Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-08-2011, 02:42 AM   #401
Kevin Shaughnessy

Saturday October 8th

Press
45x10
75x5
95x5
115x3
147.5x4

Looks like it will be three weeks before I hit all 5 reps. I'm not too sad. I guess I've reached a place where I have some basic level of satisfaction with my lifts to the point where waiting an extra week or 3 is no big deal.

I've gotten the opportunity to be trained by an accomplished middle distance runner, and so starting next week (probably) I'm going to be training for a better 5k time on squat days, and the day after deadlift days. I'm not looking forward to it as I get no joy from running but I want that athleticism. I'll be doing squats on friday and deadlifts on monday now.
Kevin Shaughnessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #402
Kevin Shaughnessy

Monday October 10th

Front Squats
45x10
95x5
135x5
185x3
205x2
247.5x3x3

Warm up sets felt light and I only felt the need to rest about 3:30 but the last rep last set almost stopped moving halfway up.

Deadlift From Rack - Touch and Go
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x3
320x5
360x3
400x10

Wore the thick belt today, fucked with my back position but I think its an even trade for more weight, plus my lower back is strong relative to what I can lift anyway. This will necessitate a bigger jump next cycle, I'll pick a max that has me doing 420x1+. This wasn't all out, which is cool. Maybe I'll even get 420x10 in 3 weeks, that would be awesome. Hell 6 weeks ago I did 315x10 so who knows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO7fOxnCEXE

Went to a local mountain after lifting. TONS of stones of all shapes and sizes. Problem was I was pretty wasted from the workout and couldn't lift much. Looked like a wuss. It kind of sucks that with the way my workouts are scheduled, there really isn't any good day to lift stones at full capacity.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:44 AM   #403
Kevin Shaughnessy

Tuesday October 11th

Bench Press - TnG
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x5
165x3
185x2
220x5

Was tough but I think I have 5 more pounds in me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVPPVvhkr8g

Lying Tricep Extension
50x3x20

Triceps were still burning after 2 minutes rest after the second set so I rested 3. Tough. I think I might have done 25 on the first set.

BB Row
135x5
175x5
205x2x5
205x15

Hardly strict.

DB Curl
56x2x8 R
56x1x6 L

Cut it short because they're practically DB cleans at this point. I really prefer barbell curls... I think what I'll do is cut back the DB weight, and perform them against the wall.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:36 AM   #404
Kevin Shaughnessy

It occured to me how pronounced my weakness is deadlifting from a dead stop. Since squats did alot for my deadlift with a stretch reflex, I'll try pause squats after the next 5/3/1 cycle (I'll be testing my 1RM from the floor then). I've also found that I can do GMings up to 225 for reps without huge difficulty but when I try to perform them from the pins 135 feels like alot. Got to rectify that. The obvious solution would be to just pull deadlifts from a deadstop but I don't want to put my lower back through more than I have to.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #405
Eduardo Chile

Just a note on the deadlift. I've found it needs a descent amount of practice to get good at, and form tends to break down at heavier weight. I think doing deadlifts from a dead stop would be good for you.

I think there is some carryover between the squat and deadlift, but once your strength get higher and higher the less you will find this carryover. Hip angle, foot positioning, etc are different.

Btw, your squat has come up nicely. It'll be interesting to see as you transition into lower reps to see what you max out. I think you've built a good base with the higher reps.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #406
Kevin Shaughnessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Chile View Post
Just a note on the deadlift. I've found it needs a descent amount of practice to get good at, and form tends to break down at heavier weight. I think doing deadlifts from a dead stop would be good for you.

I think there is some carryover between the squat and deadlift, but once your strength get higher and higher the less you will find this carryover. Hip angle, foot positioning, etc are different.

Btw, your squat has come up nicely. It'll be interesting to see as you transition into lower reps to see what you max out. I think you've built a good base with the higher reps.
Dead stop deadlifts would be ideal, but every time I include them in my program my lower back starts to get pretty fucked up, to the point where I cant squat or deadlift for a time. Something about including the stretch reflex makes it alot easier on my spine.

I'm going to be testing my squat/bench/deadlift 1RM sometime early November at a seminar at Montreal Barbell. I'm letting my hopes get a little high that with some solid technique pointers I might be able to hit some tasty numbers. Deadlifting 500 raw would be awesome as fuck, but I'd accept 470. Squat will probably be done in single ply + wraps so maybe I can hit 500-550.

Thursday October 13th

Bench Press - TnG
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x5
170x3
202.5x4x5

Cut it one set short because the last rep of set 4 was sllooww. Because of the schedule change I did this workout only 48 hours after intensity day, which may have contributed to the difficulty. I'm okay with stalling though, I'm ready for a new program. What I'm thinking I'll do is 5/3/1 thing, with a bench day and a press day, but have push presses done as assistance on bench day, and close grip benching done as assistance on press day. Then throw in some tricep, bicep, and back work at the end of each workout. Superset tri's and bi's.

Actually, first I'll do smolov jr after this week.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #407
Eduardo Chile

I would hesitate to discard an exercise like that unless you have a physical issue. Chances are if you can squat you can deadlift without issues. You should videotape yourself and see if your lower back is rounding too much. The issue could be tight hamstrings too. Plus, it doesn't seem you do them with regularity so that could magnify the problem. Just food for thought.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #408
Kevin Shaughnessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Chile View Post
I would hesitate to discard an exercise like that unless you have a physical issue. Chances are if you can squat you can deadlift without issues. You should videotape yourself and see if your lower back is rounding too much. The issue could be tight hamstrings too. Plus, it doesn't seem you do them with regularity so that could magnify the problem. Just food for thought.
Noted, thanks.

Friday October 14th

Squat
45x5
95x5
135x5
185x5
225x3
300x5
340x3
380x6

Could I have done a seventh rep? Will I forever be haunted by "the rep that got away"? Would have been great to try, because if I got 7 today I would of jumped to 400x1+ next cycle. Ah well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH35cOFpKks

Wide Stance Box Squats
225x10

Pretty easy.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #409
Kevin Shaughnessy

Saturday October 15th

Press
45x10
75x5
95x5
115x3
147.5x4

Alright, it doesn't seem this works anymore. Lets see what happens to my press after a smolov jr bench cycle.

BB Row
135x5
175x5
215x2x5
215x12

Focused more on using the arms at first than usual, but the last 3-4 reps were pretty cheaty.

Weight is 247. I seem to be stagnating, which is nice.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #410
Kevin Shaughnessy

Monday October 17th

Front Squats
45x10
95x5
135x5
185x3
215x2
250x3x3

Rested 5 minutes between sets instead of 3 and it made a big difference. Last set was not nearly as grindy as the previous workouts.

Deadlift From Rack - Touch and Go
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x3
320x5
370x5
420x10

Wow, was actually very easy. I'm just going to move up to 440x10 next week instead of continuing this cycle. Would like to think this means a big increase from off the floor poundages but theres a good chance it really doesn't. I guess I'll see come november. Thumbs are massacred.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QswS0aV71BY