Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Grant Anderson

Default Getting a beginner started with Kettlebells

So I'm thinking about getting my dad some kettlebells/instruction to strengthen his core/back/shoulders. He is 67 years old, and moderately active (walks a few miles a day, does yoga weekly, fixes/carries stuff around the house). I think that some basic kettlebell exercises would be good for balance and overall stability, but I don't really know where to start.

I've been using my trusty set of 20kb balls for a while now. I mostly learned through online videos, a few CF affiliates, and trial and error. I don't think that's a very good approach for someone that doesn't really lift, as I don't want to get him something where he's likely to injure himself.

Could anyone recommend a newbie-level video, book, or kettlebell kit (ball and instructional materials)?

I've seen mostly DragonDoor materials, but they seem a bit advanced/hardcore for my dad just starting out, and this Kettleworx stuff just seems like a silly 90's fitness program with a "kettlebell twist."

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Grant
Grant Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Blair Lowe

Hmm.

You could buy this as a gift... Don't watch the making of a KB by Pavel. Damn annoying, lol. At least DD has a modern website now.

Maybe check out to see if a local CF affiliate or similar gym is gonna have a KB intro session. Some do from time to time. You can start off by showing your dad what you do with your KB.

One of those variable KB that only go up to about 30 or 40lbs might be better here than just showing him your 20kg or getting even a 16kg. I find it kind of silly to buy something smaller than 11kg which is why I say the adjustable ones. However, I'm not a real fan of how they handle.

DD also has a DVD for seniors but honestly I don't think I would buy something like that for my grandparent or dad. Especially since it has a senior female on it. Yeah, that's how it is. Oh well.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

Look for Jeff Martone's stuff. He's always made good sense. Either that or maybe Steve Cotter's stuff since he went all full kontact.com or whatever his site is.

Something softer like a girevoy sport style of lifting may be better for the older lifter.

That is if he can get past the boredom.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote