Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 03-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Gary John

Default Whistling near a graveyard?

Kind of notice how the recent death at x-fit was handled very well at IGX, but nada more or less elsewhere.

I owned a rigging company for over 30 years, and that bullseye of killing someone was there everyday.

When everybody is a personal trainer, I'm wondering of how much the actual risks of being that trainer enters into your lives.

Or, is this more like big marathons where somebody croaks in every race?
Gary John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
Kevin Perry

I'm lost, did someone die recently?
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Greg Everett
Administrator

I'm not a doctor, but my limited experience and understanding leads me to believe, as has been said elsewhere, that the nature of her death was one not really caused by CF - it was likely a genetic predisposition, and the precipitating event could have been just about anything. That being said, I do find it odd that the place will exploit the deaths of soldiers for its own benefit (if you really want to help, send the widows and their kids some of that money, and don't advertise it), and yet won't even mention this... makes me envision a bunch of RRG lawyers scrambling madly around the war room trying to erase all evidence of the Company's association. I don't think any trainer or coach, no matter how experienced or credentialed, would have seen it coming. I know of AAA and TAA deaths that had zero apparent direct cause - they just went. There are a lot of ignorant, irresponsible CF trainers doing ignorant, irresponsible CF stuff out there and hurting people unnecessarily, but I don't think this counts - it could have happened in any gym with any trainer; or outside the gym, for that matter.

Best wishes to her family and friends.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Gary John

Yes.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Jonathan Yoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
I'm lost, did someone die recently?
Dede Whitwood, a member of CrossFit Geneseo in New York. She had collapsed during a workout and doctors discovered an aortic tear. They fixed it, but she died a day or two later. The affiliate's website and Facebook have been deleted since Dede's death. The CF forum has one thread that barely had any condolences listed, especially when you compare it to the IGx forum on the same subject. Nothing from CFHQ or the Affiliate blog on the situation either. CF Journal oddly put out an article talking about having affiliates protect their business with liability waivers on the same day as Dede's death.
Jonathan Yoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
Jonathan Yoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
I'm not a doctor, but my limited experience and understanding leads me to believe, as has been said elsewhere, that the nature of her death was one not really caused by CF - it was likely a genetic predisposition, and the precipitating event could have been just about anything. That being said, I do find it odd that the place will exploit the deaths of soldiers for its own benefit (if you really want to help, send the widows and their kids some of that money, and don't advertise it), and yet won't even mention this... makes me envision a bunch of RRG lawyers scrambling madly around the war room trying to erase all evidence of the Company's association. I don't think any trainer or coach, no matter how experienced or credentialed, would have seen it coming. I know of AAA and TAA deaths that had zero apparent direct cause - they just went. There are a lot of ignorant, irresponsible CF trainers doing ignorant, irresponsible CF stuff out there and hurting people unnecessarily, but I don't think this counts - it could have happened in any gym with any trainer; or outside the gym, for that matter.

Best wishes to her family and friends.
You'd think that there would be an outpouring of condolences and something from CFHQ. There was more (forgive the term) "Boo Hoo-ing" over the drama with CrossFit Obsession and an actual statement from CFHQ about it "caring and protecting their own." Seems that this situation is just being blatantly ignored. Not a peep of "So sorry for your loss" from anyone in-charge of anything.
Jonathan Yoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Gary John

I was kind of curious how most of you would react to this.

I can hear wagons circling from here. (at x-fit for those who lost their decoing ring)
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Sad. No one likes hearing things like this....and like said above, could happen to any trainer in any gym too. Hopefully some good comes from it with trainers being more aware of their client's health and their training programming.

Reminds me of how you have to hear about at least one HS football kid dying of heat stroke every year during the August 2x/days (esp in the south).
Old 03-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
Allen Yeh

Wow, terrible. My condolences to her family.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
Joe Hart

Its terrible that this woman died. It looks like CFHQ is a bunch of jerks by the way it has worked out. Now what the truth is who knows. The Kool-aid drinkers are going to side with CF. The perception to me (Joe average, heh) is that CF is a bag of assholes that only worry about themselves (for example releasing the liabilty waiver article).

If it goes to court it will be UGLY. All those Rhabo shirts and I am sure the injury board would get some attention. CF may get off, but it would hurt.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote