Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-18-2010, 01:38 AM   #21
Rick Deckart
Banned

Default no way

and just to make this clear once and forever:

i do not intend to make a single penny out of it!
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:16 AM   #22
Mark Fenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Puetz View Post
You just earned a free hoodie plus three t-shirts, what size? And thanks for TBS!
I'm very flattered. For the hoodie, large. For the t-shirts, medium or large (are the t-shirts for around town or for in the gym?).

I'll be doing a run through of either the break-in followed by Mark II (love the names, by the way), or just Mark II. I've been doing half-Smolov weeks for the last three weeks so I feel mostly ok going straight to Mark II. Then, a week off over Thanksgiving. And then, another 3 week block.

Best,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #23
Rick Deckart
Banned

What is your max? If you consider yourself intermediäre you don't skip the Intro and Chose MarkIII...
Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #24
Rick Deckart
Banned

Mark ii = Novize, Elite
Mark III = intermediäre
Mark i = Elite Elite
Old 11-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #25
Mark Fenner

Default November Update and Plans

So, I'm one week into a TBS (The Brothers Smolov) style lifting cycle. I'm basing off SQ: 300 and BP: 210. I'm planning on a x%, x+5%, x+7.25% progression week to week. Both "maxes" have been higher within the last year (during heavy Winter/Spring training), but I looked over the workload to plug in sane numbers, for me, for right now. I quite guilty of not doing the break-in. Oh well. If I wait to do the break in, I won't have three uninterrupted weeks until after New Years. I have, however, done several Smolov-style days over the last months.

For SQ (intermingled with heavy mountain biking):
Oct. 12: 7 of 5 @ 225.
Oct. 15: 10 of 3 @ 245.
Oct. 19: Heavy 5 (255)
Oct. 26: Heavy 3 (295)
Oct. 29: Weak 2 @ 275

My weights for Week I looked like (SQ/BP): (210/145), (225/155), (240/165), (255/175). With training on M, Tu, Th, Fr.

M-W I felt really good. The 5x5 on Th started to take a toll. Fr was a hard session to complete in some ways, but not in others. Part of it was shoulder related. Most of it was general "systemic" fatigue. All the reps went up. Not necessarily with ease, but they went up. Non were gut busters. Actually, some of the early sets were harder than the later sets. I found this in my previous Pavel-Smolov dealings. My best sets are generally around 2/3 of the way through the set count.

My shoulder (darn it) has been acting up again. It is pretty well isolated to a VERY GRUMPY infraspinatus and teres minor. Of course, there are pinball effects. I'm working with an ART/Chiro to hopefully get it under control. Literally, the pain is between squat sets. Not during. Bench is ok: I have some fear on the first rep b/c the shoulder is fired up, but after I get it stable and go, it feels fine. Oh well. I've added ext. rot. exercises and rows; I've dropped pull ups for now. I wouldn't have done many pull/chin ups with the Smolov style workload anyway.

I've scaled back my Mobility WOD following. There just aren't enough hours in the week. However, I've kept some things that I feel are helpful (as opposed to following the "general" MobWOD). Some ball/foam rolling, some band distracted stretches, and some regular stretches. Today (Saturday), I squirreled in an hour of mobility stuff (I did the next five episodes from my running list). I can't really emphasize how good the "light stress" (eustress) of the mobility work is for my physical (muscular and neural) and mental (various) recovery.

Oh, and my appetite has gone off the charts.

Best,
Mark
Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #26
Rick Deckart
Banned

very good, keep notes and please write a detailed report for me, currently working on four articles... if you don't mind you report will be another piece of the big puzzle!
Old 11-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #27
Mark Fenner

Another week, another $. Or not.

The shoulder was the main problem this week. The good news is that the pain is in a different area (anterior). The bad news is that it isn't a lot less painful. M was ok, Tu was very bad, Th was ok-ish, Fri was bad. However, the pain is far more limited to the duration of my workouts. I'm doing some basic shoulder stuff (Y-T-P) + side ext. rotation and it seems to pump the shoulder up and calm it down. I've also been icing.

Enough about that. When you are doing something in the Smolov (or Sheiko) category of training, you have to decide what level of dings, pains, and possibly injuries, you will tolerate. If you are below threshold, you keep going. I think there's actually a place for lumping on enough volume that you expose your structural weaknesses ... and then you address them when you're done with the short, intense overload phase.

Again, the 5s are just really, really tough. I definitely lost my back position on one of the 5ers and paid for it a bit. But, nothing drastic. There's a very real possibility I mis-loaded my 7s weight on Tuesday. It was one of those later-in-the-day I thought: gee, when I cleaned up the weights and got my station set up ... I only grabbed one set of 5s. So, that means I must have used 10s for the SQs. But that means ... oh man, that's why they were so hard.

I don't recommend mis-loading on a Smolov-like plan.

If I didn't mis-load, my weights for Week II looked like (SQ/BP): (225/155), (240*/165), (255/175), (270/185). The 240 might have been 250. It did feel particularly hard. Again, I trained on M, Tu, Th, Fr.

Looking towards next week (week 3), my increment is supposed to be an additional 2.5%. That's easy on a 200-ish max: 5lbs = 2.5 x 2. On 300, without access to my mini plates, I'm stuck deciding whether to go up 5 pounds or 10 pounds (the math says, 7.5 pounds). I'm leaning towards +10. I'm also considering a "week" that looks like M-Tu-Fri-M with the 2nd Monday in the following calendar week. That gives me more rest before the 5s and more rest after the 5s. It also fills in the holiday and moving gap of what to do around Thanksgiving (assuming I'll be completely off Thur-Sun): a nice workout on Monday and then ... recovery with turkey, wine, etc.

Best,
Mark
Old 11-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #28
Mark Fenner

(I'm writing this on Friday, technically the last workout will be Monday. But, baring grave misfortune, things should go as planned.)

So, I am currently completing a round of Puetz-Smolov (Mark II: the week-to-week progression is x% -> x+5% -> x+7.5%). Base xs are 70, 75, 80, 85 for 3 of 9, 4 of 7, 5 of 5, and 6 of 3. You can find the spreadsheets by googling for "The Brothers Smolov".

*Schedule*

My original schedule was M-Tu-Th-Fri. I maintained that in Week I and Week II. For Week III, I modified this to M-Tu-Fri-M. I'll discuss it below.

Week IV is supposed to be something like rest then 1RM on Thu and 1RM on Fri. I'm not pseudo-maxing on Thanksgiving. Sorry. I think what will happen is a gentle max on Fri (at a gym on the road, not sure if I'll have access) and then do heavy singles on the following M-Tu.

I ended up "rouding up" for my Week III squats. And, I bumped my last two BPs by 5 pounds.

*Impressions*

Like Pavel-Smolov, Week I felt easy and I threw in some extra stuff here and there. Mostly some rows to help with shoulder support. Later, the shoulder support came mainly from YTP and external rotations. The shoulder held together, but there were some days that were real gritty. Week II Tu in particular the shoulder was on fire. It always felt ok while squatting and after the first rep of bp, but between was not pretty. And the 1st bp rep frequently had me questioning my sanity in not stopping: but, after rep 1 things were generally ok ... the problem was rogue pain, not structural failure. Starting in Week I, I was also under the care of a D.C. + ART practitioner. (highly recommended)

I'm going to run the numbers on Pavel-Smolov versus Puetz-Smolov (as performed) to get some idea of relative intensity and volume. However, I feel -better- systemically now then I did in the Spring (w/ Pavel-Smolov). This is somewhat surpring to me b/c the Pavel-Smolov is a bit more drawn out and should give more recovery time. As I mentioned above though, the shoulder gave me much more trouble this time around. My left hip got frisky, as well. But some of both hip and shoulder can be attributed to sleeping on the floor right now (only for 1 more week!).

I decided to split the final week's Th-Fri (5s and 3s) with a break over the weekend. 5s have a special effect in this program. They are probably 1.5 to 2x as hard as the 9s and 3s day. 7s day can come close to the 5s (some weeks). But, since 5s are -killer-, it makes sense to get an extra day of rest before and take a day or two after. However, you can't do it every week, or all of a sudden you have a six or eight week program. So, just doing it the last week gives you some room to "go for it" (round up 5 or 10 pounds) on the 5s and 3s days. [Note, if you were doing it as suggested by DrPP, you would be going M-Tu-Thu-Sat, I think. Which has benefits. Unless you don't train on the weekend.]

I made good use of MobWOD education in several instances: particularly with knee "hot spots", I was able to create some slack from the hip, ham, quad, calf to relieve some pressure (both through improved positioning -- mainly keeping the left hip sitting back -- and increased slack). Working hip flexion + internal rotation became a standard warm up piece. I developed a distinct tightness on the left side, so I did "up pigeons" twice on the left and once on the right. It helped a lot in Week II, a bit in Week III.

I got away from my Pavel-Smolov warmup (somewhat b/c I was much more focused on keeping my shoulder together). I think I missed the hip flexor stretching, planking, and goblet squats most. My shoulder preparation revolved around pec, trap, int. rot. stretching; halos, band pull aparts, band poor man, and fr/bk serratus raises for mobility and activation. I included some band distraction work early, but I started to feel it was moving the shoulder too much out of its groove before I put it under increasing stress. Regardless of it being in a "better" position (potentially), the problem was that it was in a position that I was -less adapted to-. So, in my prep work, I balancing keeping my groove "same, but improved" -- and not, completely different.

A last bit of comparison. In the Spring, I did six weeks of Pavel-Smolov and, a few weeks later, I did a two week "mini Pavel-Smolov block" of four workout in the traditional Smolov scheme. The weights I used then were (sq/bp): (225/155), (240,165), (255,175), (275,185). My Week III for Puetz-Smolov had weights of: (235/160), (250/170), (265,185), [predicted: (285,195)]. The first workload has about 33% more lifts and is over 10 or 11 days. The second workload is over 8 days. The first workload was enough to have me write "Uncle" in my book. I think the second will leave me far fresher. After the Spring "mini block", I hit some nice PRs 10 days later (345/215).

I'm planning on gradually working up to new PRs between now and Christmas. I'll see where working up to singles puts me at the end of next week. I imagine I'll be able to add a bit to those singles over three or so weeks. I also (desperately) need to get more variety in my program: I neglected DLs and upper body pulling and OH pressing. I definitely need to reincorporate those -- at least at a "doing them" level (3 of 8 for the upper stuff; speed deads for DLs?).

Best,
Mark

Excessive Detail Follows:

*Weights, Rests, and Auxilliary Work*

(x/y) SQ wgt, BP wgt
lazy rest: beep and then go
strict rest: setup as beeps
wu sq, bp: # of wu sets
aux: ser -> side-lying external rotation

Week I: Oct 31-
M: wu: shoulder, 2 sq, 3 bp (:30)
work: 3 of 9 @ (210/145), lazy 3 (:30)
aux: DB rows, YT, bat-wing

Tu: wu: shoulder, 3 sq, 3bp (:25)
work: 4 of 7 @ (255, 155), strict 4, (:43)
aux: :30 walk, maxercist row/press, raises, etc.

Th: wu: shoulder, 4 sq, 4 bp (:36)
work: 5 of 5 @ (240/ 165), strict 4 (:55)
aux: YT, batwing, ser

Fr: wu: shoulder, 4sq, 4bp (:35)
work: 6 of 3 @ (255/175), lazy 3 rst? (:55)
aux: ser, 1-rows, poor man

Sa: lotsa MobWOD

Week II: Nov. 7-
Su: light hike, rolling, poor man
M: wu: shoulder, 3 sq, 3 bp (:24)
work: 3 of 9 @ (225/155), 3,3,4,... rst (:32)
aux: YTP, ser, :30 walk, roll, rows

Tu: wu: shoulder, 4 sq, 3 bp (:29)
work: 4 of 7 @ (240, 165), strict 4 (:40)
aux: <nada>
* rough shoulder

Th: wu: shoulder, 5 sq, 5 bp (:27)
work: 5 of 5 @ (255/ 175), lazy 4 (1:00)
aux: YTP, ser

Fr: wu: shoulder, 5sq, 5bp (:35)
work: 6 of 3 @ (270/185), lazy 3 (1:00)
Sa: MobWOD work (specific to my needs)

overall shoulder: M: ok+, T: v bad, Th: ok, F: bad

Week III: Nov. 14-
M: wu: shoulder, 4 sq, 4 bp (:36)
work: 3 of 9 @ (235/160), rst: 3,3,3,3,5,5 (:40)
aux: YTP, ser, :30 walk, roll, rows

Tu: wu: shoulder, 4 sq, 4 bp (:36)
work: 4 of 7 @ (250/175), lazy 5 (1:03 w/ phone call)

We: few pushups + planks, KB press, MobWod

Fr: wu: shoulder, 5 sq, 5 bp (:42)
work: 5 of 5 @ (265/ *185), lazy 4 (1:11) *wgt jump +10 instead of +5

overall shoulder: M: ok+ tight later,
Tu: ok,
Fri: stiff before, ok+ later

[hypothetical]
M: wu: ()
work: 6 of 3 @ (285/195), () +15/+10 instead of +10/+5
aux:
Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #29
Mark Fenner

So,

I'm currently in "hurry up and wait" mode on the closing of our house and moving stuff around. I didn't mention it above, but last week had a 10/10 stress factor. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm going to skip the details, but when you work with financial people, keep them on a very short leash.

So, I'm going to lose my Internet connection in a bit, for a bit. But, I wanted to throw out a few thoughts on health (Dan John taught a lot of us the concept of health and fitness -- well-being and specific preparedness).

If you are unhealthy (you hurt) you have a few options: (1) "suck it up" and keep going, (2) quit, (3) address it. With 1 and 2, you will eventually stop doing things. So, we're left with addressing it.

Many of us are a mess. I'm mid-30s. I grew up with a good bit of "play" in my life, but I lost a lot of it in high school to video games and TV. Dumb me, my parents should have encouraged me more, etc. That ship has sailed. I'm still better off than many of our youth will be in 20 years.

Some of my friends in their 40s, 50s, and 60s are hurting for other reasons. They played a lot while young. But, they also moved into the "suck it up" mindset and pushed it until and beyond the point of breaking: shoulders, knees, hips.

I think some us now see a different path we want to follow: we want to get "awesome". But, we want to be healthy and we want to be health 20-30-50 years down the path. We want to use our fitness with our grandkids. We want long-term health and we want to build fitness.

Looks like the guy is here to steal my cable modem. Talk to you soon.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #30
Mark Fenner

Not an exciting update. I can never remember where I put this, so I'm putting it here. Basic public health, physical activity guidelines:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/repr...AHA.107.185649
http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/...es/adults.html

Summary:

150 min moderate -or- 75 min vigorous activity per week. Mix and match. Double it for increased benefits.