Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 05-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Matthew Schussler

Default Programming for Firefighter Test

I have been doing Crossfit for about 4 years but am new to this forum. I've been training for the last 6 months for my Firefighter Test and am looking for advice on ramping up to a peak in 4-6 weeks. I scored a fast enough time on our 1st practice run to get 100% but would like to knock a little time off in case somthing goes wrong (like I trip). The test consists of a tower climb w/ HRP, hose drag, dummy drag, fan carry, and Keiser sled. All done in 50 lbs gear. Right now I'm running steps twice a week, sledge work once a week, and the rest focusing on strength and metcon work. I use either a 3/1/21 schedule or 2/1/2/2 with 2-a-days on Mon and Fri. Any help/advice is very much appreciated. I'm not used to training for a peak at a certain time. I have 1 more practice run in 2 1/2 wks and my final test will be one of the 1st 3 weeks in June.
Matthew Schussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Program your stuff to simulate what the events are like more...

Other than that, you probably don't need much honestly. You already have 100% so if you don't overreach going into it then you'll be fine.

If you really want to taper then spread out about 2-4 rest days the week of the testing, with 2 right before the event.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Take 2-3 days off before the test. You'll be fine. The test really only weeds out the really unfit folks anyway.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:35 AM   #4
James Evans

Of interest may be this vid of the Auckland Blues (Rugby Union) in pre-season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVZNpYwtir0
Old 05-07-2010, 05:44 AM   #5
Matthew Schussler

Thanks for the responses and support guys! James, the workout The Blues are doing looks kind of like the homemade course I made at my house that I've been trying to run once a week. They look a lot tougher than me. I'm trying to do sports specific stuff as much as possible with my homemade equipment but I'm wondering if I should also be mixing in ME lifting days and monostructural element days or if I should just focus on training for the events in my test. Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Matt,
I did CF for several months before my FF test years ago, scaled down most of the time. First time I think I got around 10 minutes (with a mild head cold), second time around I got around 8 minutes...if my memory serves me correctly. I did NO event-specific training. In fact, when they took my HR very soon after finishing, the guy was amazed that I was only at like 120bpm.

Just remember, the test is a pass/fail. If you already passed it and are now in better shape, you have nothing to worry about.

Worst thing you could do is train hard metcon stuff right up until the day of the event.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
Justin Arnold

We've been doing mock agility tests for the past 2 months leading up to finishing fire school, and I've crushed a couple for local departments recently. Honestly, with 4 years of crossfit under your belt, if you aren't completely out of shape you should be fine as long as you rest well before the test AND aren't chronically overtrained.

On certain parts of the tests, you'd really benefit from specific training. The Keiser sled (if they have one), and the dummy drag come to mind. Both are events where proper technique can go a LONG way toward reducing your overall time. One local department has a max of 22 strikes on the Kesier or you fail. A strong person that has never had practice could easily fail on that alone. On the dummy drag, finding out beforehand if you are allowed to use an extremity drag could allow you to make up a large amount of time. If not, just sorting out your technique can help a lot... but being prepared for and having practiced BOTH options before test day is by far the best way to go.

-Justin
Justin Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
Adam Gagliardi

When I did mine (cpat, your sounds slightly different), I just did medleys of the events after training. These tests are not hard, especially considering the training you have already done. relax, knock it out, get hired, enjoy the job.
Adam Gagliardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #9
Matthew Schussler

Passed my test with 100% by 13 seconds. Now I'm just on the list and gotta wait for my number to come up. Hopefully not too long!