Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 02-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
kevin mckay

Default IF + caffeine= !

Does IF intensify the effect of caffeine for others as well?
The combo also really seems to improve my wod performance?
kevin mckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

I've found that I'm a LOT more sensitive to caffeine now that I'm IF'ing.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
Bobby Spencer

Yes, IF definitely cuts down on the amount of caffeine that I use. When not fasting, I usually drink about 4-5 cups of coffee. When I am fasting, however, I take 2 green tea caps upon rising and that is just about it. I also take a multi and some L-carnitine. My energy is great when fasting and when I fast, don't eat or drink anything.
Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I beseech you therefore,brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1
Bobby Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
Steve Shafley

Yeah.

When I'm IFing more than 2-3 days in the row, I have to switch from brewed coffee to either espresso or the french press.

I think it's effects with yerba mate (which I'm out of) are even more pronounced, maybe due to the broader range of xanthines found in mate.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
Chris Forbis

On a fasting day (one evening meal) I can't drink coffee or it will keep me up past my bed time (12 hours later).

On a feed day, it doesn't cause nearly as much of a problem. Though it still gets me amped up like crazy.

Note: I am WAY sensitive. I cut out drinking it every day from blood pressure issues. So now I have it 2 or 3 times per week.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
Stuart Mather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Spencer View Post
Yes, IF definitely cuts down on the amount of caffeine that I use. When not fasting, I usually drink about 4-5 cups of coffee. When I am fasting, however, I take 2 green tea caps upon rising and that is just about it. I also take a multi and some L-carnitine. My energy is great when fasting and when I fast, don't eat or drink anything.
You don't drink during the entire fasting period? What happens if it's hot. Do you just dehydrate?

Also, a lot of the vit/min in a multi require food, to be absorbed. What's the point of taking it during a fast?

The carnitne makes more sense to me. Just to confirm, it's to help your fasting body burn fat, right?.

Stuart
Stuart Mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
Bobby Spencer

Default Sorry to not have responded to these IF questions sooner

Although I have done If's for the health benefits, now I fast strictly for religious purposes. I like the positives in terms of health and performance but they are secondary to the spiritual benefits of fasting, IMHO. (BTW, the "H" there is for humble).

To your questions:
1. If I am fasting over the course of a couple of days, I make sure that I meet my daily caloric goals and drink at least 1-1.5 gallons of water during my window for eating. My fasting always begins upon waking and usually lasts to either 12 or 3pm and I neither drink nor eat anything. Yes, it is difficult. But is is almost always a corporate fast, that my church participates in as a body and we believe that we are suffering for the cause of Christ as the Bible calls us to fast at certain times. If I am on a religious fast individually, I might have some water and coffee during the day.

Dikembe Mutumbo, a Muslim and one of the NBA's all-time greats, used to partake in Ramadan during the NBA season. If you are not familiar with Ramadan, it involves fasting during the daylight hours for an entire month.

2. I know that fat soluble vitamins need some sort of food to be absorbed and that it makes little sense to take them during a fast, but I take them out of habit and I like to think that they offer some nutritional support in the absence of food for such a long period.

--As for the ALCAR, I am not for sure but I believe that there are benefits to taking it during a fast.
Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I beseech you therefore,brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1
Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Dikembe Mutumbo, a Muslim and one of the NBA's all-time greats, used to partake in Ramadan during the NBA season. If you are not familiar with Ramadan, it involves fasting during the daylight hours for an entire month.
Hakeem Olajuwon used to do this also.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
Bobby Spencer

Default Oops, inexcusable mistake from an NBA fan

Sorry. I meant to say Hakeem Olajuwan aka "The Dream", University of Houston alum and member of Phi Slamma Jamma Fraternity, Inc. Definitely one of the NBA's all-time greats . I am not sure whether or not Mutombo is Muslim nor am I convinced about his place among the NBA's greats. Mutombo has had a long career and is probably up among the Association's all-time leaders in blocks.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Sorry. I meant to say Hakeem Olajuwan aka "The Dream", University of Houston alum and member of Phi Slamma Jamma Fraternity, Inc. Definitely one of the NBA's all-time greats . I am not sure whether or not Mutombo is Muslim nor am I convinced about his place among the NBA's greats. Mutombo has had a long career and is probably up among the Association's all-time leaders in blocks.
Yeah, Mutombo is probably an all-time great in terms of defense (in his prime). He's second in blocks all-time to Hakeem.

Olajuwon in his prime though... one of the best ever. Can't beat the Dream Shake...