Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-26-2010, 01:15 AM   #11
matthew brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fenner View Post
These are all great questions. I'd also like to know what your real age is, your training age (years of serious training without more than a month off), and if you've ever done anything that would have made you strong without weights (heavy labor, wrestling, etc.). I think all these additional questions drastically affect the Practical Programming "novice, beginner, intermediate" programming ideas and the tolerance of the trainees for different programming schemes.

Oh, where was the relative intensity article you mentioned?

Best,
Mark
Hi Mark
im about to turn 31 and im a Taurus who likes .......... sorry wrong forum
ive trained with weights to some degree since i was 15, i started when i was playing football (soccer) with a typical health club machine based circuit,
At 19 discovered the world of spit and sawdust training with an aim to get HUGE!!! With single part body splits, high volume drop sets forced reps etc.
I Just copied what the big lads were doing and tried to put lots of weight on the bar and lift it lots, worked ok but i didn't have the decca or sus to help out, and did very little conditioning at this time bar 2 - 3 nights a week of goshin ryu ju jitsu under Steve Barnett, and working as a nightclub doorman.

About 4 years ago i left the weights for about 12 months to concentrate on my fitness for the FF entry tests and the biggest thing i picked up were 10kg dumb ells in circuits.

only came back to lifting when i trained at CF Manchester and they made me start again.

I found the article in the Performance menu journal shop its written by pierre Auge

Matt
matthew brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:18 AM   #12
Alex Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Something like what Julius wrote up would be good
Agreed. I think there are actually lots of people out there on 5/3/1 who could make faster progress while maintaining conditioning on this sort of program.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:30 AM   #13
matthew brewster

Hi Julius
Thank you for that.
I like the look of that programme, still gives me 4 days to work on conditioning, the only fear i have is that as someone returning to training is two lifts a day plus metcon too much ? or am i being soft ?

As i have little clue as we have discovered with programming metcons, (im learning as quick as i can, there is just so much noise out there) how harmful is cherry picking anything i like the look of from Cf, ross training, pm menu, cosgrove etc ?

matt
matthew brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:14 AM   #14
Steven Low
Super Moderator

If you're worried then keep the volume lower for the work sets to like 1x5 each lift, and keep the metabolic work 5 minutes or shorter until you get up to speed.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:45 AM   #15
Jay Ashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bond View Post
Agreed. I think there are actually lots of people out there on 5/3/1 who could make faster progress while maintaining conditioning on this sort of program.
yes indeed, I'm one case of that. I can tell you that the 5/3/1 program is fantastic to use with conditioning.... as long as you are smart about it and don't get wrapped up in the metcon game.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #16
Mark Fenner

My only slight difference with Julius' suggestion would be to move the Saturday Pwr Cleans to Friday (so Friday is Chins/Pwr Cleans/Metcon) and take Saturday + Sunday off. I like rest days.

Keep your form in check and if an exercise becomes a real struggle, reduce it by 10-15 pounds next work out and start up again. I'd also say commit yourself to it (or any sensible program) for 8 weeks (maybe with lighter week around week 4 ... maybe just do two or the four days, drop the DL and PwrCl days).

Of course, personally, I'd love to see how the high frequency approach treated your for 6-8 weeks. But, it is probably better advice to follow Julius' suggestions.

Best,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #17
Dave Van Skike

the chief shortcoming of 531 (lack of frequency on the squat and press) can be solved by doing overhead assit (5 sets of 10 light) after the bench work and light bench as assitence on the overhead press day.

same with squat. do your Squat assist on DL day and vice versa. frequency problem solved, recovery good, fewer assistance movements is better 80% of the time.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #18
Mark Fenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
the chief shortcoming of 531 (lack of frequency on the squat and press) can be solved by doing overhead assit (5 sets of 10 light) after the bench work and light bench as assitence on the overhead press day.

same with squat. do your Squat assist on DL day and vice versa. frequency problem solved, recovery good, fewer assistance movements is better 80% of the time.
I thought about this "swapped" version of Boring But Big also, but I didn't try it. Did you happen to give it a go yourself?

Best,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
Dave Van Skike

yup. i did back squats and the RDLs for 3 set sof 8

DL then front squats, timed 10 sets of 3.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
Justin Algera

Ive been doing what Dave suggests for about 6 months now (as has my wife) and its been working great for us... One issue was that after a while, the BBB squats done after the squat sets become murder and tough to recover from. But throwing them in either as a warm-up to the Deadlift or afterwards has been key for me. I have also played around recently with speed work with bands as well as box squats to see how they play out. Not sure how it will work on my squat as I dont lift in gear, but what the hell.
Justin Algera is offline   Reply With Quote