Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Jay Cohen

Default Question on training for Pump & Runs

I know this isnít the optimum forum to post this question, but I value the high level of expertise that residues here. I have also posted over on the Elite Fitness boards under Jim Wendlerís Q&A section?

Iíve followed the SS/PP program for two years, really enjoyed the gains. Currently Iím in my 4th month of the 5/3/1 program and again, enjoying the progress.

Have also added in a 5K training program as I like that distance and going relatively fast, compared to Ĺ and Marathon distances. I also know that this running program hinders my gains somewhat, not sure how much.

Well, I have a friend that has been competing in the Arnold Pump n Runís the last 4 years and really enjoys the training along with the ďpumping and runningĒ. While I have the running program down pretty well, the idea of increasing my bench to the point of being able to do 30 reps at 80% of BW, is somewhat new. BTW, Iím at 170ish, need to Bench 140sih 30 times for maximum bonus deductions. I know that isnít a lot of weight, but Iíve not trained for high reps, nor is my bench my strong suit.

My question is, will following the basic 5/3/1 program get me there, or should I incorporate all the accessory exercises. The program calls for just 1 day of Bench.

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
Donald Lee

You have about a year to train, right?
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
You have about a year to train, right?
Yes if I want to nail the Arnold next March, less if I decide to enter some local events to either train or test my conditioning.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Initial ideas:

Get some technique training from a PLer on proper benching.

What training program(s) has your buddy done well on?

Wendler's recent article on T-Nation about benching suggests a "narrower" (not close-grip though) width of hands for long-term joint health with benching.

I personally want to bench as little as possible, so I'm doing 5/3/1 with presses, weighted dips, and several higher-rep sets of chest-to-floor pushups.

5/3/1 for bench, maybe working in your actual competition weight on your "5" day for a rep max test once a month.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Donald Lee

With a year to train, all you probably need to worry about for the most part is developing maximal strength. Then, starting maybe 6-8 weeks out you could put maximal strength on maintenance and start doing very high rep work (20+ reps or timed) to develop the capillaries and mitochondria and all that stuff. Then, maybe a week or two later, you could start doing medium high rep work. Looking at some of the articles on Joel's www.8weeksout.com website might give you some ideas (specifically the articles that talk about the Tempo Method and Explosive Repeat Method). He also has a sample 6-week Muscular Endurance program on his forum.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

What is your bench max now? Or a rep max?
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:24 AM   #7
Jay Cohen

Don;
Thanks for the advice and website link.

Garrett, as to your first post, agree about getting my technique down. Local PL guy in town runs a solid gym, plan to pay him a visit.

Current max bench is appx 205, that's what my spreadsheet calculates, have not lifted that much.

Thanks again guys.

Jay
Old 03-20-2010, 04:54 AM   #8
Derek Simonds

That is a really interesting competition. I am focused on my pressing, both bench and overhead and Gant had suggested that for my accessory work on 5/3/1 I do hypertrophy sets. So on press days I do sets of 10-12 on bench, on bench days I do sets of 10-12 on press. He had made a great point that the tricep is a limiting factor in a lot of pressing movements. I have made the most gains ever using this method. I don't do any other accessory work at all.

I have been using the more narrow grip on the bench for almost 2 years now and it has made a huge difference. I would say that I bench as close as I can come to how Wendler teaches it without him actually training me. It has made a ton of difference in how I feel.

This week I benched 165 for 10 on Monday after setting a press PR and then yesterday I benched 215 X 5 another pr and pressed 95 X 12, 10. It just kind of flows with the 5/3/1 stuff. You can ask Gant about it or check my log to see my progress using it. I would bet that you could easily adjust it as Donald suggested starting about 8 weeks out to the really high rep ranges 20+ but I would start working 10+ into my program now.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
Dave Van Skike

try a density training block and see how you do. have had recent success using this progression.

two weeks of density work
two weeks of ladders
two weeks working up to a new 1RM... for your high rep goal, i'd think

density block
ladder block, 3*(3,6,9)
531, three weeks but set your % to hit something more like 20,15,10.

or...do the smart thing and get your 1rm to about 275-280 and then do 4 weeks of specific rep work and rule...

also. this is a very old thread from dragon door.

http://appliedstrength.blogspot.com/...ning-post.html

I've used to get my pullups out of the basement, went from a 5 reps max to 18reps in about a month and a half at a flubbery 220 bodyweight
Old 03-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
Derek Weaver

First, that's a good blog post from Dave.

Second, nothing to add per se, but I think it has some carryover to what guys have to do to prepare for the Bench Test at the NFL Combine.

I remember Dave Tate saying something to the effect that if you have 225 on the bar, press it like it's 225. Don't go crazy attacking it like it's 365, you'll burn out too quickly.

More of a mention on proper mindset when the rep test actually happens.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote