Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 06-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
Frank Needham

Yeah, sometimes what not to do can be instructive also.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I can usually get to about 19-20 before having to pause for singles.

I think I'll switch over to doing PU's more frequently like you guys suggested. One question, how many days per week should I go to exhaustion? I imagine I should do it at least once so I can see if I'm progressing, but not more than twice because of the load on the CNS.
You can go to failure pretty often. You maybe even should do so to train your higher threshold fibers. Especially with your endurance capabilities, your body should be able to recover. Don't do dropset type of supra-failure/rest-pause stuff too often.

Also, in the military, they've never heard of CNS not recovering with going to failure. Just in case you don't know, the training in the military isn't 'optimal', but you just do it. You might have in mind what is proper training and proper rest; they would probably think you're being a weak, lazy ass.

Just so you know, you should throw out all the S&C you know when you're in SEARS or whatever. The only training knowledge that might be helpful is prehab and rehab knowledge because you'll be sore all over and start developing overuse injuries. I don't know if they care about your health at all where you're going, but the 2nd time I went to OCS, they hooked us up with foam rollers and the rolling sticks. And, they'd give us days where our PT consisted of stretching because of a hard day the day before. The Marine Corps has gotten soft. The first time I went, I woke up everyday sore and feeling like I wouldn't be able to train and somehow willed my body through it after feeling very heavy during the warmups. People who drop out of SEARS seem to drop out because they're not mentally tough enough, so I'd prepare yourself mentally just as much as physically.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Needham View Post
The current world record holder's methods my be of some interest to you. http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rd-by-224-reps.
He has just recently set another record.
That kid is pretty articulate and knowledgeable for a 16-year old. I bet he'll be breaking some more records before he's done.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Needham View Post
Yeah, sometimes what not to do can be instructive also.
Good point. Case in point: Crossfit injury forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
You can go to failure pretty often. You maybe even should do so to train your higher threshold fibers. Especially with your endurance capabilities, your body should be able to recover. Don't do dropset type of supra-failure/rest-pause stuff too often.

Also, in the military, they've never heard of CNS not recovering with going to failure. Just in case you don't know, the training in the military isn't 'optimal', but you just do it. You might have in mind what is proper training and proper rest; they would probably think you're being a weak, lazy ass.

Good point, I've heard that's how the military operates. On the other hand, while I've heard of lots of Marines who can bang out 20 pullups, I've not heard of too many people who can do 30 good ones with military PT alone.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #15
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Blah blah blah program program program.

PT 10 pounds off your ass and don't let go of the damn bar. There's 2 more. Problem solved.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #16
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
PT 10 pounds off your ass
Dude, I'm 156#.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #17
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dude, I'm 156#.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #18
Donald Lee

Quote:
Good point, I've heard that's how the military operates. On the other hand, while I've heard of lots of Marines who can bang out 20 pullups, I've not heard of too many people who can do 30 good ones with military PT alone.
I think military PT blows. I was referring more toward the training you have to go through before you're out in the fleet. I do think the un-'optimal' training is very useful though, at times, and if it's implemented smartly. Training in optimal conditions and having that translate to un-optimal conditions can be surprisingly different. You'll see what I mean.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Matt Cricchio
This message has been deleted by Matt Cricchio.