Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 05-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #31
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If you are referring to Dima he was actually around 200 lbs and jacked. Nowhere close to 240. I know because I asked him -- since we have to know what our weights are on chairs if things if some balancing poses are going to work.

That and he had some beastly Russian genetics.

Likely ~10% BF if that's what Dave is basing the photo above.

You'd probably be better off trying to get 220-230 at 15%. Then try to cut down to 10-12% then maybe rebulk back up depending.
Wait, Dima was only 200lbs? You gotta be kidding me. I swear I heard someone say 240lbs before, and he certainly looked it. But yeah, as I mentioned in my last post, guys like him are rare. However, he was only 200lbs, then that does give me more hope that at 220-230lbs, I could be a solid base for a potential triple illusion. Something like me/Sven/you would be a possibility, no? Of course, that's assuming you trust me enough.

Darryl, honey is good stuff, but I never liked schwigging it out of the bottle. Of course, shooting olive oil is even worse (especially when it's warm room temperature stuff) so I think I'll give that a consideration. Just putting some on my meat (chicken + honey = awesome) could probably give a 200-400 good extra calories of nutritionally solid stuff.

Ok, so I'll concede that the numbers I've stated before are probably unreasonable, because my mental perception of what those numbers meant was inaccurate. But that being said, I'm probably still going to shoot for solid 230lbs (as in a 230lbs that isn't me being 220lbs plus 10lbs of food in my stomach that'll be gone by the following afternoon), then start doing some cardio and dieting more carefully to see where that takes me before thinking of making and further changes.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #32
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Josh, Scott, and one other person did a triple illusion. You don't a base with massive amounts of weight -- just people with solid illusions who can lean A LOT.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #33
Patrick Donnelly

Those coaches never cease to surprise me. Really though, with the number of times they have surprised me, I should no longer be surprised when I hear stuff like that.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #34
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Darryl, honey is good stuff, but I never liked schwigging it out of the bottle. Of course, shooting olive oil is even worse (especially when it's warm room temperature stuff) so I think I'll give that a consideration. Just putting some on my meat (chicken + honey = awesome) could probably give a 200-400 good extra calories of nutritionally solid stuff.
If you don't like the idea of taking honey straight from the bottle you may want to consider adding some healthy high calorie snacks to your diet. Eating just 100g of raisins + 50g of redskin peanuts a day for example would add an easy 579 kcal to your diet with 86g of carbs, 16g of protein and 25.5g of fat plus a healthy dose of resveratrol.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #35
Brandon Oto

Some useful wisdom here for lean body mass: http://www.weightrainer.net/potential.html
Old 05-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #36
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

I read the title, read DVS's correct advice, saw that it was ignored, and skipped everything after page 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
squat more. press more. pull more. i'm afraid it's that simple.
That's it. That's f'n it. Any good plan for mass gain, including diet, should be able to be written on a 3x3" post-it. Any longer and it sucks.

Here's the plan I have used for getting bigger and stronger.

1) Squat, press, pull, and carry. Heavy and often.

2) Eat 100g whey + 2 lbs. of meat every day as a baseline. Then eat whatever on top of that.

It's stupid that this always takes up four pages with everybody pontificating about what works and what to tweak. You're smart enough to know what to do Patrick. You're also smart enough to know that you can't reconcile incompatible goals.

Dave answered the question three posts in. Take it or leave it.

Last edited by Gant Grimes; 05-28-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #37
Anoop Balachandran

Even if you gain weight, with all the body weight stuff you are doing, it is guaranteed that you won't put much muscle.

So when you cut down from 250 back to 220 or 230 whatever, you won't look anywhere close to what you are expecting.

The whole point of bulking up is to put on as much as muscle as possible. Not to eat a lot of food and get fat and cut back.

An it is not about milk, it is about getting as many calories the easy way. When eat that much food, protein intake is the least thing to worry about. You will get enough and more.
Anoop Balachandran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #38
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Even if you gain weight, with all the body weight stuff you are doing, it is guaranteed that you won't put much muscle.
Absolutely wrong.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #39
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Absolutely wrong.
it's a scientifical fact that gymnastics will leave a person frail and unmuscular.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #40
Anoop Balachandran

So are you saying he is better off doing body weight stuff than doing squats, dead lift and press's with weights if he wants to put muscle?

He might put some muscle but that's definitely limited because there is no progression in weights with body weight stuff.
Anoop Balachandran is offline   Reply With Quote