Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 04-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #11
Kevin Perry

Ok I took that as an opportunity to cap my haterade on Cf some. I'm open minded for smarter conditioning sessions that induce a pile of suck for specific goals.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:25 AM   #12
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
Quote:
The close-grip hang snatch is the best power movement you can do. But you have to do them with a clean grip to spare your shoulders. The only reason guys do it with a wide grip is to use more weight, since it decreases the distance the bar has to travel.
thoughts on this?
Didn't Dan John say something of this nature one time?
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
Mike ODonnell

I like his statements:

Quote:
I wrote an article called "An Apology Letter to Personal Trainers." I've been telling them how to do their job for years and never trained a single non-athlete. Over the past few years I've started to, and it's hard work.

I think personal training is much more difficult than working with athletes. We've got 2 hours per week to counteract the other 166 hours of the week. It's not a good ratio to try and make changes.
and

Quote:
All the guys who get mad at me on the Internet, I just want to say, come talk to me when you're 40.
Both so true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Pushing the prowler, or sprinting up stadium bleachers will f-you up. Not very crossfitty, but still heave inducing. An intelligently designed suck fest certainly has its place if conditioning needs to be a focus.
There is definitely a personality mindset as well. Anything long, slow and steady is usually boring and torture for me to want to do. Put me on the ice for a shift and I want to skate hard for 60-90 seconds till I am about to puke, then come off and rest, and go again. It's just how I am wired.....but I can't do that 5x/week either. I do things now in life for enjoyment, not just for conditioning (although that comes with doing enough suck-fest hockey shifts or mountain bike hill sprints).

Then again...I'm not going to do anything that is going to injury me either when it comes to other training....as that is just stupid (as until you really suffer a bad injury that leaves you on the sidelines for months, you can't appreciate that factor enough).

Quote:
I remember a podcast with him a while back where he and the host were going over the successful hockey season they had at BU (I think Frozen Four in '09?) and the remarkably low number of games missed due to injury. He gets his guys in shape and injury free.
"Injury free" should be the goal of any real professional S&C coach.....as needing to explain to a college or professional team how you f***'d up their athlete. is the quickest path to unemployment in that industry. Hence I would tend to listen to people who do train professional athletes for more than 5+ years....as they probably are doing it the smart way.

....and how Mike Boyle got an article published over there that didn't push taking Anaconda or Surge I'll never know.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #14
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post

"Injury free" should be the goal of any real professional S&C coach.....as needing to explain to a college or professional team how you f***'d up their athlete. is the quickest path to unemployment in that industry. Hence I would tend to listen to people who do train professional athletes for more than 5+ years....as they probably are doing it the smart way.

....and how Mike Boyle got an article published over there that didn't push taking Anaconda or Surge I'll never know.
Regarding injuries, exactly. He has a few pro guys he works with I think, but to keep a hockey team that healthy speaks volumes. He is good at what he does with a successful team. Since I've never trained a high level athletic team, I am not going to argue with him.

I think he deserves the most credit for getting that article/interview published without a t-mag reference (at least in terms of products). Impressive feat these days.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
Donald Lee

Quote:
Regarding injuries, exactly. He has a few pro guys he works with I think, but to keep a hockey team that healthy speaks volumes. He is good at what he does with a successful team. Since I've never trained a high level athletic team, I am not going to argue with him.

I think he deserves the most credit for getting that article/interview published without a t-mag reference (at least in terms of products). Impressive feat these days.
I've never played hockey, so that's my little caveat. I think with a lot of sports, the athletes are just so great and skilled already that good special strength training doesn't make or break them performance-wise. With such cases, injury prevention is probably the most important difference maker.

With more normal athletes, special strength training can probably make a bigger difference in performance.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #16
Dave Van Skike

i want to like mike boyle. i want to feel like i learned something. i don't and i didn't.

i'm one of the guys who wants to say say "screw the OL lifts"...worser even than blasphemy, I want to say the "squat ain't the end all and be all" ( more of my strongman buddies who are past their 40's find the squat is they thing they get the most of dropping)

sadly, a lot of this is shit stirring. the OL's work even if you are old and perform them poorly, the squat works, and the trap bar is a compromise that lets people load up a lot of weight and learn how NOT to deadlift. i could make a better case for doing farmers walk in place of the trap bar dl.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #17
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
( more of my strongman buddies who are past their 40's find the squat is they thing they get the most of dropping)
wait, what? grammar caught me there
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #18
Steve Shafley

Will Heffernan, who owns/operates Informed Performance in Dublin, said something like this: "I don't know how these guys can make multi-disk DVD sets, write blogs and books, and keep answering questions on their paid forums. I have barely enough time to keep on top of my athletes' training and my own training."

With the huge upsurge in hiring assistance to put together material (as per Ferris' 4 Hour Work Week) I often wonder if any given guru's material is indeed their material, or the product of someone else and then given the guru's stamp of approval.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #19
Garrett Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
Will Heffernan, who owns/operates Informed Performance in Dublin, said something like this: "I don't know how these guys can make multi-disk DVD sets, write blogs and books, and keep answering questions on their paid forums. I have barely enough time to keep on top of my athletes' training and my own training."

With the huge upsurge in hiring assistance to put together material (as per Ferris' 4 Hour Work Week) I often wonder if any given guru's material is indeed their material, or the product of someone else and then given the guru's stamp of approval.
In another field, for example, I have been told that Dr. Weil has tons of ghostwriters working for him.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #20
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Regarding conditioning, meh. People are so anti crossfit (I'm in this group) that they view any statement that's close to it as a problem.

Pushing the prowler, or sprinting up stadium bleachers will f-you up. Not very crossfitty, but still heave inducing. An intelligently designed suck fest certainly has its place if conditioning needs to be a focus.
+1 on this statement about the conditioning. It seems that people have such a strong anti-CF bias that it colors their view about conditioning.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote