent practice.

i had a good run doing a 531thing two days a week with press/sq then dl assist, tricep movement, then floor press/dl/sq assist &oh assist..very similar. made easier by splittign into two workouts a day.
__________________
Practical Strength
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:14 AM   #16
Jay Cohen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Western Pa
Posts: 416
Default

Thanks Guys.
I'll keep ya posted on my progress.
Jay
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #17
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Check around sites like DeFranco who trains guys for the combine where they have to do 225lbs for reps. May find specific workouts listed there. Also the Pavel GTG thing may come in handy.
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #18
Jay Cohen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Western Pa
Posts: 416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Check around sites like DeFranco who trains guys for the combine where they have to do 225lbs for reps. May find specific workouts listed there. Also the Pavel GTG thing may come in handy.
Thanks Mike, I have looked at Franco's site, and Pavel is always interesting.
Jay
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #19
Jay Cohen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Western Pa
Posts: 416
Default

Reply from Jim Wendler, nice that he took the time to reply.

3/23/2010 11:47:04 AM - Jay Been following your program for 4 months, plan to follow for many months to come. Plan to enter some pump and runs, need to bench 80% of my weight, 30 times. Current weight 170, I know 137 isn't much, but as of now, I can get 10-15,depending who's screaming at me. If I just follow the program will that be enough? Thanks very much.

Jay,

Id make sure to practice the test (or at least high reps) to get the timing, breathing, feel and cadence down.

But even if you don't do it, you'll be fine. Just concentrate on getting cock strong and in shape
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator