Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Brandon Oto

Default Log

Moving my log here from the CF boards for political reasons. The previous several months of log can be found there: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39423&page=5
Brandon Oto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

1/24/09

Some quad soreness coming in (prob. from both lifting and rolling), upper back a bit, pecs and arms a bit. Calves a fair bit though not a problem.

Practice with Knights. Some fighting, some drill, then... tag football in the mud. Fair enough.

I was wearing my cleats (to fight) and nobody else was, plus of course pretty much everyone's kinda a small geeky type there, so I was flattening some. The conditioning caught up with me of course but with the breaks it went all right. Ankles pulled through pretty well, no rolling... although as I get home now I have a wicked soreness medial and distal of the right medial malleolus (in the little pit), not sure if it just added up on me. Took some bonks, butted knees with someone, but no real injuries. Pretty good speed and power, good hitting though I went all-out rarely (felt kinda bad), mostly good catches though dropped a couple easy ones, and all good throws on the few times I QB'd.

Noticed left knee (mostly during fighting) but not a problem.

1/25/09

Oh wowza, sore as a beast getting out of bed. Subsided but was hearty all day. Calves, glutes (inc. sides), high and outside on quads (pocket area), abs (from calisthenics? particularly on sides, just below ribs. might be from getting hit in football.), shoulder girdle, knees... quite all over.

1/26/09

Still sore, but mellowed some. Mostly in upper quad/outer glute area, calves (all around) some. Groin (adductors), lower back some.

1/27/09

STARTING V-DIET as of this EVENING (post-workout). Schema:

Max: 1393
Min: 1672

1 scoop (Metabolic Drive): 1.5f, 3c, 20p
1 cap (GNC Triple Fish Oil): 1.5f
1 surge (Biotest Surge Recovery): 26p, 51c
1 tbsp flax (whole flax seeds I ground in the blender, couldn't find milled): 3f, 1p
Hot Rox to be experimented with.
Multivitamin each meal.

OFFTRAIN
1: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 2 tbsp
2: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 2 tbsp
3: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 2 tbsp
4: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 2 tbsp
5: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 1 tbsp

10 scoops (15f, 30c, 200p) 135f, 120c, 800p
5 caps (7.5f) 67.5f
9 tbsp flax (27f, 9p) 243f, 36p

30c, 49.5f, 209p
120cal c, 445.5cal f, 836cal p
1401.5 calories

ONTRAIN
1: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 3 tbsp
2: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 2 tbsp
3: 1 scoop, 1 surge, 1 cap, 2 tbsp
4: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 2 tbsp
5: 2 scoops, 1 cap, 2 tbsp

9 scoops (13.5f, 27c, 180p) 121.5f, 108c, 720p
5 caps (7.5f) 67.5f
1 surge (26p, 51c) 104p, 204c
11 tbsp flax (33f, 11p) 297f, 44p

78c, 54f, 217p
312cal c, 486cal f, 868cal p
1666 calories

STRENGTH
medium

BS, high bar
bar trying to stay more vertical, sit between feet rather than pushing hips back. also: ouch, my knees.
95x5 ouch, my lower back! what the hell.
115x5 lower back... maybe depth? high bar position is letting me go lower than normal, past where lumbar is sound? knees a little better but still hurting. man my body is a mess today.
135x5 back feeling better... trying to cut depth to just a little past parallel. knees still ouch.
155x5 notice that I feel outer glutes quite a bit on these. "stay upright" muscles.
175x5 knees/back okay.
185x5 9.68 knees... otherwise felt okay. some butt rise, some knee dive. vid. http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/cro..._2_1-27-09.mov
185x5 9.8 slopping up. wahhh.
Feel like a messed-up old man. One of those days. Stretched/massaged ITBs between sets to try to loosen up, helped some. Really tried to stay vertical and make this a high-bar squat; fairly successful although it means less weight. On vid actually looks like I was knee diving more than I thought... could be partially responsible for knee pain. Also maybe try wider stance to get more room to sit into.

SP
bar
65x4 kinda heavy feeling... feeling chest?
95x3
105x5 9.4 feels okay... back a bit ouch... keep wanting to fall backwards.
105x5 9.8 last rep close. ouch back. keep massaging ITBs.
105x5 f5 9.8. fair enough.
Seem to still be a bit sore from last time.

WP
BWx5
5x3
10x3
17.5x3
25x5 9.6 fine.
25x5 9.84 last rep hard.
25x5 f5 9.89. failed just short.
All slow, deadhang with pause at bottom, overhand, thumbs over, full range, DB in feet.

Turkish get-up
30. Started at top.
50. Started at top.
60. Started at bottom.
75(right) failed on the way down.
75(right)
75(left) failed on the way down. vid. http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/cro..._f_1-27-09.mov
75(left) challenging.
(Challenge from friend; go for TGU max.) All DBs, right arm then left (separately). Much fun.

STRETCHING

Tried to stay off knees mostly (drop lunges but that's it). This and that. Worked the quads a bunch. Foam rolled ITBs with the weird soft roller. By now knees and back are feeling much better. Kept stretching quads at home. Starting to wonder if I'm getting sick.

1/28/09

Knees fine, lower back a little tight, right ankle a little gooky, and I'm definitely sick. Professor yesterday remarked on it, section today was canceled due to TA having a fever, and postal worker mentioned she'd been puking. Apparently there was even a health advisory over university email about some flu with nausea. Fantastic.

Full-on V-Diet.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Allen Yeh

Best of luck with the V-diet. Not doing the nut butters with it?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Brandon Oto

Figured I'd just try and stick as close to the rx'd version as possible this time around. Last time I gave it a try I fiddled with a bunch of stuff, but now that I'm back in the States I might as well do it properly.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:17 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

2 tbsp's of PB was part of the RX'ed version.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:30 AM   #6
Brandon Oto

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._velocity_diet ?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Chris Shugart has changed his formulations over the years, the original V-Diet article is not the same as his latest recommendations.

The new recommendations are a bit more formalized in this Physique Clinic article series about 1/2 down the 2nd page:

http://www.t-nation.com/readPhysClin...52678&pageNo=1

Dan John also used PB here:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...iet_test_drive
Old 01-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
George Mounce

I welcome your log to these boards! Glad to have it over here.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
Brandon Oto

Fair enough, missed that. I used peanut butter last time I did it; I'll see what's working and possibly add some this time, if I need the variety. At the moment it's just the flax and fish oil for fats.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
Brandon Oto

1/29/09

Just slipped one in between classes. Pretty much just squatted.

STRENGTH
light

BS (high bar)
bar
95x5 feeling the knees a bit, but okay.
135x5 good speed now through the top! rattling plates. dunno what changed there. back totally fine.
165x4
195x5 9.8 ddn't really feel that heavy, but significant knee dive on 4th rep, some butt rise in later reps. plates sliding off... shoulda collared.
205x5 9.89 knees a bit ouch. it's TOO MUCH DEPTH, have got to teach self to cut it off higher, everything falls apart that far in the hole.
205x5 9.979 tried using a box to gauge depth. it was actually lower than I thought. between sitting back to find that, and fatigue, these went to shit; got WAY posterior, bigtime GM. even with box close between legs still was reaching back for it, and slowing to find it so lost much bounce. bad call. knees felt okay. got a vid.

SP
didn't really have time or energy for anything (gym closing soon), so just gave a little blood-mover, soft failure with low weight.
65x10
65x6 actually really feeling these; must still be still fatigued, or also the glycogen. mainly shoulders.
65x5

STRETCHING
Short. Quads too.

1/30/09

Rest. Rolled a bit at home. Still stretching quads too. Knees doing okay.

1/31/09

Went with Oliver. Was seriously beat throughout everything; undoubtedly the diet.

Like four CFers all working out in the same area, odd situation.

Was really beat and practically passing out; between the last bits of sick and the diet I really didn't have much. Ah well. Just maintain. (Also could be Hot Rox doing weird things.)

Diet's going fine, but keep thinking about sushi. Tomorrow might be time for the cheat; not quite a week but it's just out of synch cause I started Tuesday, should really be on a weekend for the sake of sense.

STRENGTH
medium

FS
bar
135x4 olly notes that I butt wink/move around slightly at bottom on these. Perhaps partially due to depth but also could use more midline tightness.
155x3
185x5 9.9 last one a grinder. clearly I will not be going heavy on these today.
175x5 9.9 oh boy dizzy
165x5 9.7 easier, still dizzying. really beat up.
Someone was on the cage so I PCd these from the floor. Probably didn't help. Feeling runover and need a nap. Damned front squats.

BP
bar
135x5 good
155x3 good
185x5 9.65 solid stuff.
185x5 9.8 almost failed last, moved bar superiorly, pulled it out. that obviously helps.
185x5 9.8 f4. 3rd barely made it, 4th was basically it negative, didn't leave chest.
olly notes, should arch chest more.

DL
135x3
185x3
235x3 good
285x3 good
305x1 heavy
325x5 f4 9.9. 2nd was grinder, 3rd was reaaaly tough with bigtime back rounding, 4th only got a couple inches before I dropped it sensibly. just wanted to go heavy today, haven't batted for a DL in a while; can't remember the last time I failed on a DL work set, worthwhile. Overhand hook grip. Back felt all right.

WEIGHTLIFTING
light

Just fucked around with a couple one-handed snatches for fun.
65L
65R
135R f
135L f
Obviously just tired and not getting any pop. Ah well.

STRETCHING

None, hustled out. Stretched a tad at home.