Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #31
Kevin Shaughnessy

Monday June 14th

Squat
45x2x5
115x1x5
135x1x5
165x1x5
210x3x5

For a variety or reasons I'm switching to low bar squats. The main reason is to lift more weight. After 3 minutes rest I felt good to go for the second set. Forgot my belt for it. Got my TK knee bands today. Feels good man.

Bench Press
45x2x5
100x1x5
125x1x5
160x3x5

Second set was wierd. The first few reps felt considerably easier then they did on the first set, but the last felt like someone had slid an extra 10 pounds onto the bar. I think what happened was I got overzealous and shrugged my shoulders forward out of position. All in all though I'm pretty happy about how this bench session felt.

Deadlift
135x2x5
205x1x5
295x1x5

Wasn't nearly as out of breath during the warm up, chalking that one up to a good weekends rest. Back didn't feel all that good during the warm-up. Slight twinges in the discs. Workset felt a little better for some reason. The bar caught on my knee sleeves and pulled them down on the first rep. Design flaw one, solution: long sleeve pants. Took a video and I managed to maintain the extension I started the reps with each one. I'll feel pretty good when I hit 315x5 next wednesday but what I'm really hoping for is 345x5

--------------------

Slept well all weekend and woke up today feeling pretty good. Workout took an hour because of easy squats.
Kevin Shaughnessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #32
Kevin Shaughnessy

Wedneday June 16th

Weighed 213.8 this morning. Looks like I'm beginning to plateau. Not sure if I'm happy about that. Sure I'm not getting fatter, but will it effect linear progression?
Old 06-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #33
Kevin Shaughnessy

Wednesday June 16th

Squat
45x1x10
115x1x5
135x1x5
175x1x3
220x3x5

Knee pain today, last set, in the left knee, one of the quad insertions, the meaty one to the right above the knee. Not sure what caused it. Pretty pissed, I hope this doesn't become a problem. Three things are different about my squat now: low bar instead of high bar, the knee sleeves, although I dont see how they could be contributing, and I also tried not shoving my knees out as far on the set I felt pain on. Next workout I'll shove them out like I have been before and see if it fixes the problem. My left hip flexor/rectis femoris also feels a little painfull but not as bad as the last few workouts. 225x3x5 next workout, if theres still pain I'll deload to 175x5 and work back up. Not making the same mistake I made last time I did SS and try to push through the pain.

Another things thats different is I'm looking down at my knees. Could be significant.

Its funny, but low bar isn't feeling that much easier then high bar. Felt a twinge in me elbow, sign of things to come? Low bar squats gave me terrible tendonitis last time I did them, but then my form was damn sloppy.

Press
45x2x5
65x1x5
85x1x4
112x2x5
112x1x4

Felt a ripping pain in my left posterior delt on the 85# warm up set. No pain during the first workset, just a little soreness after. Forgot my belt for the first set. Second set felt better, no pain during and nearly imperceptable soreness after. First two set went fine, not all that difficult, but the last set something happened, the bar felt much heavier on the right side, so much that I stopped and checked that I didn't have my hands out wide. Later video analysis revealed that the plates on the right side slid towards the end of the barbell, causing an increased lever arm. I'll still increase to 114x3x5 next workout. Video analysis revealed an uneven raise to the bar as the cause. Ill use collars from now on while working on an even press.

Power Clean
100x1x3
120x1x3
135x1x3
157.5x5x3

First set went alright, although it seems like doing cleans sans bumpers is getting increasingly dangerous and hard on my wrists. The weight bounced off my thighs second rep and threw me forward. Second set they all racked pretty low. Third set went excellently. Fourth set first rep went alright, last rep racked low. Fifth set last two reps racked low. Last set went fine, last rep I squatted lower but didn't need to. I'll probably reset once my depth just gets ridiculous.

lol, I may have done 6 sets today.

----------------------

Alot of lollygagging between exercises today, workout took nearly two hours. Got a glimpse of my upper back on film during the press video and I gotta say it looks like the cleans are doing they're work, aesthetically speaking. Knee was sore during the occasional bodyweight squat after the workout.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #34
Kevin Shaughnessy

Friday June 18th

Squat
45x1x10
115x1x5
140x1x5
170x1x3
225x3x5

Knees felt fine throughout warm-up. First set wasnt nothin' but a peanut (have to start quoting ronnie coleman more often, yeah buddy!). No knee pain and maintained knees out like it was nothing. Lower back wasn't feeling so hot after set 1 though, no pain during the set but after there was like an ache. Minor right knee and left hip flexor pain second set. Back pain I think was a technique problem because the first rep hurt a bit but when I focused on sticking my ass out it felt fine. Last set, 2nd rep I bumped the safeties on one side which made that rep quite a bit harder, maybe thats why the rest of the set felt like a grinder. Knees felt fine during that set, little hip flexor pain after standing up with

the last rep.

Bench Press
45x2x5
100x1x5
125x1x5
162.5x3x5

First set was not all that hard, decent bar speed. Second set went well, maybe a little shaky laterally. No big deal though. I think the hard arch I use on the bench fixed my lower back soreness. Felt a pump in my upper back after the second set. Last set was TOUGH. Bar speed slowed to almost nothingness on last rep. Form got sloppy too, favoring one side. Wierd.

Deadlift
135x2x5
215x1x5
305x1x5

My instincts are telling me to set up with my hips lower, for the sake of my back. I believe I will listen. Awesome, lower back stayed in great extension throughout and I broke the 300 barrier. Next stop 405.

--------------

Im getting fat man. Developing a nice big gut. Going to go down to 4000 calories, and I mean it this time. Gotta look good for the ladies, ya know..
Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #35
Kevin Shaughnessy

Monday June 21st

Weighed 214.5-215.6.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #36
Kevin Shaughnessy

Monday June 21st

Squat
45x1x10
120x1x5
140x1x5
170x1x3
230x3x5

Didn't feel so sure of my form during the warm ups. Found my self really accentuating my lower back arch. First set felt fine on my body. Second set felt fine during but after my left leftern-most quad ached a bit. During the sets, I found that I would descent in what felt like my usual downward fashion, but then as I reached parallel I would sit back more into the squat. Forgot my belt the third set. Did not feel good AT ALL. Lower back hurt, felt like maybe it came out of extension. Racked it after 1 rep and repeated 3 mins later. Fuck, not very cool to know I`d be hurting without a belt. Took a vid and it looks like I have a bit of a butt winking problem going on so I`m raising the depth a bit.

Press
45x2x5
65x1x5
85x1x5
114x3x5

Ripping pain in my posterior delt during the 85 pound warm up, but again not there during the workset. Felt it when reaching up afterwards though. One more time feeling it and I`ll have to change my warm up. Bar slowed to a stop at the top of the last rep, second set, still locked it out. Yee-haw, 35 pounders next workout, moving on up.

Power Clean
100x1x3
120x1x3
160x5x3

First set was a little sloppy but not that bad. Second set first 2 reps racked low, I need to start squattin under it each time or I`m going to fuck up my wrists. Squatted lower on third set and it went fine. Fourth set I underestimated the need to squat the first rep and ouch, my wrists. Hurts enough for me to know I`m not going to keep getting away with them racking low. But, even if I do squat low, that doesnt mean I`m throwing it low, though, yo. Last set went fine, last rep was maybe a little too low, I actually felt that one in my legs as I stood up with it.

--------------------------------

Workout took an hour and 53 minutes, no idea why.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #37
Kevin Shaughnessy

Wednesday June 23rd

Squat
45x1x10
120x1x5
145x1x5
175x1x3
235x3x5

First set felt easy as was expected. Bar was slipping down hands though, need to remember to chalk up. Second set kind of left my lower back feeling crappy, not spinal pain but to the left of my lumbar area. I think I'm exagerrating my lumbar arch initially because it felt fine if I lowered with a normal, almost relaxed feeling arch. Right hip flexor hurt more then usual last set. Video doesn't show anything wrong though. Left hip flexor was burning like a mother too after the last set. Geez. Last set had me descending with a normal standing arch in my back and felt fine though.

Bench Press
45x1x5
105x1x5
125x1x5
165x1x5(4?)
165x1x5
165x1x4

Shit, not sure if I did 4 or 5 reps for the first set. I counted five but it felt short. Second set was definetly 5. Felt pretty heavy. Third set, fourth rep went up so slowly I didn't even bother going for a fifth. I'll get it next time.

Deadlift
135x2x5
225x1x4
315x1x0

Couldn't barely break 315 off the ground, let alone lock it out. Looks like 405 wont come so easy. Did not expect to stall this early. Oh well, reset time.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #38
Kevin Shaughnessy

Friday June 25th

Squat
45x1x10
120x1x5
140x1x5
175x1x3
240x3x5

Left shoulder felt pretty sore after these. My form was good, I made extra sure to keep my wrists straight and elbows back but the pain was still there. I'm switching back to high bar, light reset back to 220x3x5.

Press
45x2x5
65x1x5
95x1x4
115x3x5

Meant to do 116x3x5 but forgot to put the half pound weights on the bar. No ripping pain during the warm-ups, but during the worksets this time. Left my right posterior delt a little sore. Not a good day for that bodypart.

Power Clean
100x1x3
120x1x3
135x1x2
162.5x1x1

First rep became an uncontrollable full squat clean, second attempt wouldn't rack. Reset time, 140x5x3.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #39
Kevin Shaughnessy

Monday June 28th

High Bar Squat
45x1x10
120x1x5
145x1x5
175x1x3
225x3x5

First two sets went up without a struggle, third set was hard.

Bench
45x1x5
100x1x5
120x1x5
165x1x5
165x1x4

Stalled out, calling it officially. Reset to 148x3x5

Deadlift
135x1x5
225x1x5
275x1x5

Felt pretty tough, minor SI joint pain on reps 1-2, gone by rep 3 and back actually felt pretty good after.

-----------------------------------

The downside to the hook grip: went to pick up my laptop by the screen in a pinch grip and the damn screen cracked. Thats gonna cost me.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #40
Kevin Shaughnessy

Wednesday June 30th

Squat
45x1x10
120x1x5
145x1x5
175x1x3
230x1x5
230x1x1

First rep was hard enough to leave no question I wasn't
getting another without my form going to shit, so I didn't risk

it.

Press
45x1x10
65x1x5
85x1x5
117x1x4
117x2x5

Increasing pain in left rear delt. Second set didn't hurt quite as much. First set must have been a technique issue. To repeat next workout or to add 1 pound, I'll think about that for monday.

Power Clean
95x1x3
120x1x3
145x5x3

Fuck, thought the reset was to 145. Oh well. First set went fine. Felt good to be racking it with minimal knee bend, felt like a real power clean again. Second set accidentaly turned the third rep into a high pull, repeated and got it nice and high. Third set went fine. Fourth set, first rep got very close to racking, but not quite and I had to drop it while swearing from the pain in my wrists. Counted it anyway, was close enough. Fifth set went alright, 1 and 3 might have racked a little lower then my ego would like.

---------------------

So it seems I've stalled on most my lifts, and regressed a little on the squat. Per PP I should take an intensive squat deload, which I shall. My left knee is also beginning to feel actually injured. Pain while walking, jumping, and squatting. The light weight and focus on form should do me good.

So why have I stalled? I believe its the decrease in calories. In an effort to shrink the gut I've cut down to about 3000 a day and that I guess just isnt enough to sustain progress. So what am I to do? I can keep eating and keep getting fatter and not like the way I look more and more, or I can cut, get leaner, try to hold on to as much strength as possible, and then resume bulking when my gut has shrunk. I like the second idea better lol.

The knee and delt pain is a mystery. I realized today that it could be my lateral miniscus, or my left IT band at its insertion near the knee. It might be that I'm underestimating just how much I need to shove my knees out.

For the delt, I put it against a ball on the sliding adjustable power rack hooks and squeezed like crazy and it seems to have helped quite a bit. Found just the right spot. Its something until I find out what the issue is. Hell maybe thats what the issue actually is.

Considering recovery is now becoming an issue I think I'll switch to the advanced novice program.

I'm also tired of working out alone in my garage, going to get a gym membership at the local Monster. They have bumper plates I'm told.. And there open 24/7 so if I'm busy or lazy one day I can go at 12 and still make all the noise I damn well please, which at home would result in death by strangling from my 'rents.