Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Zach Mitchell

Default overhead press from behind the neck

i have read Bill Starr talk about the unnatural stress/strain this movement puts on the shoulder girdle. in a first-time trial this morning during a press strength session, my athlete did not display the same "sore/tight/stiff neck symptoms that he would otherwise have if he performed the movement from the the front rack position.

the athlete also says that he can do handstand push-ups or dumb-bell presses without the same pain sensation cause when pressing with a barbell from the front rack position.

admittedly i haven't done much searching because coming here and asking a question makes it much easier (safer) to filter crappy information. what kind of resources would i search for? search terms? specific sources?

re-reading this i suppose my question is not clear. i simply want my athlete to be able to perform barbell presses without his neck bothering him. is behind the neck presses dangerous?
Zach Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Mitchell View Post
i have read Bill Starr talk about the unnatural stress/strain this movement puts on the shoulder girdle. in a first-time trial this morning during a press strength session, my athlete did not display the same "sore/tight/stiff neck symptoms that he would otherwise have if he performed the movement from the the front rack position.

the athlete also says that he can do handstand push-ups or dumb-bell presses without the same pain sensation cause when pressing with a barbell from the front rack position.

admittedly i haven't done much searching because coming here and asking a question makes it much easier (safer) to filter crappy information. what kind of resources would i search for? search terms? specific sources?

re-reading this i suppose my question is not clear. i simply want my athlete to be able to perform barbell presses without his neck bothering him. is behind the neck presses dangerous?
pbn seem like it was a staple of many lifters for many many years. i think it might be like the overhead squat, many people just lack the baseline mobility and strenght in those positions to do it safely or with much load. i don't think it's inherently dangerous until overloaded. maybe it's not a good max effort type pressing move though..

if your athlete finds them comfortable, you might just try it including very light in the warm up and see how it goes.

otoh, if it's pressign strength that you're improving and need a workaround for a shoulder,elbow,neck issue; floor presses are a good go to move. parallel grip even better. you can move from these to bench to incline progressively.

i realize i didn't answer your question. somone else will get my rebound i'm sure.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Whatever doesn't bother him is whatever doesn't bother him

BTN can be dangerous with a lack of shoulder mobility or oddly shaped shoulder structures such as the acromion. If it's not bothering him then have at it IMO.

If something is bothering him with the rack position especially in the C-spine area that says to me he has some type of mobility or posture issues that need to be corrected.

If BTN doesn't hurt that's a fine work around or can be a staple. Otherwise, there still are other alternatives like dave said. I find that BTN stuff and upright rows are somewhat questionable for some people, but hey if it doesn't bother you or your athletes then go for it.