Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #21
Derek Weaver

Weak joints? Or lack of stability? Weakness in the muscles and other tissues around the joint is possible.

Seriously, I would spend some time working fairly light (maybe 10 rm loads) and warm up with lifts that emphasize stability through the torso (also called midline stability in CF terms) like the overhead squat. Only once you're fairly certain you're flexible, mobile and stabile enough with a broom stick.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:48 AM   #22
Chris Butler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaughnessy View Post
As for why I tweak my back easily, I have theories. Basically I battered my lower back doing terrible form squats and deadlifts trying to do SS a couple years ago that I never properly rehabbing until recently. So I think my problem is weak joints.
Kevin, Have you been checked for an upslip? The pelvis can easily shift/rotate and quadratus lumborum will splint from shortening and hold it there. The hamstrings will lengthen to accommodate. The easiest way to tell is to lay prone and have someone put their thumbs on your ischial tuberosity on both side and see if their thumbs line up. You can also lay supine and have someone see if your heels line up.
Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:12 AM   #23
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Would be a good idea to get a full lower body evaluation by a good chiro or PT.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #24
Júlíus G. Magnússon

Quote:
I'm dropping deadlifts from my routine as its probably not a good idea for me to be doing them right now back health wise. I already do power cleans and plan to add power snatches to my routine, but need a slow lift for my back. The thing is though, I'm absolutely bored of pull ups, and arent interested in rows.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Done properly, deadlifts are actually a great idea, back health wise.

(Didn't read the whole thread and this has probably been said before but it's worth saying again.)

Edit: Unless there is already a problem with your back that you are aware of, in which case cleans and snatches are just as stupid (or more so) than deadlifts.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #25
Gary John

Try trap bar deads. You move serious weight and the position change might help.
Gary John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #26
Harry Munro

Lighter deadlifts emphasising perfect form.

Kettlebell swings.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #27
Kevin Shaughnessy

OK, so it's been established. I can deadlift fine so long as I dont lose a hint of extension. And by a hint I mean, if you saw a video of me performing the lift you wouldn't be able to tell I had lost any but there would be pain. That doesn't sound normal to me. Might anyone know what could cause that? I'm going to visit a chiro as soon as I can afford it.
Kevin Shaughnessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #28
Dave Van Skike

no. it does not sound normal. some amount of deviation from perfect form must be possible without injury.

possibilities:

1) you are extremely weak in the Dead and need to massively retune your expectations about weight selection.

2) you are injured

3) all of the above.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #29
Derek Weaver

Quote:
OK, so it's been established. I can deadlift fine so long as I dont lose a hint of extension. And by a hint I mean, if you saw a video of me performing the lift you wouldn't be able to tell I had lost any but there would be pain. That doesn't sound normal to me. Might anyone know what could cause that? I'm going to visit a chiro as soon as I can afford it.
Like Dave said, something is likely very wrong. Perfect form is important but a slight deviation shouldn't injure you. If this is the case, you've already got a chronic problem that likely will require some sort of professional intervention to correct.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:08 AM   #30
Chance Adams

I had a very similar problem to the OP. Deadlifts and heavy cleans would leave my lower back (SI area) wrecked for several days. After consulting a PT, he said one side of my SI joints had "slipped" out of place, causing the pain my lower back/hips. He put them in place and told me I could do it myself by laying on my back, knees bent, and squeezing a basketball (or something similar) between my knees as hard as I can. I guess that pulls on and aligns the SI joints. Anyway, I did that through February and upped my fish oil dosages and haven't had any problems since.

Hope this helps.
Chance Adams is offline   Reply With Quote