Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 06-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
Chris Butler

Default Step ups anyone?

Anyone doing/done these? Thoughts? Opinions?

I never really took them seriously.
http://www.overspeedtraining.com/legsart.htm
Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Kevin Perry

I think step ups are useful, of course add heavy weight to them especially a loaded barbell.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Joe Hart

So I didn't really read the article...I have read a few others, namely Wendler's 5/3/1 and the Beast Skills guy and they both seem to like step ups as an assistance to squating and doing pistols.

So I would like to start doing step ups when I get the money to buy a bench/box for step ups. In the grand tool box of things I think that it is something to keep in mind. It should just work to your goals.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
Donald Lee

I've heard Angel Spassov's name before, but I don't really know much about him. I wonder if Bondarchuk and others are being misrepresented in that article. I know Bondarchuk is highly regarded, and he has results as both an athlete and coach.

Here's an excerpt from an interview of Taranenko in 1987:

Quote:
B.C. What strength exercises do you favor?

Taranenko: The back squat is the most important strength exercise. I usually squat every day, sometimes more than once-a-day. My best back squat is 380 kg (837 lbs). But this is with a two-second pause at the bottom.

B.C. How many reps per set?

Taranenko: Usually no more than three. However, I occasionally do sets of five for explosive speed. I can use 300 kg for sets of five, done rapidly. Typically, I pause at the bottom for a count of two, when doing squats.

B.C. Do you have problems with sore knees?

Taranenko: No.

B.C. Do you do front squats?

Taranenko: No. I used to do front squats about twice a week, but stopped some years when I was able to do 300 kg for three reps. At that point I felt I was way beyond what I need to recover effectively from the clean. And besides, that much weight is an excessive load on the chest.

B.C. Do you do bench step-ups and lunges?

Taranenko: Yes. I do the step-ups occasionally, just to exercise the legs while unloading the spine. The lunges are not big deal, I use them once in a while as a change of pace.
I've done the step up for long timed sets and for low reps. They were very effective in improving the strength endurance in my legs for running. I didn't stick with the low reps long enough to see any real results for that.

I could ask around on some other forums that have people who have read Bondarchuk's work for their opinions if anybody wants.

Here's are reviews of both volumes of Bondarchuk's "Transfer of Training in Sport":

http://www.mbingisser.com/2010/03/tr...orts-volume-1/

http://www.mbingisser.com/2010/04/tr...orts-volume-2/
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
Donald Lee

Here's also an excerpt from an interview of Bondarchuk:

Quote:
What is the major problem with US hammer throwing or US throwing in
general?

Bondarchuk: The system of technique and strength has not changed in hammer,
discus or shot for 20-30 years. In 1972 my technique was as good or better than
some top US hammer throwers today. That was 36 years ago, this should not be the case. The US is always thinking about maximum strength. Until the US realizes the research of special and dynamic strength, there will be minimal hammer throwers over 80 meters. After 1975 in Europe the average athlete no longer used a full squat, only quarter squats, step ups and jump squats. Maybe the US is too influenced by bodybuilding and power lifting which takes their focus away from
special strength. The US has not progressed technically in 40-50 years with the
hammer. There has been very little progress since Hal Connolly, outside of maybe
Deal but even Deal did not have near the technique he could have achieved. Deal's technique was 50/50, he did not push the ball but he also did not pull the ball.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #6
robby mor

Another tool in the toolbox.
No more and no less.
Squats are a must to create a good solid strength foundation, on top of this you should use various exersices to develop your individual potential.
Which exersices, frequency and so on are all part of the art of coaching
robby mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
Mark Fenner

I find that step-ups are my #1 goto exercise when my knees start aching while I am hiking. Two-three weeks of adding step-ups (note: adding, not replacing other leg work), and I'm usually good to go. I usually go for the 3 sets of 8 ballpark (always a good starting range).

Best,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Steve Shafley

I'm pretty sure that article was a complete fabrication.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Kevin Perry

well I didn't bother reading the article I just based my opinion on what was out of the 531 ebook and my own experience. Too many articles on the internet to read that I would rather go out and try it on my own and see how my body responds.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
Chris Butler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
I'm pretty sure that article was a complete fabrication.
How so?
Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote