Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Donald Lee

Default Ulnar and Radial Flexion

I've developed some wrist pain along the ulnar side of my wrist area from moving my hands so they face back more with my Planche training.

I have looked up the muscles in the forearm, and I can't tell, but it seems as if all the forearm/wrist muscles are pretty much worked in wrist flexion and extension and finger flexion and extension. Does ulnar and radial flexion work any muscles that aren't involved in wrist flexion and extension and finger flexion and extension? I know the brachioradialis is involved in elbow flexion, so I'm not really worried about that.

On a related note, do you think facing the hands back on the ground while training for the Planche helps with transferring over to the rings? I figured that was the hand position you'd have for the rings, RTO, so I might as well use that hand positioning on the ground.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I've developed some wrist pain along the ulnar side of my wrist area from moving my hands so they face back more with my Planche training.

I have looked up the muscles in the forearm, and I can't tell, but it seems as if all the forearm/wrist muscles are pretty much worked in wrist flexion and extension and finger flexion and extension. Does ulnar and radial flexion work any muscles that aren't involved in wrist flexion and extension and finger flexion and extension? I know the brachioradialis is involved in elbow flexion, so I'm not really worried about that.
Nope... everything involved with pure extension and pure flexion is also his in ulnar and radial deviation. Although the intensity/EMG will change a bit on certain muscle groups when you go in the different directions.

This is not unlike the hip/knee complex where everything is hit with flexion and extension of both joints.

Quote:
On a related note, do you think facing the hands back on the ground while training for the Planche helps with transferring over to the rings? I figured that was the hand position you'd have for the rings, RTO, so I might as well use that hand positioning on the ground.
Yes.

Hands backwards or sideways on everything to train for rings/paralletes.

Floor I do hands sideways like pbars. Rings is pure 45 to 90 turned out for me.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Donald Lee

Steven, you are telling me exactly what I want to hear.

BTW. are you doing your PhD in the University of Maryland? I'm moving to D.C. for a post-bacc at American University in a month. I think University of Maryland is pretty close by.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Steven, you are telling me exactly what I want to hear.

BTW. are you doing your PhD in the University of Maryland? I'm moving to D.C. for a post-bacc at American University in a month. I think University of Maryland is pretty close by.
I'll be at univ of maryland at baltimore.

But I will generally be in the area. I come down to DC for stuff at Primal Fitness and other things sometimes.