Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
Matt Edwards

Default Upper body push for a weightlifter

I've been going through some programming changes and need to have an upper body push exercise. My upper body has always been fairly weak compared to the rest of my body (I was able to snatch more than I could bench before I started adding in straight upper body work). Obviously, I have my exercise selection narrowed down to Standing Press vs Bench Press. I'm not able to perform both in the program because my upper body recovers too quick to perform 1 day of each per week and progress in both. The exercise I chose will be performed twice a week if that helps. As of right now I'm leaning towards the Press for the mere fact of the direct correlation to overhead support.

Press:
Advantagious in that it is in the same plane of motion as the jerk, thus has a more direct carry-over. The added shoulder strength directly correlates to receiving position strength in the jerk. However, lighter loads have to be used in relation to the bench press because of the nature of the lifts.

Bench Press:
Advantagious in that you can use heavier loads to create a stronger stimulus in the lock out abilities for the jerk. It is in a different plane of motion so you wouldn't have to worry about over-working that vertical motion. Plus, the stronger chest can help with maintaining a tight upper body once my jerk weights increase.
Matt Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

I'd go with press... more applicable to stuff plus you don't really need a spotter.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

I don't remember who it was, but I saw recently where the bench was mentioned as the squat for the upper body.

If you've got a serious strength deficiency in the upper body, I'd bench, but keep an eye on scap mobiilty/stability flexibility of the pecs, shoulders etc.

On the other side of the coin, look to the overhead press/push press thread discussing pressing. High frequency going overhead is the key. If you're just lacking in general with your upper body, then working on overall upperbody strength, including pulls, horizontal and vertical should be the focus. If you are okay with overall strength but suck specifically going overhead, well... go overhead, and often.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Matt Edwards

Thanks guys. Think I'll go with the Press because of carry-over, functionality, and the added core work. Since I'm in college, the Bench Press around here is more of a macho lift and I'd rather not get associated with that population lol.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Edwards View Post
Thanks guys. Think I'll go with the Press because of carry-over, functionality, and the added core work. Since I'm in college, the Bench Press around here is more of a macho lift and I'd rather not get associated with that population lol.
why the artificial constraint? bench helps overhead, overhead helps bench.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
glennpendlay

Quote:
I'm not able to perform both in the program because my upper body recovers too quick to perform 1 day of each per week and progress in both. The exercise I chose will be performed twice a week if that helps.
this doesnt make any sense to me.

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
Matt Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
this doesnt make any sense to me.

glenn
It does sound a little confusing after re-reading it. It's meant to read that if I was to incorporate both, one would be performed Tuesday for example and the other on Friday. When I've tried doing this in the past, neither has progressed and eventually regressed a little. For me, I've noticed I have to perform the same movement at least twice a week to move forward with it. For reference, I can post how I'm thinking about laying out my week:

Option A

Monday
Cleans + Jerk (heavy)
Snatch (technique work; singles on minute)

Tuesday
Back Squat
Clean DLs to Knee superset with Clean High Pulls from Blocks
Upper Body push
Weighted Chin/Pull-ups

Thursday
Snatch (heavy)
Clean + Jerk (technique work; singles on 1.5 minute)

Friday
Front Squat
Snatch DLs to Knee superset with Snatch High Pulls from Blocks
Upper Body push
Weighted Chin/Pull-ups

Option B

Monday
Cleans + Jerk
Snatch DLs to Knee superset with Snatch High Pulls from Blocks

Tuesday
Back Squat
Upper Body push
Weighted Chin/Pull-ups

Thursday
Snatch
Clean DLs to Knee superset with Clean High Pulls from Blocks

Friday
Front Squat
Upper Body push
Weighted Chin/Pull-ups

Reasoning for the DLs to Knee are because at my last meet, everyone noticed my lower back tightness broke once I left contact with the floor on the first pull which caused me to come up on the balls of my feet.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
Alex Bond

Quote:
Since I'm in college, the Bench Press around here is more of a macho lift and I'd rather not get associated with that population lol.
This is a really silly reason not to do an exercise. If the press will help you more than the bench, then press, but don't do it because you think that guys who bench are unfunctional meatheads. I avoided the bench for a while because I drank the "functional" kool-aid and I am glad I thought things over and re-introduced the bench.

Chigishev benching 225kg
Old 05-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
Matt Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bond View Post
This is a really silly reason not to do an exercise. If the press will help you more than the bench, then press, but don't do it because you think that guys who bench are unfunctional meatheads. I avoided the bench for a while because I drank the "functional" kool-aid and I am glad I thought things over and re-introduced the bench.

Chigishev benching 225kg
Yeah, it was a fairly bigoted statement on my part.

I forgot who I heard this from, but it seems as if the Press is the upper body strength execise and the Bench Press is the upper body power exercise. Does anyone else view it as so?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Yeah, it was a fairly bigoted statement on my part.

I forgot who I heard this from, but it seems as if the Press is the upper body strength execise and the Bench Press is the upper body power exercise. Does anyone else view it as so?
the options you've laid out look like a casserole recipe.

it's not a political question. one or more of those pressing movements will help you reach your goals. figure out which it is for you by trying one and seeing what it does for your lifts.